[PSA] Met all the basic requirements but Microsoft's tool still says your PC can't run Windows 11? It might be your CPU, but don't throw them out yet.

D13H4RD
4 minutes ago, darkdarkdrag0n said:

i see 1 of 4 things happining with this hardware requierments of 2018 or newer and tpm 2.0

It's not hardware requirements for running, rather installing requirements of the current "leaked" build. (If trying to install traditionally)

I have 11 on external SSD and it runs fine on a Core 2 Duo machine with integrated graphics.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

It's not hardware requirements for running, rather installing requirements of the current "leaked" build. (If trying to install traditionally)

I have 11 on external SSD and it runs fine on a Core 2 Duo machine with integrated graphics.

my point is that there are ppl out there that are barly computer literate and this is going to be a unnessacary expencive barrier for them
im all for progress and security {ware its needed} but these requierments {restrictions} should be optional for the user to decide if thay want to make shure there hardware can support it and enable it
here is an example of a situation
i live in south africa and my mother lives in usa i am the one that remotely helps her when she has tech problems
she can be talked easly through a normal os installation over the phone but there is no way she would underdatand any thing of how to manualy extract and install the *.wim
and there are alot of ppl out there that are in a simaler situation [excep the over seas part] and cant afford newer hardware 
some cant even afort it with in the 3 1/2 years remaing of win 10 becouse thay have to save up for it

some of these ppl it comes down to medicen/food or new electronics of any kind
there is several ppl in that situation in the area my mother lives
examples: low income housing, nusing homes, disabled/elderly housing, retierment vligages, low income famalys, single parrents, financially limited students

my point is it is unfair to these groups to expect them to shell out money thay barly can afford just so that can still use a pc in 3 years or that only us who are tech savy to be able to get around these blocks

i speak from experienc of these groups i grew up with a single parrent and have lived time to time in low income housing and i am disabled and have lived as an adult in a disabled housing comunity , have struggled with education and training costs before
currently self empoyed electronic repair and servicing

sorry and please excuse me if this comes off as a rant, it is not my intention

16 hours ago, Kisai said:

Just to step back to the "can I use the firmware tpm?"

<snip>

That's from the manual for my board. Note the warning that if the BIOS ROM is replaced, the system is hosed. So that's not entirely different than how it would be on a laptop.

That's in reference to BitLocker.

If you update the BIOS, then Windows will prompt to enter the BitLocker recovery key upon a subsequent reboot. That's why it's important to suspend (not disable) BitLocker prior to performing an update so you don't encounter that.

So long as you've got the recovery key on file (stored externally) or printed out, it's not a big deal. Just a PITA to have to manually retype the key. 🙄

My entire household of machines don't meet the requirements of Windows 11.

The biggest thing that makes me a mad is most people are going to throw their computers into a landfill.

Because:

1. They do not have a recycling program where they live.
  2. They are unwilling or don't know how to use Linux.
  3. Microsoft is forcing them if they want to keep current.

I can smoothly browse the web with an old Core 2 Duo & 4GB of RAM on Windows 10 with an SSD.

Recycling centers are going to have a hard time keeping afloat as they will no longer be able to refurbish older machines with new/replacement parts to make a good low-cost machine for someone to browse the web with because they will no longer be able to install Windows because of these requirements.

The value of metal and components in a computer even in tons does not make enough money to keep a building going without a show room with working equipment for sale.

I actually am a part of a recycling center. We had for two years a Linux section of computers that were 50% cheaper than their Windows counterparts. We have TWO people come in TWO YEARS that actually purchased a Linux computer.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

I didn't even try the tool, I usually upgrade the OS when I change my hardware but the secure boot is annoying as hell if you want to boot from USB, it just makes your life harder for no reason. I've never used a new OS at launch because I always remember the problem at the beginning even windows 10 at launch was that great.

On 6/26/2021 at 7:21 AM, D13H4RD said:

Hot Take on my end (100% speculation): I think this might be related to security. IIRC, newer generation CPUs have started employing hardware-level fixes for known exploits. Given the big push for security with W11, this might be plausible.

Of course, the cynic in me feels like this is a way to push PC upgrades. The incredibly poor level of communication surrounding this doesn't help.

Big push for security, by not allowing users to install a newer OS entirely? On what planet does that make any kind of sense?

What's the latest on the CPU list?  Is it considered a "hard" or "soft" requirement?  My system passes the WIn11 check after enabling PTT, even though it's a 7th gen rig.  This would imply the CPU list is a "soft" one, right?

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |