Changing TPM Device Selection from Discrete TPM to Firmware TPM

Wolf1596Games

After the announcement of Windows 11, I checked my PC to see if it is capable of running Windows 11 (even though I was sure it was). But to my surprise, it said it couldn't run it. After some digging, I learned that it may be because I don't have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM). The one workaround I found was to change the TPM setting in the BIOS from Discrete to Firmware TPM, but when I go to change it, I get a warning that pops up (shown in the attached image). I don't have a discrete TPM, so I don't think it'll cause any problems (if I'm to believe what I've read) but I'm not an expert, so I wanted some extra opinions. If I change it from Discrete TPM to Firmware TPM, will anything break? 

20210624_213058.jpg

I have exactly the same question, My Asus H270F Motherboard has 'Discrete TPM' selected with 'Firmware TPM' available to select.
Discrete TPM refers to the fact that on the Motherboard I would need to install an external Hardware 14-1 Pin TPM Module which isn't already included / integrated.

If I change to the BIOS setting to 'Firmware TPM', what are the risks... and will this meet the TPM requirements for Windows 11?

13 hours ago, Wolf1596Games said:

After the announcement of Windows 11, I checked my PC to see if it is capable of running Windows 11 (even though I was sure it was). But to my surprise, it said it couldn't run it. After some digging, I learned that it may be because I don't have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM). The one workaround I found was to change the TPM setting in the BIOS from Discrete to Firmware TPM, but when I go to change it, I get a warning that pops up (shown in the attached image). I don't have a discrete TPM, so I don't think it'll cause any problems (if I'm to believe what I've read) but I'm not an expert, so I wanted some extra opinions. If I change it from Discrete TPM to Firmware TPM, will anything break? 

20210624_213058.jpg

Nothing will break if you aren't using a discrete TPM.

11 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

Nothing will break if you aren't using a discrete TPM.

I've read somewhere that using the Firmware TPM could cause other problems after the fact. What risks would it pose if I change it to Firmware TPM? 

4 hours ago, Wolf1596Games said:

I've read somewhere that using the Firmware TPM could cause other problems after the fact. What risks would it pose if I change it to Firmware TPM? 

Some apps can sometimes throw errors with firmware TPM if it's configured badly, I saw it from someone else. But I'd say, 99.9% of time, it should be fine.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:43 AM, Wolf1596Games said:

As far as I understand, Firmware TPM means the system will use the TPM chip that's integrated with the CPU. Discrete TPM will use the TPM chip that's connected externally.

I have an i7-6700k and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard. Using the Discrete TPM option, the Windows 11 checker failed to pass the TPM check, probably because there aren't any Discrete TPM available on motherboard. But when I changed the settings to Firmware TPM, the checker successfully detects the TPM chip and passes. The only thing that gets a question mark is the CPU, since 6th gen isn't officially supported yet. I guess, it's still better than nothing since TPM chips are getting scalped and prices are going high now.

image_2021-06-27_13-23-00.png

On 6/26/2021 at 2:50 AM, RTX 3071 said:

Some apps can sometimes throw errors with firmware TPM if it's configured badly, I saw it from someone else. But I'd say, 99.9% of time, it should be fine.

What if I, say, have to reset my CMOS one day due to a BIOS problem? I've read that it could cause issues then. I want to make sure if I do this, I'm not putting my pc at risk just because I did the wrong thing after enabling Firmware TPM.

48 minutes ago, Wolf1596Games said:

What if I, say, have to reset my CMOS one day due to a BIOS problem? I've read that it could cause issues then. I want to make sure if I do this, I'm not putting my pc at risk just because I did the wrong thing after enabling Firmware TPM.

If you are using the default platform keys then I don't think that there'll be a problem but I can't guarantee it. This whole TPM situation is fairly new, nobody cared about them before Windows 11, and nobody knows everything about them right now.

I have an Intel Asus ROG Strix Z390-F motherboard with UEFI Bios 2.20.1271. 

The Windows 11 compatibility checker was failing and telling me I don't have TPM 2.0 (I do have a supported 9th gen CPU, i9-9900K ). 

went into the bios and under Advanced\PCH-FW Configuration and found TMP Device Selection, which was set to Discreet TPM.  I just changed it to Firmware TMP, accepted the horrible warning notice that pops up and saved and rebooted.  Fyi, secure boot was already enabled on my system  

I ran the Windows 11 compatibility checker again and this time everything passed with a green tick.  

My PC seems fine so far, no immediately obvious issues for me.  Hopefully this helps somebody else.

14 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

If you are using the default platform keys then I don't think that there'll be a problem but I can't guarantee it. This whole TPM situation is fairly new, nobody cared about them before Windows 11, and nobody knows everything about them right now.

Yeah I'll probably wait a while until more information is available. We've still got plenty of time until W11 comes out anyway. 

12 hours ago, DickJones said:

I have an Intel Asus ROG Strix Z390-F motherboard with UEFI Bios 2.20.1271. 

The Windows 11 compatibility checker was failing and telling me I don't have TPM 2.0 (I do have a supported 9th gen CPU, i9-9900K ). 

went into the bios and under Advanced\PCH-FW Configuration and found TMP Device Selection, which was set to Discreet TPM.  I just changed it to Firmware TMP, accepted the horrible warning notice that pops up and saved and rebooted.  Fyi, secure boot was already enabled on my system  

I ran the Windows 11 compatibility checker again and this time everything passed with a green tick.  

My PC seems fine so far, no immediately obvious issues for me.  Hopefully this helps somebody else.

Yeah it's that warning notice that concerns me. I'm fairly certain that nothing bad will happen, at least immediately, but I'm concerned about what could happen later on down the line, as I mentioned in a previous comment. 

10 hours ago, Wolf1596Games said:

Yeah it's that warning notice that concerns me. I'm fairly certain that nothing bad will happen, at least immediately, but I'm concerned about what could happen later on down the line, as I mentioned in a previous comment. 

Yes, I do completely understand your thinking. 

I read the BIOS warning notice and considered it.  I decided that over the last 25+ years I have never needed to replaced my BIOS ROM chip and I'm unlikely to want to now.  Most likely I will be replacing the board either when I upgrade my PC at some point in the future, or sooner if there were a hardware fault outside of warranty.  I decided that for me it wasn't a huge concern and that I would go for it.  I do appreciate that the warning notice is a bit off putting.

My post was really just to confirm for anyone else interested that for me at least, it all seems okay and that the Windows 11 compatibility checker was passing as expected after making this change. 🙂

Best of luck with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Out of my curiosity about the TPM and if my Desktop is capable to run the Windows 11 i changed the TPM Device Selection from Discrete to Firmware TPM.

It popped up the same message to me. I saved the changes and when restart happened i got this error 
A disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I checked online for solutions ( checked the SATA cables, reset the motherboard). But still i get the same error.

My motherboard is Asus ROG Strix B250G Gaming.

If anyone has any idea how to overcome this issue please reply.

3 hours ago, DimG77 said:

Hello everyone,

Out of my curiosity about the TPM and if my Desktop is capable to run the Windows 11 i changed the TPM Device Selection from Discrete to Firmware TPM.

It popped up the same message to me. I saved the changes and when restart happened i got this error 
A disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I checked online for solutions ( checked the SATA cables, reset the motherboard). But still i get the same error.

My motherboard is Asus ROG Strix B250G Gaming.

If anyone has any idea how to overcome this issue please reply.

Does your CPU support Firmware TPM? What's your CPU?

Honestly, i m not sure what i have to do.

I think i have 2 options.

1. Remove the CPU and install it again to see if by miracle works
  2. Buy a new CPU 😞

If you have any other idea please reply.

Also one last thing i want to point out as you can see in the screenshot my Motherboard has TPM Pins. 

Do you know if i have to connect something there?

TPM.png

7 hours ago, DimG77 said:

Also one last thing i want to point out as you can see in the screenshot my Motherboard has TPM Pins. 

Do you know if i have to connect something there?

TPM.png

No, with firmware TPM you don't need that. 

• 4 weeks later...

My question is below the enable TPM is an option: Erase fTPM NV for factory reset. Options Enable or disable. 

I have no clue what this means, or what option to pick when changing to hardware tpm. Any advice would be great!

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:43 PM, Wolf1596Games said:

20210624_213058.jpg

Discrete tpm only means that the tpm is deactivated. Firmware tpm will just active the chip on your motherboard. The notice message will always appear. I did not take any further steps after enabling firmware tpm and my pc is ready for windows 11. Hope it helps. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, but what if your MB fails and you need to replace your MB, are you still SOL?  Wouldn't that be the equivalent of changing the BIOS ROM chip?

• 7 months later...

hello there,

im new here

i exactly have same problem

but the thing is when i change to firmware tpm and save and reboot

when i go back to bios i see its changed back to Discrete TPM

my cpu is i3 -10100F and motherboard asus H410M-k r2

any suggestion? i dont think i have TPM header installed since i did not buy one

On 6/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, Wolf1596Games said:

20210624_213058.jpg

If I switch from discrete TPM to Firmware TPM, will my pc be fine? I'm trying to install windows 11 my CPU is a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor