Undervolt i5-1035G1

Greeting,

I tried to undervolt my i5 processor. The laptop model is Acer Aspire 5, A515-55. I have an MX 350 graphics card, and as they are cooled via the same heat pipe, the performance drops a lot due to the high temperature, I changed the thermal paste, the performance is a bit better, but I wonder if anyone has experience with undervolt, I tried Throttlestop but my FIVR locked.

I managed to put the oldest BIOS available on Acer.com, but it didn’t help. I tried to change the IRF images of the BIOS but it didn't want to load everything so it was unsuccessful. I was able to install Intel XTU but it returns the "Unable to start Intel Exstreme Tuning Utility because the drivers are not present" error again, and I downloaded the drivers.
Any information would come in handy, I would like to get the best performance from Intel.

Thanks in advance everyone.

For low power processors amd is better, for gaming processors intel is better (tiger lake h/11th gen cpus).

A ryzen 5 4500u would crush that i5 while prob consuming the same amount of power + can be oced.

Im assuming you went intel cause theres no other option, i think theres a way to bypass the drivers not present error but idk where i found it and i dont remember what website.

Some potentially usefull resources

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/37095-dells-disabling-undervolting-on-their-laptops-heres-how-to-re-enable-it/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fzv599/xps_7590_160_uefi_unlock_undervolting_and_remove/

@Disburst Intel XTU no longer supports Intel's low power G and U series.

If ThrottleStop shows Locked then you cannot undervolt your CPU. The BIOS has set the lock bit. You would need to modify the BIOS to clear the lock bit. 

@Somerandomtechyboi first I looked to take an AMD processor, a ryzen 5 4500u, I looked at all the benchmark and AMD crush Intel, but it wasn’t in stock. My only option was to take Intel.

Thanks for the links, any information is welcome.

@unclewebbYes, I know it doesn't support XTU, but I've found on the internet that some have tried to work around it.
The only chance then is to modify the BIOS, I tried but maybe I'm doing something wrong. When I unpack the BIOS images, it doesn't open everything I need, I got to that part and got stuck.

Do you have a good website for that?

Have you tried older versions of XTU? A lot isn't supported for Haswell in the latest version, but going backward it still works fine on version 5.something. Find the oldest version that supports your gen of CPU, it may just work!

@BitterI also tried the old version, I'm not sure which one it was exactly, but I could try some more old versions but I think my bigger problem is that it's locked in the BIOS settings. If I changed that I could be undervolt over Throttlestop, At least I think so.

1 hour ago, Disburst said:

@BitterI also tried the old version, I'm not sure which one it was exactly, but I could try some more old versions but I think my bigger problem is that it's locked in the BIOS settings. If I changed that I could be undervolt over Throttlestop, At least I think so.

I've use XTU on Haswell platforms with locked BIOS plenty, but maybe something is different now.  I'm sorry I don't have experience with 10th gen stuff just yet.

If you can find release notes that chronicle older versions you can find the version that first supports your CPU and try that one or some after it till you hit the most stable version that still works.

@BitterI tried, but my processor was never supported. I managed to download but it doesn't work with my microcode. Thanks anyway.

19 minutes ago, Disburst said:

@BitterI tried, but my processor was never supported. I managed to download but it doesn't work with my microcode. Thanks anyway.

Bummer dude, sorry to hear that. Also sorry to hear that for myself as well.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, Disburst said:

Greeting,

I tried to undervolt my i5 processor. The laptop model is Acer Aspire 5, A515-55. I have an MX 350 graphics card, and as they are cooled via the same heat pipe, the performance drops a lot due to the high temperature, I changed the thermal paste, the performance is a bit better, but I wonder if anyone has experience with undervolt, I tried Throttlestop but my FIVR locked.

I managed to put the oldest BIOS available on Acer.com, but it didn’t help. I tried to change the IRF images of the BIOS but it didn't want to load everything so it was unsuccessful. I was able to install Intel XTU but it returns the "Unable to start Intel Exstreme Tuning Utility because the drivers are not present" error again, and I downloaded the drivers.
Any information would come in handy, I would like to get the best performance from Intel.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi man, i have the same specs laptop, (and it is acer too), and i was trying the undervolt via throttlestop, i did the undervolting on the MX350, but the laptop was still too hot, and i was researching for undervolting on the processor, but via throttlestop it was all locked, in the FIVR. Then watching some videos, i found the version 8.7 of the throttlestop, and it's not locked

@Swittzo ThrottleStop 9.4 makes it obvious when the BIOS has locked the voltage control register. Using an old version of ThrottleStop does not unlock anything. Look at the monitoring table in the top right corner of the FIVR window. It will show you if any offset voltages are being applied. If the CPU is locked, it will show +0.0000

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, unclewebb said:

@Swittzo ThrottleStop 9.4 makes it obvious when the BIOS has locked the voltage control register. Using an old version of ThrottleStop does not unlock anything. Look at the monitoring table in the top right corner of the FIVR window. It will show you if any offset voltages are being applied. If the CPU is locked, it will show +0.0000

Ah, i tried it, and it show what you just said, the offset voltage jus show + 0.0000. There is one way for doing undervolting on this CPU?