Need Help Building a NAS

Hey everyone,

My roommates and I just moved out and we all have pcs and we all plan to stream. We want an easy way to store all our videos to go back and record them and thought a NAS would be the perfect thing. The issue I’m having rn is whether I should go all in on a 2200/3200g or cheap out and get an a10 or a12 for the apu.  I’d rather go AMD because I have a mobo lykng around from the shuffle.

part list besides the apu.

Case: Phanteks p200

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8gbx1 3200 CL16

Mobo: AsRock B550M steel legend.

PSU: EVGA 450W 80+Silver

Cooler: Wraith Prism

Boot/OS Drive: Some 120gb m.2

NAS Drive: Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

24 minutes ago, JSuwyn21 said:

AsRock B550M steel legend.

Id just sell this and get a cheaper board for a celeron /i3. Should be cheaper overall

Id probably just get a basic synology here, cheaper, lower power and smaller.

4 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

yea but its also a shit system that is so old it only supports SATA 2 and has a super weak CPU

I have several, they work perfectly for data storage, video streaming and RAID.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

You don't want a system like that for a NAS.

First of all, what's with the fast memory? Get the slow and cheap stuff. Also, no "cool" memory, just the plain green bare PCB sticks. This is a server, not a gaming rig.

Power supply: over the top. A NAS doesn't have a GPU, or doesn't use its GPU. You can get away with 300W or less.

Boot drive: why m.2? Why not some SATA drive? Far cheaper and again, you don't need the performance here.

CPU/mobo: I'd just get something really cheap. I personally bought a motherboard, with a Q6600 and 8 gigs of ram in it for 30 euros (5 years ago even!). Used hardware is a steal, and it'll do just fine for a NAS. (but don't go used for the power supply or the storage)

Case: It's a server. It might as well be literally inside a carboard box. No one cares how it looks. Go to a website that sells cases, click "sort by price" and get the cheapest case that your hardware fits in.