AMD adds FSR driver support, discontinues support on older GPUs/OSes

porina
2 hours ago, WereCat said:

And so far it looks like the best implementation of FSR yet since you have a slider for render resolution from 40% to 100% which you can move in 1% increments.

At 1440p there is barely any image difference when going down to 80% render resolution, I really have to look hard to find any noticeable difference. At 70% there is a noticeable difference but it's minor. At 40% the difference is quite apparent.

Basically they implemented it the same way regular resolution scaling works. But used FSR's algorithm for upscaling which is superior to those methods. FSR uses fixed resolution ratios, so you can just use a slider to tell it how much you want to dumb down the resolution. Maybe not as simple to use as few fixed presets, but gives you more control if you want to squeeze every last drop of performance and still keep quality you want exactly.

19 hours ago, RejZoR said:

After doing funny combos of DSR and DLSS, I wonder how it would work stacking DLSS and then FSR on top. If you think of it, this isn't like compression where stacking just doesn't work.

Here, it would go like this:

NATIVE -> DLSS (performance gain of rendering at lower res and upscaling to native resolution) -> FSR (performance gain as FSR works on native resolution output from DLSS which it can further decrease in resolution and use its own magic on that).

I just wonder if you can stick FSR between DLSS output and output on the monitor as I have no idea if rendering pipeline allows such a thing or is DLSS output always absolutely final.

I don't see the benefit of doing that even if it worked. Why not just use DLSS to go straight to the final resolution you want? It will probably look and perform better than trying to apply two different upscaling algorithms on top of each other. 

Per RGT, devs have been saying that it takes less than a day to implement and test in a game. Interestingly certain types of AA work better with it than others.