Amazon in the UK, Wasting 124,000 items a week (tech/consumer waste)

7 hours ago, poochyena said:

opening more recycling plants doesn't make it much more practical. Some things, its cheaper and uses less energy to just throw away and make new ones than to recycle.

I don't know. In terms of paper it would just go directly back into the processing. Seems like it would be cheaper since it's skipping some processing steps.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Only if those recycling plants are actually recycling stuff, for example a lot of electronic items just get shredded then get sent to be melted down to recover the valuable metals in the chips and circuit boards. I think its a real shame that good working electronic items get destroyed when at least some of it should be reused first.

We could recycle them China style.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Only if those recycling plants are actually recycling stuff, for example a lot of electronic items just get shredded then get sent to be melted down to recover the valuable metals in the chips and circuit boards. I think its a real shame that good working electronic items get destroyed when at least some of it should be reused first.

Technically you just described recycling.  To remove chips and put them in other things is reuse not recycling.  There is some of that but it’s a fantastically labor intensive process and labor is expensive.  There’s a rather specific economy here.  Is it more efficient to use a machine to chop them up or to desoldering stuff by hand?  One takes a lot fewer man hours per item even if the result is less valuable.  Desoldering stuff is done in some areas with the lowest labor costs.  Those chinese lga775 motherboards one occasionally sees are done like that.  It requires extremely low labor costs though and is only economical even then for the most valuable parts. A shame? Fair enough.  I don’t see a way around it myself.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 month later...

https://www.amazonsellers.attorney/blog/want-to-sue-amazon-consider-this-first

US company ofc

So, it is possible to sue Amazon, but, as with everything, prevention is always better than the cure. Although Amazon’s systems are fallible, and may result in unjust discipline against some third-party sellers, a good compliance program to educate third-party sellers and their employees on Amazon’s selling policies, and to put systems into practice to ensure compliance with those policies; whether it be sourcing, listing, packaging, order fulfillment, or shipping, can keep you out of court.

in short, amazon don't want to take responsibility of their own Amazon.com’s ecommerce platform and shift everything to the third party, even if they know that E-waste and illegal products are sold that does not meet the standards of either the US or EU? When it comes to items that are for health, protection and prevention or are just dangerous by poor quality control of items that can be fire hazards, not doing what they are supposed to do (if it's about health or example fire alarms).

to amazons blocking drama in 2016? were returning could be lead to other other values on your account be blocked, from prime or account balance on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/banned-by-amazon-returning-faulty-goods-blocked-credit-balance

Amazon’s Battle Against Product Recalls Is On:

A federal agency wants the e-commerce giant declared a ‘distributor,’ potentially opening it to rising compliance and operational costs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-22/amazon-s-battle-against-product-recalls-is-on-after-safety-regulator-sues

In recent years, dozens of people who say they were harmed by products, such as exploding hoverboards, defective batteries or faulty dog collars, have sued Amazon for compensation. The company argues it’s not liable, pointing instead to the third-party sellers that technically sold the items and are sometimes based overseas beyond the reach of U.S. jurisprudence. Several courts have agreed with Amazon, citing product liability laws that never contemplated online shopping or digital middlemen.

But last week, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission sued Amazon, seeking to compel the company to participate in formal recalls of dozens of defective products sold by merchants on its sprawling marketplace....

besides it's not just amazon that does this, but it's big news if something famous like amazon did this; I wonder why they don't ever do headlines with agriculture's foods that gets purposely destroyed 

besides probably it's also stuff from third party sellers, they are getting rid of that stuff from them

also it's easier and cheaper to get rid of that stuff like that, besides many things are not recyclible, or of they are, they are not how some industries would like you to think:

most of the plastic that you do put in recycling bin gets burned anyway, and even if that low % of plastic that gets recycled it's not infinitely recuperable, futhermore recycled plastic is more expensive to both buy and use than new plastic

imo the whole problem is political

On 6/24/2021 at 7:41 AM, Bombastinator said:

Technically you just described recycling.  To remove chips and put them in other things is reuse not recycling.  There is some of that but it’s a fantastically labor intensive process and labor is expensive.  There’s a rather specific economy here.  Is it more efficient to use a machine to chop them up or to desoldering stuff by hand?  One takes a lot fewer man hours per item even if the result is less valuable.  Desoldering stuff is done in some areas with the lowest labor costs.  Those chinese lga775 motherboards one occasionally sees are done like that.  It requires extremely low labor costs though and is only economical even then for the most valuable parts. A shame? Fair enough.  I don’t see a way around it myself.

you forgot how some industries (who are aganist repair bills) consider that black market, and do whatever is possible to take down such activities 

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

besides it's not just amazon that does this, but it's big news if something famous like amazon did this; I wonder why they don't ever do headlines with agriculture's foods that gets purposely destroyed 

imo the whole problem is political

Maybe if you are in the corporate world of the US, that consider billionaires are allowed to make the rules or twist them. Then to workers not being paid fairly, etc and etc. While the EU has stricter laws and regulations and companies like amazon will come under fire again and again, that will not allow this (to a degree at least)... even though they allow US companies to do their stuff overseas and becoming dependent on them like how the UK are on using Amazon?

Meanwhile in the US, "you are not allowed healthcare nor eating at our cafeterias that are for our workers".

while "lets get you a crying/meditation booth that got to solve your issues!"

image.jpeg.98c808664918021d8f0401cb91077589.jpeg

also it's easier and cheaper to get rid of that stuff like that, besides many things are not recyclible, or of they are, they are not how some industries would like you to think:

most of the plastic that you do put in recycling bin gets burned anyway, and even if that low % of plastic that gets recycled it's not infinitely recuperable, futhermore recycled plastic is more expensive to both buy and use than new plastic

Well this doesn't help when pushing useless plastic crap through their platform, so pushing cheap crap is just going to benefit them, even if it does destroy everything else in the process (long term negative benefits). While more local retail stores or locally run warehouses are going to have some, just in no way to the amount that Amazon would or would push out, and with people going on a shopping spree. To youtube channels and more dedicated to trash, either its from alibaba, amazon, tech to clothes.

2 hours ago, 12345678 said:

you forgot how some industries (who are aganist repair bills) consider that black market, and do whatever is possible to take down such activities 

Depends.  Sometimes they sell items that don’t meet standards as “seconds”.  Used to be a big deal in the garment industry.  I remember a story about someone who bought a “seconds dress that was two fronts sewn together so there were breasts in back. Sometimes it was only a miss one seam though.  Amazon often sells stuff as “return boxes” by the crate. Apparently not all the time though.  They might have problems with people buying “seconds” then returning them for first tier items.  I don’t know.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.