Can I replace a 2.4Ghz network card with a 5Ghz one?

ranshaa05

I have an old laptop (Asus X541UV) and it keeps disconnecting from my wifi network. my brother's laptop has been doing that as well, so I figured that the problem might be the fact that both laptops only support 2.4Ghz wifi and not 5Ghz.

my question is: is it possible to change the internal wifi adapter from the 2.4Ghz one to a 5Ghz one (dual band)? I'd plug in an external one, but this laptop's model only has 2 USB type A's and one type C, and one of the type A's isn't working, so I don't want to connect an external one.

recommendations for 5Ghz wifi adapters will also be appreciated 😀

As long as its the same power requirement, size requirement, it should be possible. Lot of times they are custom fit to the laptop though so its hard to find exact ones that fit perfectly. A little electrical tape or something usually works though.

3 hours ago, Shimejii said:

As long as its the same power requirement, size requirement, it should be possible. Lot of times they are custom fit to the laptop though so its hard to find exact ones that fit perfectly. A little electrical tape or something usually works though.

You must have found some very weird laptops as typically they use standard M.2, miniPCIe or miniPCI, depending on the age of the laptop, or solder it completely to the PCB so it can't be replaced at all.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You must have found some very weird laptops as typically they use standard M.2, miniPCIe or miniPCI, depending on the age of the laptop, or solder it completely to the PCB so it can't be replaced at all.

might be one of those, i didn't check the connector type on my model.

Merged with previous topic. It's mini-pcie like the original and same physical size so it should. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2