Antimalware Service Executable

Hi I would like to ask how much RAM does yours PC's Antimalware Service executable take?

26 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Panda Cloud Free is using a mere 10 MB. That's why I use it.

Oh I am using Microsoft Defender and it uses 200-500 MB and do you think its normal

?

It's normal defender uses a lot of ram and it's detection rates are not the best by any means.

My antimalware is a reformat and clean install. 

Basic internet etiquette will keep you out of trouble.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

A lot of antivirus software will store signatures in RAM.  I wouldn't worry about it unless your device doesn't have much RAM.  RAM is meant to be a cache, and so let programs use it as they need, provided they don't use too much. 

Having antimalware signatures in RAM makes detection much faster because it can compare signatures to files pretty much at runtime.  Some antivirus software can be very light on RAM, but is usually quite heavy on the disk and the CPU making it worse than if it just used a few hundred MB more RAM.  

There is also the potential that the process is experiencing a memory leak.  Should be fine though as long as it's under 500MB. 

Hope this helps. 

8 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

My antimalware is a reformat and clean install. 

Basic internet etiquette will keep you out of trouble.

While I would have agreed with you a decade ago, and I understand that if you know your way around the internet you're at lower risk of getting infected, I think that spreading this kind of information can put users at real risk. 

1. Advanced Exploit Kits are on the rise, and there have been cases in the past of malicious actors putting an ad on a website with an exploit kit linked which will exploit a browser vulnerability or an operating system vulnerability. 
  2. Malware behavior has changed, back in the day malware would be much more obvious, some level of destruction would always be caused by malware - but now more and more malware is designed to run in memory, exfiltrate data from common password locations like browsers.   

With the rise in ransomware, it also means that your data may be gone - even if you backup to the cloud.  Simply because any linked shares or devices will be encrypted also.  

One thing you are pretty spot on with though:  Antimalware today is all around pretty useless.  

Motto of the story: If you're not an IT expert, use an antivirus in case you download a sus file - regardless of who you are or what you do, patch your stuff. 

160MB right now. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 2 weeks later...

in my laptop, this service uses too much CPU, which makes my laptop working on 100% cpu usages whenever i open some software, edge, google, MOE windows app, steam....this is a big headache for me, how do i resolve this, i have i5 3rd gen, 8 gb ram and ssd