Urban T81 - why such a silent launch?

exyia

I'm planning to WC my system and have (finally) come to accept that my Level 10 GT - even with some modding - won't support enough radiator. I need something bigger.

To get the popular recommendations out of the way:

- Enthoo Primoo feels/looks boring to me, probably because I'm coming from a Level 10 GT

- 900D's 5.25" bay annoys me (not flush if I use it, would annoy me looking at it blank because it would look pointless to me)

- Fractal and Silverstone look incredibly boring to me

- Cosmos II just looks silly to me

- Caselabs SMA8 is one I really like....but that price.....trying to avoid this option to save money (got other more expensive hobbies)

Then I remembered the ThermalTake Urban T81. Looked through the info (props to TT for a very detailed product page). I like the styling a lot, and it supports enough radiator.

It's available for purchase now, so it's actually been released. But I can not find a single review out there.

They sent out review units of their smaller Urban cases and they mostly recieved mixed/average reviews. What's the deal on the T81? I'm not going to assume the build quality of their low end Urban cases is the same of the highest end $200 one (that's unfair imo). I can't even find user reviews of the T81 on any forums.....

Did they really launch this case without review/sample units? Would be a shame....(and no local stores around me carry it, so it will have to be a blind purchase online)

I cba to research the thermaltake case you're talking about because I'm on an ipad, but You could get the cm haf stacker if you dont get the thermaltake case.

I cba to research the thermaltake case you're talking about because I'm on an ipad, but You could get the cm haf stacker if you dont get the thermaltake case.

couldn't stand the broken/uneven look of the stacker when it came out - didn't even cross my mind now. don't like it at all :mellow:

I've been looking for the exact same case for about 2 weeks now. It seems that they have only released it in the USA and that it's impossible to get it in Europe. I even sent an email to their customer support to ask for any info on a European release but I didn't get a reply.

Newegg has it at 179.99$, frozencpu or frozenpc(not sure on the name) has it at 189.99$

That's all I have on this one unfortunatly. If I don't hear anything from this case anytime soon(within a month), I'll probably just get the next best thing which, in my case, would be the Corsair 750D and be done with it.

Edit: if you look it up on youtube, you'll probably find an unboxing from someone that bought it. It's not a proper review but its the best you're gonna get unfortunately :x.

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

I think it is a really great case for watercooling. That front panel is really slick, and that suicide doors are just plain sexy. 3x200mm and 1x140mm fans included is really generous of TT. And it looks much better built than Corsair 760T

I've been looking for the exact same case for about 2 weeks now. It seems that they have only released it in the USA and that it's impossible to get it in Europe. I even sent an email to their customer support to ask for any info on a European release but I didn't get a reply.

Newegg has it at 179.99$, frozencpu or frozenpc(not sure on the name) has it at 189.99$

That's all I have on this one unfortunatly. If I don't hear anything from this case anytime soon(within a month), I'll probably just get the next best thing which, in my case, would be the Corsair 750D and be done with it.

Edit: if you look it up on youtube, you'll probably find an unboxing from someone that bought it. It's not a proper review but its the best you're gonna get unfortunately :x.

Yeah I just watched it - not very in-depth sadly (just goes over what I can read on the spec sheet, which annoys the crap out of me)

I might pull the trigger on it though, and (if/when I do) I'll let you know how it is. I've already ruled out the rest of the offerings above and I don't really see how this case could be THAT bad. Side door with window seems a little flimsy, but the window is taking up so much of the panel I'm not that surprised. But the front panel is a nice looking brushed aluminum, the suicide doors are cool in a functional way, and the radiator support looks phenomenal (actually supports big front and top mounted unlike the H440), top cover comes off completely in a cool way, plastic usage seems minimal. I'm reluctant to think this case is outright awful

but the fact that it's released 100% (as in buyable, not coming soon) and no video's went up....chances are no review units were sent out at all (since most are sent before under NDA to blast content all on the same day)

and also....now that I think about it....Thermaltake has never been big on sending out sample/review units out in the past. Last one they ever sent to anyone I think was the very Level 10 GT that I have. The rest have been pretty quiet launches (they have released quite a few since the Level 10 GT)

Yeah I just watched it - not very in-depth sadly (just goes over what I can read on the spec sheet, which annoys the crap out of me)

I might pull the trigger on it though, and (if/when I do) I'll let you know how it is. I've already ruled out the rest of the offerings above and I don't really see how this case could be THAT bad. Side door with window seems a little flimsy, but the window is taking up so much of the panel I'm not that surprised. But the front panel is a nice looking brushed aluminum, the suicide doors are cool in a functional way, and the radiator support looks phenomenal (actually supports big front and top mounted unlike the H440), top cover comes off completely in a cool way, plastic usage seems minimal. I'm reluctant to think this case is outright awful

but the fact that it's released 100% (as in buyable, not coming soon) and no video's went up....chances are no review units were sent out at all (since most are sent before under NDA to blast content all on the same day)

and also....now that I think about it....Thermaltake has never been big on sending out sample/review units out in the past. Last one they ever sent to anyone I think was the very Level 10 GT that I have. The rest have been pretty quiet launches (they have released quite a few since the Level 10 GT)

most press gets to the public from the enthusiasts perspective. Thermaltake has

gotten some bad reputation on "quality" and design issues in the past and they

seem to be stuck in those same trends. so the enthusiasts have turned their backs

on Tt and the gamer sectors has kinda pulled them along. like OCZ and their

SSD/PSU that most won't use or touch. to re-enter the enthusiast realm, Tt

has to shake the stigma that is attached to them. years ago coined ThermalTacky.

they seem to have some engineers that kinda know what is happening, but if

they want to reinsert themselves, they'll have to do it on innovation and price point.

as big as a corsair, holds what a corsair does, doesn't mean they can go toe-to-toe

on price point. other than the level10, their case pricing was easily the budget-side.

Update:

just noticed my local Micro Center just got these in stock

going to take a look tonight, and probably buy if I like it (though I'm still waiting on my motherboard RMA, so not sure how much of a rush I am to buy it now)

will definitely report how it looks/feels. If I buy, I'll do a review. Feel free to leave questions for anyone interested. This case definitely seems a step up from their previous offerings

Update:

just noticed my local Micro Center just got these in stock

going to take a look tonight, and probably buy if I like it (though I'm still waiting on my motherboard RMA, so not sure how much of a rush I am to buy it now)

will definitely report how it looks/feels. If I buy, I'll do a review. Feel free to leave questions for anyone interested. This case definitely seems a step up from their previous offerings

Hey, I was wondering if you ever were able to check out how the T81 felt. I'm thinking of copping this or the NZXT H440. My only issue with the T81 is that the side panels looked insanely flimsy. Like, more flimsy than Antec 300. If the quality isn't up to par then I'll pass on the T81. Any news on it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks