Upgrading from HDD to SSD

kaddle

i want to transfer all of the data from my HDD to an SSD.

i originally wanted to wait until i have enough money for a new build to start using an NVME or SSD, but i just can't take it anymore. my computer has been almost completely locked out for the past 20 minutes because the hard drive is at 100% usage for whatever damn reason. it took me like 5 minutes to get here so i didn't watch any youtube tutorials for this yet.

i need to get an SSD in my computer right now.

this happens all of the time. whenever there is a download or whatever going on in the background, my computer gets locked out because of how dumb and slow this stupid HDD is. i heard about those mach 2 hard drives, like 4 f-ing years ago and i still haven't heard anything new about them.

no more waiting. i need this upgrade.

i haven't done this before so i could use some advice. if anything bad happens to my computer i'm pretty much screwed.

my computer is not very powerful but it's not slow either. the HDD is pretty much the bottleneck. for general usage and mid tier gaming the other parts should be completely adequate:

ryzen 1200, GTX1050, 16GB ram, etc.

am i able to safely transfer all of the data from my HDD to an SSD? if so, will it affect the OS license (it was super expensive)?

what are things that i should know before doing this?

7 minutes ago, kaddle said:

am i able to safely transfer all of the data from my HDD to an SSD? if so, will it affect the OS license (it was super expensive)?

you can use a program like macrium reflect to clone a hard drive to an SSD. But be sure that the partition of the hard drive will adequately fit onto the SSD.

The license should not be affected at all. But if anything were to happen, I sincerely hope you wrote down your license key. You need to keep that in general.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad