Amazon Launches Amazon Fire TV - NOT april fools

Matthias2556

Amazon just launched amazon fire tv, a set-top box that looks much like the roku or other streaming media players.

it's launching for $99, and features voice search using a microphone in the remote,most of the major media streaming apps, and apparently sports a quad-core cpu (probably an arm processor), a dedicated gpu, and 2gb of memory. it says on the page that you can play games such as minecraft PE, so im assuming it runs an android skin.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5P8FC/ref=amb_link_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=1474BGZ4N0YJPC2A4EZ3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1770051702&pf_rd_i=507846

looks very interesting, what do you guys think? also let me know if this is old news, i searched and didnt find any other posts about it, so i thought i'd throw it on here.

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I might consider buying one if they get xmbc to work on it (and it works well).

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Bought and giving my Apple TV to my parents.

Just hope HBO comes to it. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

and I just bought a chromecast :angry:

And? the chromecast is still good for what it is. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

YES! i always wanted to play phone games on my tv...

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Just hope HBO comes to it. 

Game of Thrones. WOOOO

And? the chromecast is still good for what it is. 

This. It's considerably cheaper too.

I just wish Google would put more time into development of the Casting extension for Chrome. It's kinda terrible. Casting a Tab gives me a pink pixelated screen. Casting the entire screen gives me choppy video and tinny audio. 

So I need a better way to use Plex on my living room TV, and the apps require PlexPlass on phones which is a subscription service. How about no?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Entering an already oversaturated market and doing very little to nothing new at the same time.

Congratulations Amazon.

This will still sell a ton.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

sad-sad-face.png

Why do i must live in this fucking Belgium Country! We have nothing here like HULU Netflix and others, i have to VPN all of that shit!!!!

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

sad-sad-face.png

Why do i must live in this fucking Belgium Country! We have nothing here like HULU Netflix and others, i have to VPN all of that shit!!!!

every country have its prod and cons

Usa for example...well nvm

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

every country have its prod and cons

Usa for example...well nvm

You see it then now :) We have nothing.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

If I you can put linux on it like you could with ps3 before, it will sell like crazy. but even if not, the price is great for what they are offering.

nvm, it use arm cpu...but still wonder how it will be accepted by public

Edited by Crystal

No HBO GO so that means no thank you. It would also be nice to see some of these devices to start supporting Starz Play too. But maybe this will motivate Google to make a beefier version of Chromecast to compete with these set top versions.

Sorry for not having a link, but on a some what related note, a recent Nexus 6 rumor says that it will have a Chromecast app to allow the phone to function as the Chromcast device. You already use a different phone app, or your home computer, to control the device, but this rumored app would enable you to plug your Nexus 6 into your TV and replace the actual Chromecast device.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Do I still have to pay for netflix and other apps? If so what's the point in getting this device if most smart tv's already have apps.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Looks like an incredibly cheap HTPC. This is actually kinda awesome.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

It doesn't look too bad.  My guess is that this is meant to help drive Amazon Prime adoption, especially with the incoming price hike.

It doesn't look too bad.  My guess is that this is meant to help drive Amazon Prime adoption, especially with the incoming price hike.

Pretty much this. I read an article on the Verge that made the existence of this device make more logical sense. Amazon said themselves that they want people to invest in their ecosystem. They want people to buy Prime, to buy movie rentals from their service, etc.

It's genius if you think of it in that way. Sit back and see what everyone else does, learn from their mistakes, and make a nearly perfect device.

I'm satisfied with my Chromecast but if someone wants more functionality or doesn't already have a similar set top box, this would be an excellent option. 

Here's the article btw:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5575938/the-playbook-why-amazons-fire-tv-is-a-guaranteed-hit

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

cool and all but what i really want is a device that can stream my Android OS completly and exactly to my TV, so whatever i do in my phone/tablet show in my TV.

I dont want to stay with the built in apps, what if i want to play a game or something else,,,,

is there something like that?

PC Gaming forever...

I would just spend some extra money and get an HTPC.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

An ethernet port! if this eventually supports steam in home streaming i'll get one.

An ethernet port! if this eventually supports steam in home streaming i'll get one.

Oh dood i didnt even think of that!!

that would be epic, but it probably wont natively support it. if u installed linux it would work, though, right? 

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)