how to add more m.2 nvme storage

leonardmartin29

so i want to add more m.2 nvme storage i currently have 2 1 tb samsung 970 evo plus and im almost out of space. i wanna add another 2tb samsung 970 evo plus since the price has dropped so much lately. i own a asus tuf z490 plus wifi mother board and have a gpu on it and a usb extension card(https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Q1HXN42/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) how else can i add nvme storage. sorry not interested in standard ssd or hdd. 

Third option is bigger NVMe drives.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

The Asus Hyper M.2 card comes to mind

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M-2-X16-Expansion-Card/dp/B084HMHGSP

I recommend checking the manual to see compatibility with Z490. On some generations it's hit or miss but I believe newer Intel and AMD platforms are good to go.

Bear in mind bandwidth limitations. The chipset will be allocating shared PCIe bandwidth between all these drives so simultaneous usage will result in reduced bandwidth.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The Asus Hyper M.2 card comes to mind

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M-2-X16-Expansion-Card/dp/B084HMHGSP

I recommend checking the manual to see compatibility with Z490. On some generations it's hit or miss but I believe newer Intel and AMD platforms are good to go.

Bear in mind bandwidth limitations. The chipset will be allocating shared PCIe bandwidth between all these drives so simultaneous usage will result in reduced bandwidth.

ok so would i loose gpu performance since i have a gpu, that usb expansion and now possibly this due to intel low chipset. i have a 10850k with 32 gb ram. 

3 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

ok so would i loose gpu performance since i have a gpu, that usb expansion and now possibly this due to intel low chipset. i have a 10850k with 32 gb ram. 

The CPU dedicates PCIe lanes directly to the GPU slot, so the Hyper M.2 would be forced to use chipset lanes instead of cutting into those GPU lanes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The CPU dedicates PCIe lanes directly to the GPU slot, so the Hyper M.2 would be forces to use chipset lanes instead of cutting into those GPU lanes

so i shouldnt loose any performance then?

Just now, leonardmartin29 said:

so i shouldnt loose any performance then?

not for the GPU

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

not for the GPU

what about the performance for that usb card thing i have? its connected to my keyboard, mouse. would there be a performance decrease in those things. also i know nvme is faster than standard ssd but for loading games is there really a noticable difference. a 2 tb ssd is 270 and a 2tb nvme is 430

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The CPU dedicates PCIe lanes directly to the GPU slot, so the Hyper M.2 would be forced to use chipset lanes instead of cutting into those GPU lanes

Keep in mind the 2nd "x16" slot is electrically x4. Asus reccomends installing the Hyper M.2 card into the GPU slot. Not sure if all the M.2's will work if installed in an x4 slot.

image.png.739cf9f59e58f31caf0d8677399c5e0b.png

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, leonardmartin29 said:

what about the performance for that usb card thing i have? its connected to my keyboard, mouse. would there be a performance decrease in those things. also i know nvme is faster than standard ssd but for loading games is there really a noticable difference. a 2 tb ssd is 270 and a 2tb nvme is 430

keyboard and mouse almost always use USB 2.0 which uses barely any bandwidth, I am similarly using a couple hubs and PCIe expansions (including an eSATA card) and the bandwidth is perfectly adequate with those.

The NVMe load times for games is not noticeable. I tried it myself and other reviewers have as well, like HWunboxed. It's typically a matter of one or two seconds, if that.

Primary PC: