What is the best ram configuration available for me

Hi 

So in the PC I own, one of the 4 ram slots (A1) doesn't work, and I have 3 ram sticks available, 2*2gb and a 4gb ram sticks (ddr3). I mostly use the pc to play valorent and GTA v once in a while. What's the best configuration I can use it in, is it a 2gb and a 4gb in dual channel mode or do I run two 2gb sticks and a 4gb stick in single channel mode.

6gb dual channel or 8gb single channel?

Welcome to the forum!

It really depends on the rest of your system as well. If this were my computer I'd at least see if I can snag another 4gb DDR3 stick of memory. DDR3 is older and fairly inexpensive online. Maybe just get a new board, due to age most older motherboards could be fairly cheap online. If your only options are to use what you have I'd go 6GB Dual channel over 8GB Single channel.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I dont think thats how it works..

If you put mismatched RAM sticks, the DUAL Channel will work partially, like if you install one 2GB and one 4GB stick, the system will automatically set the speed, latency and size according to the 2GB stick.

So, getting another 4GB ddr3 stick would work the best. Just try to get the same one as you have.

5 hours ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

I dont think thats how it works..

If you put mismatched RAM sticks, the DUAL Channel will work partially, like if you install one 2GB and one 4GB stick, the system will automatically set the speed, latency and size according to the 2GB stick.

So, getting another 4GB ddr3 stick would work the best. Just try to get the same one as you have.

If you have the ram in the dual channel slots size does not matter, the speed of the modules is what matter. However both ram modules will run at the speed of the SLOWEST module, not the speed of SMALLEST module, and it will not adjust size to the smallest module. The only thing adjusted when mixmatching memory is speed and latency, the size of the module will remain the same. I.E. a 2gb 1300mhz ram module paired with a 4gb 1600mhz ram module in dual channel, the 4gb module will now run at 1300mhz but will remain at 4gb, so in total the amount and speed of the memory installed is 6GB of 1300mhz ram and as long as it is in the boards dual channel slots it will run in dual channel fully. Not partially, I don't know where you got that from.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |