5950x CPU Lanes

Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
2 minutes ago, noobftw said:

Ahh ok, I am just trying to find the best possible CPU for gaming that I can pair with some 4400MHz or similar RAM, to maximise FPS. 

You get diminishing returns on RAM after 3800 MHz or so, since CAS latencies go up resulting in the same latency (latency = CL value x 2000 / RAM frequency). After that it's really just numbers chasing for no real benefit.

A 3200 C16 kit has the same latency as 3600 C18 - 10 nanoseconds.

A 4400 C19 kit has about 8.6 ns latency, which is about the same as 3200 C14 - 8.75 ns.

But yea, the 5950X is as good as it gets for consumer CPUs. You could go Threadripper if you wanted but those suck for gaming since they lower clocks for more cores. Games throw their workloads in one giant ball for one or two cores to shred. Threadrippers prefer when programs take their giant ball and turn it into paper scraps for all the cores to work on simultaneously.

I want to upgrade my system to a 5950x and appropriate motherboard, I require the following components to be connected,

·         X1 NVME (Samsung 970 Evo)

·         X1 3090FE

·         X1 NIC (x540)

4 lanes for the NVME

16 for the GPU

4 or 8 (not 100% sure) for the NIC

So that could be 24 minimum and 28 lanes maximum

Do I have enough PCI-E lanes to run all this?

Thanks in advance.

Anything you buy today that is current can support all that, with room to spare. 

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Anything you buy today that is current can support all that, with room to spare. 

4 lanes for the NVME

16 for the GPU

So that could be 24 minimum and 28 lanes maximum, it states on some websites that the 5950x has access to 20 lanes, some say 24 😕, very confused

1 minute ago, noobftw said:

4 lanes for the NVME

16 for the GPU

So that could be 24 minimum and 28 lanes maximum, it states on some websites that the 5950x has access to 20 lanes, some say 24 😕, very confused

Ryzen CPUs have 24 PCIe lanes.

16 - top PCIe slot

4 - top M.2 slot

4 - chipset

The chipset can then provide more PCIe lanes to devices. They'll be limited to 4 GB/s both ways minimum, but that's plenty fast for a 10 Gbps LAN card and extras.

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Ryzen CPUs have 24 PCIe lanes.

16 - top PCIe slot

4 - top M.2 slot

4 - chipset

The chipset can then provide more PCIe lanes to devices. They'll be limited to 4 GB/s both ways minimum, but that's plenty fast for a 10 Gbps LAN card and extras.

Thanks pal, would the same setup be possible on an i9 11900k?

Just now, noobftw said:

Thanks pal, would the same setup be possible on an i9 11900k?

I believe so, but under no circumstances should you buy the 11900K.

It's the exact same CPU as the 11700K with 100 MHz higher boost frequency and some fancy boosting tech.

Do not waste your money.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I believe so, but under no circumstances should you buy the 11900K.

It's the exact same CPU as the 11700K with 100 MHz higher boost frequency and some fancy boosting tech.

Do not waste your money.

Ahh ok, I am just trying to find the best possible CPU for gaming that I can pair with some 4400MHz or similar RAM, to maximise FPS. I guess i can't do much better than the 5950x right? 

1 minute ago, noobftw said:

I guess i can't do much better than the 5950x right?

As far as consumer CPUs go, its as good as it gets. 

2 minutes ago, noobftw said:

Ahh ok, I am just trying to find the best possible CPU for gaming that I can pair with some 4400MHz or similar RAM, to maximise FPS. 

You get diminishing returns on RAM after 3800 MHz or so, since CAS latencies go up resulting in the same latency (latency = CL value x 2000 / RAM frequency). After that it's really just numbers chasing for no real benefit.

A 3200 C16 kit has the same latency as 3600 C18 - 10 nanoseconds.

A 4400 C19 kit has about 8.6 ns latency, which is about the same as 3200 C14 - 8.75 ns.

But yea, the 5950X is as good as it gets for consumer CPUs. You could go Threadripper if you wanted but those suck for gaming since they lower clocks for more cores. Games throw their workloads in one giant ball for one or two cores to shred. Threadrippers prefer when programs take their giant ball and turn it into paper scraps for all the cores to work on simultaneously.

elephants

I'll go with a 5950x then, any idea what the majority of these overclock too under say x2 420 rads shared with a 3090?