Square wave supply to PSU/ PC

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

I just keep reading your post over and over again and am actually surprised you're using a square wave inverter at all.  Usually, you only use those for operation of motors.  Have you seen appliances, electronics, etc. fail prematurely in your house?  Or you haven't had it that long?  I don't know why anyone would actually sell you a square wave inverter if they knew you were going to use it for household appliances and electronics.  Unless you didn't ask  before you bought it.  Even the UPS can be damaged by being fed a square wave.

The square wave was very common 6 years ago. I dont know why ? Very cheap may be. That is what was sold all the time. I did not even know about waves in inverters then. The old picture tube tv IC burn made me search for whats going on? Thats when i found out about these waves thing. 

@jonnyGURU if the UPS is sending  directly the square wave its getting from inverter. Then the psu should malfunction right.? 

And also if all supply to ups is cut off then, when UPS tries to supply from its own battery, is that sine wave.? 

Anyway its getting very confusing.? Just tell me what is the worst that can happen if PSU is getting square wave. And if it dies will take the whole pc with it because of square wave only.

I am guesing the voltage fluctuation part is covered by the UPS at least. Right?? Come on UPS.. 

29 minutes ago, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURUNo , The UPS makes the sound for 10 seconds not the power supply PSU. 

I know.  I didn't say it was the PSU.

11 minutes ago, krinjon said:

The square wave was very common 6 years ago. I dont know why ? Very cheap may be. That is what was sold all the time. I did not even know about waves in inverters then. The old picture tube tv IC burn made me search for whats going on? Thats when i found out about these waves thing. 

They've always been the cheapest option.   I guess you can say the technology to make pure sine output has gotten better/more common/cheaper than it was 6 years ago.  I guess that's true about everything.

19 minutes ago, krinjon said:

if the UPS is sending  directly the square wave its getting from inverter. Then the psu should malfunction right.? 

Eventually, yes.  

20 minutes ago, krinjon said:

And also if all supply to ups is cut off then, when UPS tries to supply from its own battery, is that sine wave.? 

Nope.  That is also square wave.  You do not own a pure sine UPS.  Circle doesn't make them.

21 minutes ago, krinjon said:

Anyway its getting very confusing.? Just tell me what is the worst that can happen if PSU is getting square wave. And if it dies will take the whole pc with it because of square wave only.

Just the PSU dies.  That's a good thing, I guess.  My mom had a boy friend that hooked up multiple generators (square wave, of course) to the house mains because in Florida, there are so many hurricanes and old infrastructure so power constantly goes out.  You're only supposed to use it with your refrigerator, fans.. those kinds of things.  They were using the PC, listening to music, watching TV.  In a five year period, they managed to kill two TVs, two PC power supplies and a radio (an expensive Bose Wave).  She no longer runs the generators through the house and hasn't fried any electronics in quite some time.

23 minutes ago, krinjon said:

I am guesing the voltage fluctuation part is covered by the UPS at least. Right?? Come on UPS.. 

Your UPS does have an AVR.  That's the only thing that's doing anything right now.  The AVR is literally just a transformer that either boosts low mains voltage or bucks high mains voltage.  But it does not change the waveform of that voltage.  If it's square going in, it's square going out.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

My mom had a boy friend that hooked up multiple generators (square wave, of course)...

It's pretty damn hard to produce square waves with a rotating generator. It would have to be specifically designed (and more expensive) to do that. Or did you just mean inverters?

Anyway I've personally not had many issues with square wave inverters, perhaps because I use them mainly to power bulky stuff that couldn't care less about the quality of the waveform. Pure sine wave is better for your stuff in the long run, but I guess for a backup a modified square wave isn't too bad.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're only supposed to use it with your refrigerator, fans.. those kinds of things

The funny thing about that is, while motors/transformers etc are the most durable, and therefore the least likely to die from square wave power, they are at the same time affected the most when it comes to performance. Motors will run at significantly lower efficiencies on square wave, and produce far more audible noise as well.

57 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

It's pretty damn hard to produce square waves with a rotating generator.

Sorry.  A cheap inverter generator.  The kind with the AC to DC/DC to AC rectification.  Probably not to different than OP's.