Square wave supply to PSU/ PC

What happens if you send square wave to PSU.

I have AC coming from the grid in sine wave. Backup inverter turning it to square wave. That gets sent to UPS. Then the ups sends it to psu. (Sine form grid > to Square from inverter > UPS > PSU > pc)

I don't know if ups turns the square wave coming from inverter to sine wave. If it does not then my psu is getting square wave. Is it bad? Bad for PSU or UPS or the PC itself? I dont know whats going on. And I dont really want to buy pure sine wave inverter, cause I just bought square wave one recently. Dont have the budget. Help me please. Forums dont have much discussion about it.

it should work just fine, many decent psu have power factor correction and if you didnt already watched latest ltt vid about how psu work "turbo nerd" edition, after first stage of filtering input ac the dc with converted back into square wave ac and just after that converted back to dc for you pc part to use

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

@Freakwisecan it damage ups circuit. It makes little bit of radio like sound for a while when power goes out and we switch to inverter. The whole square wave is a bit mysterious. Two of our old ceiling fan have died. Some user reports on internet is saying square wave overheats coils in fan. Square wave is still ac. But why exactly is sine wave ac is better is unclear. 

And i have seen the ltt video. Thats why i thought of asking in this forum. 

4 hours ago, krinjon said:

@Freakwisecan it damage ups circuit. It makes little bit of radio like sound for a while when power goes out and we switch to inverter. The whole square wave is a bit mysterious. Two of our old ceiling fan have died. Some user reports on internet is saying square wave overheats coils in fan. Square wave is still ac. But why exactly is sine wave ac is better is unclear. 

And i have seen the ltt video. Thats why i thought of asking in this forum. 

That's a pretty different things, for one pc psu is more of resistive load while fan is more of inductive load why matter?, Well...

Simple answer, Square wave inverters have dangerously fluctuating voltages that range between 295 volts to 415 volts. These high voltage spikes can be damaging to inductive loads.

Another thing to mention was ups designed for pc in the event off power outages and if your ups happen to be square wave one, some of Those (although not all of them) will bypass ac current from the wall and only using square wave when there's power outage

Imo if you have and want to connect anything that draw big wattage dont connect it to the ups, you can make your own battery backup with car battery and inverter on it's on, it's not gonna be smooth switching or automatic in any way but probably Better 

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

11 hours ago, krinjon said:

If it does not then my psu is getting square wave. Is it bad? Bad for PSU or UPS or the PC itself?

Depends on the PSU.  What is the PSU in the PC?

@FreakwiseNo. I am not using ups for power supply to fan. I am using inverter with big battery as a backup. Inverter gives square wave for sure when power outage to  fan and pc ups and many other things in my house. Then there is UPS beside my pc then it goes to pc. When power is on, it comes directly from the grid to UPS which is pure sine from grid. The inverter let the supply switch automatically from its supply to grids.

13 minutes ago, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURUThermaltake TR2 S 500W

Ok... So... Yeah.  

So, it'll be cheaper to get a PSU that's not a flaming potato than it would to invest in a pure-sine UPS.

I imagine you've had that PSU for quite some time.  I don't think they've made it for a while because it doesn't meet government safety and efficiency requirements in most countries.

11 hours ago, krinjon said:

I don't know if ups turns the square wave coming from inverter to sine wave. If it does not then my psu is getting square wave.

Your PSU is getting square wave.  A line interactive is strictly passive when on "mains power", or in your case, "inverter power".  Even when AVR kicks in, it's only sending the power through a transformer which bucks or boosts the square wave... but the wave is still square.  I'm surprised that PSU has lasted as long as it has.

I just keep reading your post over and over again and am actually surprised you're using a square wave inverter at all.  Usually, you only use those for operation of motors.  Have you seen appliances, electronics, etc. fail prematurely in your house?  Or you haven't had it that long?  I don't know why anyone would actually sell you a square wave inverter if they knew you were going to use it for household appliances and electronics.  Unless you didn't ask  before you bought it.  Even the UPS can be damaged by being fed a square wave.

@jonnyGURU80 Plus rating is not good enough? 

Two of the old cieling fans have failed. None of the electronics have ever failed in the 6 years life time of the inverter. 

@jonnyGURUSorry i remember we did not have led tv then. Which is working for 2 and half years. But the picuter tube tv ic burned.

1 minute ago, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURU80 Plus rating is not good enough? 

Two of the old cieling fans have failed. None of the electronics have ever failed in the 6 years life time of the inverter. 

80 PLUS just means it converts X amount of AC watts into Y amount of DC power.  That's it.  Nothing more.

Ceiling fans would be the last thing I would expect a square wave to kill... as they're literally the kinds of motors a square wave inverter is made for!

@jonnyGURUPC is working 2 years. Also the thing is power outage happens may be 3 or 4 times a week for two hours or more. So mostly i am using grid sine wave power. 

2 minutes ago, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURUPC is working 2 years. Also the thing is power outage happens may be 3 or 4 times a week for two hours or more. So mostly i am using grid sine wave power. 

Ok.  So you're only on Inverter when the mains are down.  I was under the impression that you were always on the inverter.  So yeah....  the destruction of your electronics would be in correlation to the number of times you're on the inverter.

Then I have a question for you.... if you have an inverter to support your house power when the mains go out, why do you also have the UPS?

@jonnyGURUif psu dies because of this. Can it kill the rest of pc too? PSU does not  get the square wave supply directly from my inverter. Inverter power comes to UPS then it goes to PSU. I dont know if that was clear. 

Can't the UPS save psu in most cases.??

@jonnyGURUI was suspicious about the square wave so i bought the UPS. which is Circle 1 KVA.

@jonnyGURUI was wondering if ups turns square wave to sine wave then sends it to psu.?? 

3 hours ago, Freakwise said:

Can the square wave damage ups circuit. The ups makes a little bit of radio like sound for a while when power goes out. Then it settles within 10 -20 seconds. Not always but sometimes(many sometimes).

5 minutes ago, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURUI was suspicious about the square wave so i bought the UPS. which is Circle 1 KVA.

But it's a square wave UPS.  And if the UPS is line interactive, it's not doing anything as long as it's still getting power from the inverter.  Your UPS is literally doing nothing. 

4 minutes ago, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURUI was wondering if ups turns square wave to sine wave then sends it to psu.?? 

It would if it was a online UPS.  Which a Circle (read: Cheap India brand) is not. 

@jonnyGURUWe might get a pure sine wave inverter in a few months. Is that a good enogh. Or change the PSU.( how to know what psu is good in situation? ( that can take on square wave.)) or what UPS to buy? In case the inveter is lot more expensive.

Power just went out. I am still typing no sound from .... UPS this time for some reason.   

@jonnyGURUI just noticed the sound actually happens when the power comes on switching from inverter to grid and not when power goes out switching to inverter. Sometimes loud, some sometime not so loud. I don't know what this indicates.

Just now, krinjon said:

@jonnyGURUI just noticed the sound actually happens when the power comes on switching from inverter to grid and not when power goes out switches to inverter. Sometimes loud, some sometime not so loud. I don't know what this indicates.

It's the AVR boosting from the brief voltage drop when switching from mains to inverter.  But the PSU is still running off of power from the inverter.  You should plug the PSU in without the UPS just to see how it reacts.  If the PC shuts off, it's because the time between mains and inverter power is longer than the hold up time of the PSU.