Increasing Dedicated VRAM on Laptop???

Hey dudes and dudettes, it's been a while since I posted on here but I'm looking to potentially get some help.

So I'm in the deployed right now to the Middle East and I wasn't able to take my gaming desktop for obvious reasons but I was able to take my pretty competent Lenovo ThinkPad which I'm trying desperately to be able to play some games on.

The specs are as follows;

Intel Core i5-8250U (4c/8t turbo: 3.4Ghz)

Intel "UHD" Graphics 620 (advanced display settings says it has 128MBs of dedicated VRAM)

32GB DDR4 (2133 Mhz)

I'm trying to see if I can possibly increase the dedicated VRAM to potentially increase the performance, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

gpu.PNG.96215486218480130d7e171a7e0c9d74.PNG

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Just now, lafrente said:

Dedicated comes with the GPU in the laptop. So you can't. But you can probably manipulate how much ram GPU uses.

It's not a dedicated GPU which would have it's own dedicated ram, I'm almost certain it just shares resources with the system, I'm just looking for some way to tell it to use more than the 128mb's it's currently trying to use.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

this is usually called Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT). you can set this to use max allowed, and you should be able to get some more VRAM for the GPU. just keep in mind that this will use RAM from the 32GB of your CPU.

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

this is usually called Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT). you can set this to use max allowed, and you should be able to get some more VRAM for the GPU. just keep in mind that this will use RAM from the 32GB of your CPU.

I'm totally cool with that, I'd just like to bump it up to a gig or so.

Is there a software or something I would use to do this?

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I'm totally cool with that, I'd just like to bump it up to a gig or so.

Is there a software or something I would use to do this?

you should be able to change that in your laptop's BIOS.

usually the only memory sizes you can choose from are 128mb, 256 mb or maximum DVMT though. where maximum DVMT scales according to the RAM the GPU thinks it needs for the workload. depending on motherboard manufacturer this might be called slightly different though.

Just now, RollinLower said:

you should be able to change that in your laptop's BIOS.

usually the only memory sizes you can choose from are 128mb, 256 mb or maximum DVMT though. where maximum DVMT scales according to the RAM the GPU thinks it needs for the workload. depending on motherboard manufacturer this might be called slightly different though.

Gotcha, it's set to 512MB's in the BIOS but only shows 128 in Windows.

My only option at this point is to try and to order some stuff off ebay and build a cheap lil PC 😂

I've found that increasing allocated memory for intel onboard graphics didn't make any difference when I benchmarked. I doubt that it will for games, the issue isn't the amount it's how slow it is and how slow the GPU cores are. Can that laptop use an external GPU? If so, that would be the simplest, smallest, and quickest solution to your problems! Even a modest RX580 EGPU would be a huge increase, they go for around $600 which is a bit of an inflated price right now but not horribly expensive if you need it now.

Even some of the cheaper $300-400 ones with like HD7790's in them or R9 380's would be a HUGE jump over the integrated graphics. Basically almost anything you'll find stuffed in an EGPU box is going to stomp the Intel graphics you're using now, even buying a bare box and shoving a GTX 960 4GB or RX480 4GB in there would work better!