New Built PC Not Restarting

Oshane Davidson

Good day. I recently built my first ever PC and pretty proud of it. However for some odd reason whenever I put the PC in Sleep mode I cannot get it to wake up. I have tried every solution online but cannot figure it out. I have to literally unplug the PC from the socket, wait like 3 minutes then plug it in and then turn it on. Extremely annoyed. The system has been built for around 3 weeks now and I noticed this issue day 2-3 of having it. Outlined below is everything I have done so far:

Went into the Device Manager, found the mouse, keyboard and USB controller and made sure that " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was unchecked and "Allow this device to wake the computer" was checked. This way the USB ports still have power when in sleep mode and gives them the ability to wake my PC. Did not work.

Went into my Power settings, Additional Power Settings, Change plan settings, Changed advance power settings and then proceeded to go to Multimedia settings and "When sharing media" changed the setting to "Allow the computer to sleep". Apparently this worked for some others, not for me though.

I have done other steps but cannot remember at this very moment so if mentioned I will advise if already tried. I am wondering if it is something that I could have done wrong when building my PC. Some of my components are:

Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply

Gigabyte A520M AORUS Elite 

Phanteks Eclipse P350X (PH-EC350PTG_DBK) Compact EATX Mid-tower Case, Tempered Glass, Digital RGB, Black

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core

MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC Graphics Card 

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black

I am open to any and every suggestion. Finding it very annoying to not be able to Sleep my PC, go do something and then just revive it with my stuff up rather than having to turn it off completely. Windows is on my SSD so it boots in like 5 seconds but knowing that the PC is not functioning as it should is playing on my mind. 

There are a bunch of sleep levels which use different amounts of “ghost power” when the machine is sleeping.  Do the USB ports provide power when the machine is asleep as you set them to?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are a bunch of sleep levels which use different amounts of “ghost power” when the machine is sleeping.  Do the USB ports provide power when the machine is asleep as you set them to?

When it is in Sleep mode the keyboard RGB does not show any power so I am assuming that maybe not enough power is going to the USB port. I have a Logitech G503 mouse and the little RGB on the side does still have light in in but that is the same when the PC is shut down as well.

5 minutes ago, Oshane Davidson said:

When it is in Sleep mode the keyboard RGB does not show any power so I am assuming that maybe not enough power is going to the USB port. I have a Logitech G503 mouse and the little RGB on the side does still have light in in but that is the same when the PC is shut down as well.

If there’s light to the mouse when it is shutdown it’s not completely shut down.  Means your shutdown is also a sleep mode of one level or another.  There are a bunch of different levels of sleep that do different things, and they can be for the motherboard or the cpu.  It’s possible they’re out of whack.  An actual electrical problem is less likely but not impossible I suppose.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If there’s light to the mouse when it is shutdown it’s not completely shut down.  Means your shutdown is also a sleep mode of one level or another.  There are a bunch of different levels of sleep that do different things, and they can be for the motherboard or the cpu.  It’s possible they’re out of whack.  An actual electrical problem is less likely but not impossible I suppose.

With my understanding when a PC is turned off sometimes there is still power to USB ports. I believe it can be turned off in the BIOS so that is why the mouse itself would still show RGB. That coupled with the fact that a off PC is never completely turned off.

2 minutes ago, Oshane Davidson said:

With my understanding when a PC is turned off sometimes there is still power to USB ports. I believe it can be turned off in the BIOS so that is why the mouse itself would still show RGB. That coupled with the fact that a off PC is never completely turned off.

Ever since cases started having soft buttons that didn’t actually shut off power with an actual switch shutdown shutdown has not actually always been power off.  Arguably not actually a true shutdown. This happens with a lot of modern devices and is referred to as “ghost power”.  One test would be to try shift+shutdown from the menu and see if the light goes out then.

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ever since cases started having soft buttons that didn’t actually shut off power with an actual switch shutdown shutdown has not actually always been power off.  Arguably not actually a true shutdown. This happens with a lot of modern devices and is referred to as “ghost power”.  One test would be to try shift+shutdown from the menu and see if the light goes out then.

Ok. Still trying to figure out what is happening with my restart issue.

9 minutes ago, Oshane Davidson said:

Ok. Still trying to figure out what is happening with my restart issue.

I was actually having a problem with my keyboard just a few minutes ago.  Seems my hub is the problem as I was able to get them functioning by transferring the cables to my motherboard ports and bypassing the hub.  I don’t know what is wrong with the hub.  

as for the restart I am thinking two possibilities:

1: for whatever reason it isn’t waking from sleep because your peripherals arent powered

2: there is some sleep level setting that is ignoring keystrokes or mouse movements for whatever reason. 2 may also be causing 1

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I was actually having a problem with my keyboard just a few minutes ago.  Seems my hub is the problem as I was able to get them functioning by transferring the cables to my motherboard ports and bypassing the hub.  I don’t know what is wrong with the hub.  

as for the restart I am thinking two possibilities:

1: for whatever reason it isn’t waking from sleep because your peripherals arent powered

2: there is some sleep level setting that is ignoring keystrokes or mouse movements for whatever reason. 2 may also be causing 1

I honestly think it is something deeper than my peripherals because I just attempted to sleep it and power it back on and noticed that even pressing the power button doesn't wake it up. Man oh man

12 minutes ago, Oshane Davidson said:

I honestly think it is something deeper than my peripherals because I just attempted to sleep it and power it back on and noticed that even pressing the power button doesn't wake it up. Man oh man

The power button not waking it up changes things.  The power button actually shorts pins on the motherboard so it’s not like a signal isn’t reaching the motherboard.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The power button not waking it up changes things.  The power button actually shorts pins on the motherboard so it’s not like a signal isn’t reaching the motherboard.

I really dont know. Maybe I need to unplug some connectors and reconnect