Laptop does not boot when plugged in

Jetrise

Hi All,

Earlier today, I was playing games and noticed my FPS dropped. I quickly realised my laptop was not on charge. However, everything was plugged in. I moved the cable of the AC adapter slightly and it seemed to be charging again. Shortly after that, I realised that even though it was saying it was charging, my battery level was dropping. The orange light on the side was on, suggesting the system was being charged. This was equally shown on the desktop, where the battery icon in the system tray said it was charging. 

My initial thoughts was that there was an issue with the AC adapter. So, I got a voltmeter out and checked the volts outputted by the adapter (from the DC side) when plugged in matched what was printed on the adapter. Everything was fine with it and was within an error of +/- 0.5 volts of the rated adapter. I then performed component checks using HP's UEFI component checkers. According to that, the battery and AC adapter passed all checks. 

So, I'm left rather confused with what it could be. My laptop is now dead and won't boot, even when plugged in. In the video below, you can see what the system was doing in it's final moments:

https://youtu.be/Mx1nWuDfN6M

As you can see, it was bouncing out of a charging state. Before this video, the system tray for the battery was saying it was charging, although the battery percentage was dropping and never increased. 

I'm curious what you think could be faulty here. Could it be the battery although it passed the diagnostic checks? Could it be the adapter even though it hit the 19.5 volts it's rated for? 

This laptop is under extended warranty with HP, so will be sending it off next week for repairs. However, I had to get this repaired 4 months ago for a faulty battery, where it was barely keeping 15-20 minutes of charge at idle. So, just wanting to get your opinions in-case they never fixed the original problem. I've also had to get this laptop repaired for a faulty screen as well as another for a SSD that died. Bare in mind, I have only had this laptop since early 2019, so at what point is this an unreasonable experiance for me as an end user? I feel like I am in a position to reasonably ask for an entire new system off them at this point. Or am I just unlucky? 

Thanks

Laptop Specs:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-dc0000-laptop-pc-series/20329817/model/22833727/document/c06047270

OMEN-HP 15-dc0022na

CPU: i7-8750H

GPU: GTX 1070

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

Seems like the Barrel jack is broken. Have you checked the connector on charger and laptop. If it is bent straighten it out with a flat tip screwdriver. 

Hi all, as some additional pieces to the mystery, PSB. Anyone ever seen pitting on a plug before? 

IMG_3257.jpg

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

7 minutes ago, ardwivedi16 said:

Seems like the Barrel jack is broken. Have you checked the connector on charger and laptop. If it is bent straighten it out with a flat tip screwdriver. 

I highly doubt it is anything to do with the connectors. I say this as the fault described in my initial post developed while the battery was charging normally with the connector in. So, I doubt there is something physically blocking it.

However, I have done a visual check and everything appears to be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Jetrise said:

I highly doubt it is anything to do with the connectors. I say this as the fault described in my initial post developed while the battery was charging normally with the connector in. So, I doubt there is something physically blocking it.

However, I have done a visual check and everything appears to be fine. 

Ok then. I told this because I had a similar issue a while back on my Inspiron E1505 and it was caused by the pin being bent in the middle of the port.

Bump into view...