780TI 2way SLI - ANY benefit?

KD.Preizler.515
Go to solution Solved by Jasmin,

Are there any benefit to be achived with 2way 780 ti sli?

I'm taking better fps, maybe for multi screen needs? 4k?!

Or is two of the 780 sli just plain stupid?

I'm running 780 Ti in SLI on 4770k @4.2 with 2 monitors:

a) Games that are mostly CPU bound (looking at you WoT wit your bloody one-core design) - decreases temps dramatically (MSI Twin Frozr IV running at 30-50, comapred to 70-80 with SLI disabled)

b) Games that are GPU bound - increases FPS by 20-80%. It either means no drops below 60 in 1080p, sort of stable 120 if you have the monitor for it.

In general 1080p is great, even with recording on (shadowplay when possible, dxtory otherwise - both marginable decreases), especially if you have a monitor with above 60hz (using the BenQ reviewed by Linus). More demanding games are buttersmooth (bf4, metro LL etc). 1440p looks very reasonable like this. If you have the money for it - get it :D

Are there any benefit to be achived with 2way 780 ti sli?
I'm taking better fps, maybe for multi screen needs? 4k?!

Or is two of the 780 sli just plain stupid?

sli's never stupid but your not going to be doing 4k as well on 780tis because they dont have the vram like a titan would

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

So you're talking quad sli?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Stupid unless your monitor has a refresh rate above 120Hz or you want 4K gaming.

2-way SLI 780Ti is benificial if the game is optimized for it.

It's overkill 1080p but a good choice if you can afford it for 1400p and even higher resolutions ( 1600p, 2160p ).

Hi KD.Preizler.515,

Well for 1080P i would say you were silly, to go higher, as for mayber triple 1080P it may help your FPS but very, very expensive, 4K is where it might start to become useful, as for how much of a gain it would have, your guess is as good as mine, Maybe in 4K surround you would need the extra power. But personally i would use the money elsewhere as thats how little gain i think it would get, and if you are gaming in 4K surround you have more money to spend than sense as games are not built for that, so by all means go for it. 

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

Freelancing Since 2012

Nabh, ivyk, but i see why It would sound that way.

I'm talking about 2 x GTX 780 TI in sli - people around the web are saying that "There is no need AT ALL!!" for 2 of those cards.

SAV1OUR - So 2 x Titan blacks would be better?

Well, I've been looking at benchmark charts for Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 etc and sometimes theres are big change (30+ fps) from a single to duel 780TI :)

LeSLeeve - I am. 144hz from asus, or I'll wait for the ROG 27" gsynch one.

Well, I've been looking at benchmark charts for Crysis 3, Battlefield 4 etc and sometimes theres are big change (30+ fps) from a single to duel 780TI :)

Well Thats good that there is a gain from running the cards, although i know that more FPS is good, think of the cash outlay, is it actually worth it, remember that aside from benching how much of a gain are you really going to see?

Freelancing Since 2012

I'm talking about 2 x GTX 780 TI in sli - people around the web are saying that "There is no need AT ALL!!" for 2 of those cards.

No Titan blacks make no sense. Unless you ALSO need to do heavy productivity work which requires Double Precision you're better off with 780ti.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Well Thats good that there is a gain from running the cards, although i know that more FPS is good, think of the cash outlay, is it actually worth it, remember that aside from benching how much of a gain are you really going to see?

Thats a good point, but for me Its already nearly half price compared my own country, so the ekstra pricetag is acceptable to build the thing I want.

I'd wait for G-Sync and a newer generation of nVidia's high-end GPUs.

yes the 6gb ram is more beneficial for 4k but the 780tis will do better at 1440p

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

No Titan blacks make no sense. Unless you ALSO need to do heavy productivity work which requires Double Precision you're better off with 780ti.

Well, I do a little video converting and photoshop editing, but nothing like that.

The system I'm planning this for with be custom liquid cooled (Cpu, vga, 2x quad rads in 900D),

So, In my mind when you're already going all the way, why not add an extra card, with an extra koolance waterblock and therefore be more equipped for the future games?

/KD

Well, I do a little video converting and photoshop editing, but nothing like that.

The system I'm planning this for with be custom liquid cooled (Cpu, vga, 2x quad rads in 900D),

So, In my mind when you're already going all the way, why not add an extra card, with an extra koolance waterblock and therefore be more equipped for the future games?

/KD

Hey it's your money, just don't throw it at titans for no reason please :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I'd wait for G-Sync and a newer generation of nVidia's high-end GPUs.

Well, the current "next-gen" maxwell arch 800 series is mainly reserved the M models (as fair as I can tell), which means that although the 900 series will be with maxwell aswell, it'll take a looong time before we see anything other but facelifts and clockspeed increases. As for the monitor, I don't expect this to build to be a reality before the mid-end of the summer season, so hopefully the Gsynch monitors are out by then.

Hey it's your money, just don't throw it at titans for no reason please :P

Well, thats why I come here and ask you guys! ^^

Well, the current "next-gen" maxwell arch 800 series is mainly reserved the M models (as fair as I can tell), which means that although the 900 series will be with maxwell aswell, it'll take a looong time before we see anything other but facelifts and clockspeed increases. As for the monitor, I don't expect this to build to be a reality before the mid-end of the summer season, so hopefully the Gsynch monitors are out by then.

Could be that by then there's news about the 800 series (they ARE still slated for 2014). Or that 700 series cards are at least cheaper. Just something to consider for ordering your components.

Could be that by then there's news about the 800 series (they ARE still slated for 2014). Or that 700 series cards are at least cheaper. Just something to consider for ordering your components.

I would go for a new architecture ( Maxwell ) instead of the rebranded 600 series ( the 700 series of current generation ) to be a little bit future proof with the Maxwell & G-Sync.

I would go for a new architecture ( Maxwell ) instead of the rebranded 600 series ( the 700 series of current generation ) to be a little bit future proof with the Maxwell & G-Sync.

Futureproofing is an illusion o3o

Futureproofing is an illusion o3o

That's why I said a "little", I do agree that futureproof doesn't exist but lasting a few years in the next generation's games is what I can call futureproof in this context.

That's why I said a "little", I do agree that futureproof doesn't exist but lasting a few years in the next generation's games is what I can call futureproof in this context.

Alright, that's fair enough. :)

If you want crossfire gtx 780ti get an asus PA or 4k monitor :-/

SLI would mostly benefit 3D vision, however, yes for 1080p is a little overkill... If I was doing 1440p 3D gaming, which I will be, then I would get those 2 in SLI...even though, i think Maxwell would do well...even though, we gonna have to wait ...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm