Resident Evil 7 is a masterpiece! Thoughts?

GamerBlake

I just beat RE:7 for the first time today. I’ve had it for years but after 20 minutes in I was too scared to play it until now after beating RE8 and wanting more.

The game is a masterpiece! Definitely one of, if not the most, brilliant horror games I’ve ever played!

I think the atmosphere was spooky & intense and the story was fantastic for a RE game. The boss fights were unique and the puzzles were fun and more challenging than most RE puzzles.

For the first time I actually had to use a guide for an RE game after getting stuck on the Happy Birthday puzzle. I won’t say anymore to avoid spoiling things but that puzzle is tough!

The only complaint I have is the lack of variety in enemies. Aside from boss fights you have normal molded, big molded, and 4 legged molded.

What do you guys think? Is RE7 a masterpiece? Or did you have complaints I didn’t address?

Thanks for reading! 🙂

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

It's a good one. They tried to go back to the spirit of the original, which was nice. For me the title of masterpiece goes to RE8 however.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I never really clicked with it if I'm honest.

It definitely had all the right ingredients, but it just wasn't for me.

9 hours ago, tikker said:

It's a good one. They tried to go back to the spirit of the original, which was nice. For me the title of masterpiece goes to RE8 however.

Eh I felt like RE8 was a great game but it didn't have that same intense horror atmosphere. It felt mostly like an action game. I don't think I ever felt any sort of fear or anxiety while playing it. RE7 I was constantly anxious & dreading what comes next but every time I beat what came next I felt huge satisfaction.

23 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I never really clicked with it if I'm honest.

It definitely had all the right ingredients, but it just wasn't for me.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've had it for 3 years and up until last week I had never made it more than 20 minutes in before quitting because I don't really like the torture kind of stuff.

But then I got past the beginning and the game really surprised me with how good it was and I was glad the torture stuff wasn't too bad after the beginning.

Once you actually make it out of the Baker House for the first time the game really shines.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

16 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Eh I felt like RE8 was a great game but it didn't have that same intense horror atmosphere. It felt mostly like an action game. I don't think I ever felt any sort of fear or anxiety while playing it. RE7 I was constantly anxious & dreading what comes next but every time I beat what came next I felt huge satisfaction.

Oh yeah definitely. I think with Village they are setting up for an RE4 remake. It definitely didn't have the horror/scary approach, but that's kind of why I liked it more. My favourites in the series have always been REmake and RE4. I found that 7 came close, but 8 hit the nail on the head with the same atmosphere as the original in the coat of paint of 4. Especially in the castle.

7 had the survival aspect going for it. You had to be calculative about your ammo usage, whereas in Village, you can basically unload on everything and still be fine (on the normal and easy difficulties at least, harder and it will get more troublesome). Somehow the latter feels more "like RE" for me.

I do appreciate 7 more with the context of 8. Before this it really felt like the odd one out and potentially a strange direction for the series, but now it's nicely retrofitted in the glorious mess that is the RE universe.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, GamerBlake said:

Yeah I know what you mean. I've had it for 3 years and up until last week I had never made it more than 20 minutes in before quitting because I don't really like the torture kind of stuff.

But then I got past the beginning and the game really surprised me with how good it was and I was glad the torture stuff wasn't too bad after the beginning.

Once you actually make it out of the Baker House for the first time the game really shines.

I might give it another go then.

29 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I might give it another go then.

Yeah for sure! I recommend getting at least an hour in before giving up.

The 1st hour is definitely the scariest and most intense for sure because you have no weapons and the tension is high since you're mostly running away.

Once you get into the game and have some decent weapons & ammo + healing items the game slows down and lets you explore and enjoy the puzzles and stuff while throwing a couple monsters at you every once in a while.

I tried to play it so many times but I just kept quitting after the first fight with Jack because it felt too spooky & anxiety provoking and I laid it down for a few years. But I finally pushed through that first hour and really started enjoying it. Now I rank it as the best RE game of them all and I'm considering buying the DLC.

The "Happy Birthday" puzzle is the hardest puzzle I've seen in an RE game and I've played & completed RE2R, RE3R, RE7 & RE8.

I'll always remember that puzzle whereas with most puzzles I forget them pretty quickly because they're easy.