So I'm looking into GPU prices

coolbluewolf11

For one of my classes we need to do a research paper on something and I settled on whether or not crypto miners are significantly affecting the price of GPUs does anyone have any sources that might help me?

I was just asking if anyone did a part of the legwork already. Efficient use of time is a good skill to have.

So what you're asking for is if someone has already written the paper you intend to write. That's not how research works.

ย 

As a tip, look up the value of GPU-mined cryptocurrencies relative to new GPU launches. Calculate the ROI on these GPUs relative to real world retail price (you'll probably have to gather lots of data regarding electricity costs as well) and you'll get a rough approximation as to how valuable any given GPU might be to mining and what maximum price it could hold for someone looking into mining. I'm sure you can find existing data sets for both individually.

And now a word from our sponsor:ย ๐Ÿ’ฉ

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

แ‘แ‘Œแ‘แ‘ข

Spoiler

ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€

ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–€ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  โ–€โ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€

ย  ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆย โ–„โ–„ย  ย  ย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–„ย ย โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–€

ย  ย  ย  ย โ–€ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  โ–„โ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  โ–„โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

ย 

Thank you Avocado Diaboli the stuff in the second paragraph was exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't looking to copy someone else's paper I just needed help getting a good jumping off point.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, James Evens said:

That's not how your class/taskย is supposed to work. I could give you some search engines but again you could find those by asking google.

"Google it" type of replies are against the Community Standards.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, coolbluewolf11 said:

I was just asking if anyone did a part of the legwork already. Efficient use of time is a good skill to have.

So are patronizing / antagonistic ones.

ย 

If you're unwilling or unable to help, then move on and don't reply. People coming here asking for advice aren't looking for those.

ย 

ย 

ย 

@coolbluewolf11ย you could also look at the RTX 3080 launch scarcity VS when cryptocurrency value went up.

ย 

Btw keep in mind that the average retail price is also influenced by other factors like tariffs, ressources scarcity and COVID restrictions that affected fabs, and so that might not be a good thing to track as it could be hard to evaluate if crypto influenced that.

ย 

A good place to get data on prices though, is PC part picker.

ย 

For the rest, main tech news website will have articles about everything related to that ;

Techradar

Ars Technica

Wired

TechCrunch

Gizmodo

Etc...

ย 

ย 

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Depending on how deep you want to go, you might want to look into analyzing the raw data of Ethereum prices in particular over the interested period (you can export csv data from pretty much any crypto price tracking site), and compare that with any raw data you may be able to find on retail pricing and market on for 30 series cards. Of course, the raw data for pricing fluctuations is pretty difficult to find, but you might be able to find a way to aggregate that data, or find someone who's done that and cite that data. Another thing that might be of interest is whatever raw data is released by Nvidia during earnings calls or press releases in terms of sales or units moved (though you'd have to figure out where that data actually is).

ย 

Of course, like @wkdpaul said, it's incredibly difficult to deconvolute the price increases relative to literally everything else that's been going on. There's a reason tech media has been calling it a perfect storm of circumstances, so I would imagine it's very difficult to isolate to what extent crypto mining actually has affected prices in an objective manner. I'd be interested to see the results.

ย 

23 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

So what you're asking for is if someone has already written the paper you intend to write. That's not how research works.

I don't think you're intending to miss the point, but it does miss it by a lot. There's a difference between citing a few people who have already made the exact same argument, and citing people who did prerequisite work (such as aggregating and analyzing data in service of a more narrow conclusion) and doing extra legwork on your own to lend credence to your own, more broad hypothesis. Conversation in literature is exactly how research works.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit.ย Apologies in advance.

ย 

็ ๆฑŸ (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t);ย Motherboard:ย ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi;ย RAM:ย G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16;ย Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans;ย GPU:ย EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra;ย Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB;ย PSU:ย Corsair RM850x;ย Case:ย Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black;ย Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC);ย Case Fans:ย 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans;ย Capture Card:ย Elgato HD60 Pro

ย 

็ฟป็”Ÿ (Resurrection):ย CPU:ย 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2;ย Motherboard:ย ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB;ย RAM:ย Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM;ย Cooling Solution:ย 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO;ย GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX;ย Storage:ย Crucial MX500, 500GB;ย PSU:ย Super Flower Leadex III 750W;ย Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapterย Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

ย 

ๅฃฏ้บ— (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment);ย Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)