Best 13 inch laptop video editing

I'm a university student who will be doing allot of heavy digital media, from photography, video editing, photoshop, illustrator, and such

I have been using a xps 15 9500 for the longest time,  but I am having to give it up to my parents leaving me computer less

Was thinking of purchasing a lew laptop, mabey this time a 13 inch? Somthing thin and light that can also keep up with my workflow

(Samsung dex aint a fix I wanna use for much longer aha. So I don't really have to much of a budget, cheaper the better of course)

Always been a fan of Linus tech tips , and always heard people could send their questions to the forum so here I am aha,

By default was thinking a xps 13 inch, but Amds performance lead has me thinking there better options,

Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, Meeps said:

photography, video editing

I am not sure if anything is an upgrade in the 13" laptop department especially coming from a very recent xps 15, what apps are you using specifically? If those apps are available in arm osx, maybe consider a macbook air/pro with the M1?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am not sure if anything is an upgrade in the 13" laptop department especially coming from a very recent xps 15, what apps are you using specifically? If those apps are available in arm osx, maybe consider a macbook air/pro with the M1?

Yea I pretty much thought the same thing. With smaller notebooks the M1 is a great option. Some of the newer 11th gen i7 laptops can come close to the M1 in performance but M1 can do it quieter and for longer. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Photoshop is an absolute nightmare on a 13 inch screen. Same goes for most of the other apps you mentioned.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 minutes ago, connorpiper said:

Yea I pretty much thought the same thing. With smaller notebooks the M1 is a great option. Some of the newer 11th gen i7 laptops can come close to the M1 in performance but M1 can do it quieter and for longer. 

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

That might be a option,

but sticking on windows would be more ideal, between compatibility with pre existing hardware I have, and even some softwares that would be forced to default to be run on a browser,

Programs that are a must for me would be:

Adobe premier, illustrator, photoshop, bridge, Dreamweaver,

Microsoft office suite (one note x Samsung notes)

Matlab,

Anything else I can live withought,

2 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Photoshop is an absolute nightmare on a 13 inch screen. Same goes for most of the other apps you mentioned.

Oof, definatly a reminder and thing I dident think about,

I Have a external portable monitor via USB USB thunderbolt I could use for bigger projects tho, so should be okay,

13 minutes ago, connorpiper said:

I dunno, been watching a few videos and it seems NOTHING comes to close to the M1 for video editing.  The video acceleration is just second to none, especially during editing.  It even needs less RAM somehow, tough an essential given there's no 32GB model yet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Mac book M1 hands down, if you can switch to FinalCut Pro, or Davinci.
Adobe Premiere is optimized like a pile of Crap, even the M1 native version.

The other 2 export the video with twice the speed.

But even with Premiere, it beats every single Quad Core. So every Tiger Lake U-series.

You'd need a high wattage 6/12 Core, or 8/16 Core, to beat an m1. And then, it would also consume more Power.

What i personally read alot, what i liked, is not the performance, but the efficiency. People can edit videos while on battery, and it still has alot juice left. While every x86 Device, one small Video, and battery is gone.

Probably an m1 macbook, if you want windows perhaps an asus x13?