How long does a gtx1660 last in terms of life (not gaming years)

RanchTheHay005

I have planned to buy a ROG Strix (GL10DH-IN027T)) which has a 3400G AND A 1660TI (6gb)

i wonder how long does a 1660ti last (in terms of life...not gaming years)...if i use it for general purposes and sometimes play AAA games?

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Graphics-Keyboard-GL10DH-IN024T/dp/B08SX5Y6YN (link for the pc i am talking about)

That depends on a lot of factors such as chip lottery, thermals, how much use it gets, how well you keep your case and hardware clean from dust, etc.

If you look after the card well, i don't see why you can't get 10yrs or more of life out of the card.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

49 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

That depends on a lot of factors such as chip lottery, thermals, how much use it gets, how well you keep your case and hardware clean from dust, etc.

If you look after the card well, i don't see why you can't get 10yrs or more of life out of the card.

But by then it will probably be obsolete and useless, like a GTX 560 is today.

1 hour ago, Tech87 said:

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Most electronics that sport solid capacitors generally have a MTBF of about 100,000 hours working at full load. (That's 10 years+change) 

A reference we can use to determine how long hardware can last, is in the Retro Computer parts thread. 

https://linustechtips.com/topic/90677-show-off-your-old-and-retro-computer-parts/

oh....thanks!

because i have read in many places that most dedicated GPUs last only around 5 years irrespective of how well you maintain it....that made me kinda stay away from dedicated gpus...

thanks!

42 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

But by then it will probably be obsolete and useless, like a GTX 560 is today.

the GTX 560 is still better than most of the current day entry level dGPUs and iGPUs....(ex.mx230)

like i dont care if it gets obsolete after 8 years or so...i just need it to work after 8 years....

my pc which was bought in 2010 has an integrated graphics card which windows does not recognize in any way...it is called  "Intel High Defenition Graphics  for Previous Generation Intel Processors" acc. to intel website and still gets the job done today of playing 1080p vids and play some emulated games at 30fps...

32 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

oh....thanks!

because i have read in many places that most dedicated GPUs last only around 5 years irrespective of how well you maintain it....that made me kinda stay away from dedicated gpus...

thanks!

I've seen PCs last years and years in harsh environments in Automotive and Diesel shops that had either dedicated graphics or integrated be it the board or cpu. 

If you have a dusty environment, you would just do regular cleaning of your PC like you would anything else in your home. Dusting furniture, vacuum the floor... clean the pc.

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I've seen PCs last years and years in harsh environments in Automotive and Diesel shops that had either dedicated graphics or integrated be it the board or cpu. 

If you have a dusty environment, you would just do regular cleaning of your PC like you would anything else in your home. Dusting furniture, vacuum the floor... clean the pc.

hmm thanks!!....coz i had a bad experience with a dedicated graphics card of my old laptop...and my computer mechanic used to tell that dedicated graphics usually last only around 3 years irrespective of how demanding you use (nowadays we dont call him lol...i can fix the pc by myself..with some help from you guys)

32 minutes ago, Sed Linus said:

hmm thanks!!....coz i had a bad experience with a dedicated graphics card of my old laptop...and my computer mechanic used to tell that dedicated graphics usually last only around 3 years irrespective of how demanding you use (nowadays we dont call him lol...i can fix the pc by myself..with some help from you guys)

I think laptops take a lot of abuse. He may have come up with that figure as an average based on what he's seen. 

Laptop.

Gets stuff spilled in it.

Set down on the counter roughly.

Overheat a lot.

Battery life is poor. (Imo)

Could be a few different things that break a laptop. Just because you had a bad experience once, doesn't tell us the life of the laptop and the abuse it went through.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:25 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

I think laptops take a lot of abuse. He may have come up with that figure as an average based on what he's seen. 

Laptop.

Gets stuff spilled in it.

Set down on the counter roughly.

Overheat a lot.

Battery life is poor. (Imo)

Could be a few different things that break a laptop. Just because you had a bad experience once, doesn't tell us the life of the laptop and the abuse it went through.

that laptop underwent thermal issues...but no physical damage tho...

still thanks