Google NEST Mini

Azeures

Dear Linus & LTT Forum,

I am writing to seek your help with my Google NEST Mini — I am wondering whether there might be a wide-spread defect with the product that is going unnoticed without proper support and plans to follow-up.

The issue at hand is that the Google NEST Mini is constantly disconnecting from the WIFI from a day-to-day basis.

Users then have to constantly repeat the cycle of re-setting up the device whenever they want to use the NEST Mini.

Solutions that have been tried and tested so far: Resetting the device, updating the device firmware, moving the device closer to the router.

You can see from the Google Support thread below with close to 2000 responses — This issue has been ongoing for close to 1.5 years now.

(https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/23575312/google-nest-mini-s-are-disconnecting-from-network-every-couple-of-minutes?hl=en)

Seeing that Linus managed to bring some attention to Apple's poor customer support for their product, I was wondering if the same attention could be brought to Google.

One excerpt from the Google Thread:

User StevenC6789:
I filed a warranty replacement, a customer service officer finally replied to me after several weeks.  Went back and forth for several days with email and phone calls, then finally got this reply from them...

"I’ve checked it twice with our team, and we’ve verified that your Google Nest Mini is yet to be supported in your country/region. It may or may not work.  Thanks for your time"

That was their bloody answer!  I can guarantee my next smart speaker will NOT be a Google product.  Hello Alexa.

It also seems like there is hardly an avenue to leave a bad review for Google's products. I think you can only do so on 3rd party sites which you have made the purchase from.

With all that being said, if any of you has a solution to this I would also be keen to give it a go — I believe many others would want to know too.

Thank you for your attention.

Brought mine over from the US, connected it here in the Philippines and it did disconnect once every so often as well. Once I updated it to the latest firmware and switched it from 2.4Ghz to my 5Ghz band on the router that fixed the issue and it never disconnected again, solid for over a year now. Maybe that is an option for you?

RYZEN 7 3700X / MSI X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI / ZOTAC 3070 TWIN EDGE OC / CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB @ 3200 / SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 / WD BLACK SN850 M.2 / GIGABYTE P750GM 80+ GOLD / MSI MAG FORGE 100R / MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 

2 hours ago, Wayupthere said:

Brought mine over from the US, connected it here in the Philippines and it did disconnect once every so often as well. Once I updated it to the latest firmware and switched it from 2.4Ghz to my 5Ghz band on the router that fixed the issue and it never disconnected again, solid for over a year now. Maybe that is an option for you?

Thank you for your response! Yes, I have tried that as well — Removed band steering, switched between bands (currently on 5GHz) and am also on the latest firmware without joy.

• 4 months later...

Hello LTT Forums,

After a few months, the problem still persists and it looks like it is still widespread — Google continues to sell this device even though it may be defective.

The original Google issue thread has been closed with about 2090 responses. New threads continue to spring up in the new Google Nest forums.

How do we bring awareness to this issue? Or would the next step be for someone to initiate a class action lawsuit?

Some links for reference:

Original Google Thread: https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/23575312/google-nest-mini-s-are-disconnecting-from-network-every-couple-of-minutes?hl=en

New Google Threads: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-Nest-Mini-2-is-loosing-WiFi-connection/m-p/6445

Other blogs picking the issue up:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/26/google-still-hasnt-solved-year-old-nest-mini-issues/

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/06/11/google-nest-mini-wi-fi-disconnecting-issue/

Any chance LTT could also pick this up? 😣

Thank you and keep safe everyone.

I have multiple and have had zero issues with any of them.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Most likely just your router/wifi.  have you replaced that yet?

wifi sucks, It could be anything that could cause it to disconnect for any number of users.  Ive seen laptops drop a connection if someone in the house turns on the microwave.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>