Help With Wired Connection Not Appearing After Reboot

Go to solution Solved by cichington,
On 6/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, ramava said:

Yeah. Assuming it's a wireless router, it would have to be outside of the box. I wasn't even thinking about the WiFi originally.

So after some troubleshooting, it turns out the ethernet jack I was originally using was either damaged or not run correctly.  Thankfully there was another jack close by that worked and I have been able to get a stable connection.  Thanks for the recommendations on troubleshooting!

Hey all,

I recently moved to a new apartment that has ethernet jacks built in to the unit.  I am not too familiar with these as the previous places I have lived have been too old to have them.  To my understanding, as long as there are ethernet wires connecting my router to my PC, I should get a wired connection.  The first time setting it up, I had a successful connection and was getting my advertised speeds of 400 Mbps. Great, problem solved? Nope, after a little gaming session on my wired connection I shut down my PC.  The next day I booted up my PC and was greeted with no wired connection.  Running the windows troubleshooting tool prompted a "connect an ethernet cable" solution.  I double checked all my cables and restarted my router modem and PC and it solved the issue.  I then shut my PC down and tried again a few hours later and was prompted with the same no connection.  I attempted to troubleshoot to see if it was my PC but after connecting a long ethernet cord directly from the router to PC, it worked fine.  I am asking to see what recommendations anyone has for assistance with this issue.  I have attached a couple of pictures and a poorly drawn diagram made in MS Paint.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I know this is the correct "bridged connection" in the "junction box" as this was the connection the couple of times it did work.

Wall Port Near Router and Modem:

IMG_3602.thumb.jpg.39a47d40653968f58395cce74470f235.jpg

"Junction Box":

IMG_3599.thumb.jpg.2464e4d406f0a9f6b993d392adc34b17.jpg

Diagram:

464270226_WonderfulDiagram.thumb.JPEG.dda4d3cea98a373527a10986d1fb2f37.JPEG

Setup

CPU: i7 10700K Cooled By Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix White Edition | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 VISION OC | MOBO: MSI MPG Z490M |

MEMORY: 32 GBs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB White CASE: White Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W SFX | 

STORAGE: 2 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 MONITOR: ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 

PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow V3 W/ Yellow Switches and Logitech G604 | OTHER: 8x White Corsair iCue QL120 and White Cable Extensions 

Add me on Steam!

I can't immediately see anything technically wrong with the way you have it set up. Effectively, you're creating a very long ethernet cable with the way you have it now. Instead, you can install the router in/by the junction box. Then the patch cables from the 555-030 module go to the router.

Then I decided my explanation was going to get confusing so I made a diagram. I didn't bother showing the coax, just the ethernet. The blue cables are in the wall. The others are the patch cables. This should make the individual lengths between devices shorter, which will hopefully eliminate some problems. Also, you can connect 3 more devices to the wall jacks this way in the future.

YsXbIQy.png

Edit: Also, this will help diagnose where your problem is, since you won't have the whole run between devices and instead only one smaller part of it.

1 hour ago, ramava said:

I can't immediately see anything technically wrong with the way you have it set up. Effectively, you're creating a very long ethernet cable with the way you have it now. Instead, you can install the router in/by the junction box. Then the patch cables from the 555-030 module go to the router.

Then I decided my explanation was going to get confusing so I made a diagram. I didn't bother showing the coax, just the ethernet. The blue cables are in the wall. The others are the patch cables. This should make the individual lengths between devices shorter, which will hopefully eliminate some problems. Also, you can connect 3 more devices to the wall jacks this way in the future.

YsXbIQy.png

Edit: Also, this will help diagnose where your problem is, since you won't have the whole run between devices and instead only one smaller part of it.

I did actually attempt to set up my modem and router in the junction box but was met with horrendous speeds due to the fact its a metal box.  I may try and figure out a way to have the router outside for better coverage but I appreciate the suggestion.  I will give it a shot today after work!  Conveniently the coax is also located in the junction box (I can tap into the direct cable going into the street) so this would make it a little easier and lessen any potential issues with the ethernet jacks.

Setup

CPU: i7 10700K Cooled By Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix White Edition | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 VISION OC | MOBO: MSI MPG Z490M |

MEMORY: 32 GBs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB White CASE: White Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W SFX | 

STORAGE: 2 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 MONITOR: ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 

PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow V3 W/ Yellow Switches and Logitech G604 | OTHER: 8x White Corsair iCue QL120 and White Cable Extensions 

Add me on Steam!

Yeah. Assuming it's a wireless router, it would have to be outside of the box. I wasn't even thinking about the WiFi originally.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, ramava said:

So after some troubleshooting, it turns out the ethernet jack I was originally using was either damaged or not run correctly.  Thankfully there was another jack close by that worked and I have been able to get a stable connection.  Thanks for the recommendations on troubleshooting!

Setup

Add me on Steam!