Changing thermal pads on RTX 2080 Super Gigabyte

TheRonen

Hello all !

I Need your help,

my GPU heats up on idle mode (56c to be exact) and when i redner 3d models it goes up to 100c

Capture.thumb.PNG.7404b2eb67adaed1a12302be275f9bbf.PNG

my friend told me that i need to change my GPU thermal pads and i dont know which one to buy, which thickness and which size i need

i have an Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super this one : https://www.gigabyte.com/il/Graphics-Card/GV-N208SGAMING-OC-8GC-rev-10#kf

is this going to be good ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154378719057?hash=item23f1b04f51:g:JhwAAOSwAYRgVGWe

or this ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/143910638992?epid=24045087011&hash=item2181be1590:g:brkAAOSw2zpfpjSw

thanks in advance !

Main PC :

CPU : i9 10900K || RAM : 64GB || GPU : RTX 3090

Workstation PC :

CPU : i5 10400F || RAM : 48GB || GPU : RTX 2060Super

SFX PC :

CPU : i5 9400F || RAM : 16GB || GPU : RTX 2080Super

19 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

Hello all !

I Need your help,

my GPU heats up on idle mode (56c to be exact) and when i redner 3d models it goes up to 100c

Capture.thumb.PNG.7404b2eb67adaed1a12302be275f9bbf.PNG

my friend told me that i need to change my GPU thermal pads and i dont know which one to buy, which thickness and which size i need

i have an Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super this one : https://www.gigabyte.com/il/Graphics-Card/GV-N208SGAMING-OC-8GC-rev-10#kf

is this going to be good ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154378719057?hash=item23f1b04f51:g:JhwAAOSwAYRgVGWe

or this ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/143910638992?epid=24045087011&hash=item2181be1590:g:brkAAOSw2zpfpjSw

thanks in advance !

Pretty sure that what you want to change is your thermal *paste*, the pads are really really durable, you only need to change them if they break during maintenance.

Search for the ones with the highest conductivity, or whichever fit 🙂
Also, don't buy a 100x100 sheet. You wanna get a pack with different thicknesses (normally ranging from 0.5 to 2mm, as they are the most common, its weird to find 3mm ones used)
I bought a pack of 5 sets like 3 or 4 years ago and i've still got 2 laying around.

Regarding thermal paste, i'd recommend Artic-MX5 or Noctua NT-H2.

Edit: Also, its fine for GPUs to run hot, they literally boost themselves to the limit. Just remember to give it a nice clean/dusting every once in a while.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

12 minutes ago, Xaring said:

Pretty sure that what you want to change is your thermal *paste*, the pads are really really durable, you only need to change them if they break during maintenance.

Search for the ones with the highest conductivity, or whichever fit 🙂
Also, don't buy a 100x100 sheet. You wanna get a pack with different thicknesses (normally ranging from 0.5 to 2mm, as they are the most common, its weird to find 3mm ones used)
I bought a pack of 5 sets like 3 or 4 years ago and i've still got 2 laying around.

Regarding thermal paste, i'd recommend Artic-MX5 or Noctua NT-H2.

Edit: Also, its fine for GPUs to run hot, they literally boost themselves to the limit. Just remember to give it a nice clean/dusting every once in a while.

thanks ! ill try that !

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

36 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

goes up to 100c

A GPU shouldn't even go past 90c, the limit is normally 83c for Nvidia GPUs

So... Idk how reliable task manager is, or what it's measuring

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 5/29/2021 at 9:02 AM, Moonzy said:

A GPU shouldn't even go past 90c, the limit is normally 83c for Nvidia GPUs

So... Idk how reliable task manager is, or what it's measuring

agreed, in HWmonitor while rendering it goes up to 87c and 50c when idle (which is still high)

ill reaplce the thermal compund today and see if it changes

thanks

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

51 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

agreed, in HWmonitor while rendering it goes up to 87c and 50c when idle (which is still high)

ill reaplce the thermal compund today and see if it changes

thanks

That is a more normal temp. Still high but not shutdown high.

Do you have good airflow in your case? Is your front panel of the case glass or mesh? What model do you have and what is your fan setup?

I think I need new thermal pads .... 😒

IMG-20210531-WA0014.jpeg

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

43 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

I think I need new thermal pads .... 😒

IMG-20210531-WA0014.jpeg

Yeah you do gpu is out of order for now. Measure the thickness at the edges (the not compressed parts) and order the correct thickness ones. You can cut them to shape.

A ripped pad isn't too bad as you can normally just puzzle them back togheter but one of those is just simply too ripped.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah you do gpu is out of order for now. Measure the thickness at the edges (the not compressed parts) and order the correct thickness ones. You can cut them to shape.

A ripped pad isn't too bad as you can normally just puzzle them back togheter but one of those is just simply too ripped.

can you reccomend a good thermal pads that can fit this card model ?

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

21 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

can you reccomend a good thermal pads that can fit this card model ?

You;ll have to measure the thickness first. Once I know that I can recommend. The shape you'll have to cut yourself as thermal pads are made to be cut.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. 

Did you manage to get thermal pads for your graphics card? I want to do some maintenance on my Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC 3x. As far as I know it has the same cooler and similar if not the same PCB design. 

Do you know the thickness? I've asked Gigabyte, but they wouldn't tell me. 

Told me to send it back through warranty. 

The card doesn't have a warranty. 

Thx

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 3:05 AM, istvanzb said:

Hi. 

Did you manage to get thermal pads for your graphics card? I want to do some maintenance on my Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC 3x. As far as I know it has the same cooler and similar if not the same PCB design. 

Thx

I'm in the same exact boat as you, same card, and same response from Gigabyte, they act like it's a state secret that will topple Communism or something. Gigabyte USA literally told me they don't know what the thickness is, which is complete BS.

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, istvanzb said:

Hi. 

Thx

On 7/27/2021 at 11:12 PM, shoegod4935 said:

I'm in the same exact boat as you, same card, and same response from Gigabyte, they act like it's a state secret that will topple Communism or something. Gigabyte USA literally told me they don't know what the thickness is, which is complete BS.

Did you manage to find any info on the thermal pad thickness? My 2080 Super began reaching high GPU hotspot temperatures (100ºC+) with 90%+ fan speeds, so I'm thinking about disassembling the card to find out what's going on and replacing thermal paste on the die and the thermal pads on the card.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 10:18 AM, Cinetyk said:

Did you manage to find any info on the thermal pad thickness? My 2080 Super began reaching high GPU hotspot temperatures (100ºC+) with 90%+ fan speeds, so I'm thinking about disassembling the card to find out what's going on and replacing thermal paste on the die and the thermal pads on the card.

I'm thinking of that too. Can you share thickness of pads you measurred?