Smartwatch advice

As the title implies I am currently looking for a smartwatch. As most of the people around me have started wearing smartwatches, I found a new interest in wanting to have one as well.

Looking at all the variety that is out there it is hard to decide which is the best my case specifically, especially since I only recently really got into computers and tech related stuff, so still being on the learning curve of things.

I basically want a smartwatch, that can run basic apps like music, display my messages, maybe take calls from it instead of having to pick up my phone, calender and that kind of stuff. The apple watch for example has all the functions that I would love to have for a smartwatch. However seeing as this doesn't work on android, I am looking for a good android smartwatch that has the same functionality. 

In case this makes a difference I am currently using a Samsung S8 as main phone, with a secondary Moto Z3 Play, the smartwatch will probably only be used along with my S8 and not the Z3. 

I am looking into possibly getting a newer Samsung phone in the future, so no going back to apple for me on this front. The max I am willing to pay for a smartwatch is up to €300,- ($370).

I hope you guys can help me, as I have just been aimlessly looking at different smartwatches,w ithout really knowing what I need and I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. if this is the wrong place to post this I would love to hear it and I will remove it and move it to the appropriate forum.

If you're going to buy a smartwatch right now, get some sort of Galaxy watch. If you don't care about integration with Google's services, Tizen is a very well-optimized OS that will give you a much better user experience than Wear OS.

However, right now really isn't the best time to buy a smartwatch. If you hadn't heard, Google and Samsung just announced that they'll be teaming up to create a new, unified smartwatch OS that will run on their future devices (so no more Tizen vs Wear OS). Right now there's no word on whether current smartwatches will receive an update to this new OS, so it might be better to wait until new smartwatches roll out with it already installed. It would basically combine the best features of Wear OS and Tizen onto one watch. So you get the performance and battery life of Tizen, as well as the Google Assistant and other Google services from Wear OS.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

how do you want to play music exactly?
I remember and well I still own to this day a Samsung Gear Fit 2, and it can save music from the internal storage and control music to the phone. These features should be presetted on most samsung smartwatches as well but I would do my research by looking at the product pages

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If you're going to buy a smartwatch right now, get some sort of Galaxy watch. If you don't care about integration with Google's services, Tizen is a very well-optimized OS that will give you a much better user experience than Wear OS.

However, right now really isn't the best time to buy a smartwatch. If you hadn't heard, Google and Samsung just announced that they'll be teaming up to create a new, unified smartwatch OS that will run on their future devices (so no more Tizen vs Wear OS). Right now there's no word on whether current smartwatches will receive an update to this new OS, so it might be better to wait until new smartwatches roll out with it already installed. It would basically combine the best features of Wear OS and Tizen onto one watch. So you get the performance and battery life of Tizen, as well as the Google Assistant and other Google services from Wear OS.

Oh I didn't know that, that is great news I will be on the look out for that. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

how do you want to play music exactly?
I remember and well I still own to this day a Samsung Gear Fit 2, and it can save music from the internal storage and control music to the phone. These features should be presetted on most samsung smartwatches as well but I would do my research by looking at the product pages

Most of the music I play is either from my internal phone storage or spotify so controlling spotify from the smartwatch is something I would like to be able to do.

26 minutes ago, The_Tiger said:

Most of the music I play is either from my internal phone storage or spotify so controlling spotify from the smartwatch is something I would like to be able to do.

well im looking at the USA website and they are throwing some crazy deals for smartwatches, i think at least but good opportunity for you if you are in the USA.
the galaxy watch active2 is starting 45-70 dollars in deal, and it has good features such as the spotify streaming (yay) and all the necessary fitness and health trackers and reminders. as for notifications, calls and messages, I'm pretty sure you will be able to receive them, no doubts there.
there is both bluetooth and LTE but seeing the purpose bluetooth might be good but if you are going for fitness outside and want to leave your phone at home temporarily and do basic stuff like make and receive calls, listen to spotify then ya might wanna grab LTE, for instance this is what they leave on the product description:
image:

image.thumb.png.6ddd6094a9bec623319a95c2d6fce6d0.png

anyways links:
LTE: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smartwatches/galaxy-watch-active2-40mm-black-lte-sm-r835uskaxar/
Bluetooth: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smartwatches/galaxy-watch-active2-40mm-aqua-black-bluetooth-sm-r830nzkaxar/
edit: as for LTE, ya might wanna do a research as samsung disclaims below in number 5

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

59 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

well im looking at the USA website and they are throwing some crazy deals for smartwatches, i think at least but good opportunity for you if you are in the USA.
the galaxy watch active2 is starting 45-70 dollars in deal, and it has good features such as the spotify streaming (yay) and all the necessary fitness and health trackers and reminders. as for notifications, calls and messages, I'm pretty sure you will be able to receive them, no doubts there.
there is both bluetooth and LTE but seeing the purpose bluetooth might be good but if you are going for fitness outside and want to leave your phone at home temporarily and do basic stuff like make and receive calls, listen to spotify then ya might wanna grab LTE, for instance this is what they leave on the product description:
image:

image.thumb.png.6ddd6094a9bec623319a95c2d6fce6d0.png

anyways links:
LTE: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smartwatches/galaxy-watch-active2-40mm-black-lte-sm-r835uskaxar/
Bluetooth: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smartwatches/galaxy-watch-active2-40mm-aqua-black-bluetooth-sm-r830nzkaxar/
edit: as for LTE, ya might wanna do a research as samsung disclaims below in number 5

Thank you very much! I will definitely look into this.