Urgent: CPU came out with the Cooler. And is stuck on the cooler.

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

Acetone can make it loosen up.
I'd suggest using a simple flathead screwdriver on one side, just insert the tip between the chip and cooler, then gently give the driver a twist, holding this pressure steady to it, don't try to actually force it loose.
You may have to hold this pressure for a little while but eventually it will give. Beware of it suddenly flipping off the cooler, "Feel" what's happening with the chip and once you start to feel a change, back off the twisting pressure because that means the bond has been broken and you should be able to complete the process more easily. You can lay your hand over the chip while doing it to control this so it doesn't fly off the cooler and have bent pins when it lands.

I was Removing the Wraith Prism cooler and was watching a video along with it to remove the cooler.

But the CPU has come out along with the Cooler and is stuck as if its super glued to the CPU

Its AMD Ryzen 7 2700x and Wraith Prism cooler

Note : i have had this PC since Jan 2019 and this is the thermal paste that came pre applied on the Cooler.

Max 20 MB upload limit sonhad to upload images seprately

IMG_20210526_s.jpg

Carefully twist it, try not to bend the pins.. twist it a lot, it will eventually come off.. be careful.  Then see if it will drop back into the socket without the locking bar engaged.  If it doesn't, check for bent or missing pins.

Grip the edges of the CPU with your fingers and wiggle it off, using a twisting motion. Push a bit, then turn a bit, rinse and repeat.

elephants

I would recommend heating it with a hair dryer to warm the paste then gently twist it off. you have to be careful because it can separate suddenly if the thermal paste is too cool. You should always run a 5-10 minute cpu stress test before removing an and cpu. 

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

Carefully twist it, try not to bend the pins.. twist it a lot, it will eventually come off.. be careful.  Then see if it will drop back into the socket without the locking bar engaged.  If it doesn't, check for bent or missing pins.

Ive checked, all pins are straight. But i hope its stays that way.

Just now, Sorenson said:

I would recommend heating it with a hair dryer to warm the paste then gently twist it off. you have to be careful because it can separate suddenly if the thermal paste is too cool. You should always run a 5-10 minute cpu stress test before removing an and cpu. 

I posted here for Precautions to take before dismantling PC and No one told me that. WTF 😞

Im scared, its not comming off. 

1 minute ago, RAGNES7 said:

Dental floss

Also heat it up, as mentioned prior.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, RAGNES7 said:

Its just stuck on there with thermal paste. Take a hair dryer to it for minute or so to loosen it up then you should be able to twist it right off.

There are these bubbles on both sides

IMG_20210526_bubbles.jpg

Can you scratch those bubbles with your finger nail?

1 minute ago, RAGNES7 said:

There are these bubbles on both sides

IMG_20210526_bubbles.jpg

Keep going. Heatsinks sucks a lot of heat so you gonna be heating it for awhile. Or as @Slottrsuggest, "saw" the bond with dental floss or a thin yarn.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Ive heaten up everything, now my fingers are burning to even touch the CPU to wiggle it.

Removed the bubbles tho

IMG_20210526_164733.jpg

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Keep going. Heatsinks sucks a lot of heat so you gonna be heating it for awhile. Or as @Slottrsuggest, "saw" the bond with dental floss or a thin yarn.

Broke a dental Floss. Maybe i have cheap dental floss

I'd do more heat, and something thin like a razor.  If you're comfortable with it....

Don't if you're not.. 

Just now, si1enze said:

I'd do more heat, and something thin like a razor.  If you're comfortable with it....

Should i shoot the heat into the fins or on cpu 

Focus heat on where the heat pipes are clamped together.  Not the bottom of the CPU.

If the heat works it shouldn't take a lot of force to remove it.

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

If the heat works it shouldn't take a lot of force to remove it.

Its clearly super glued, but, heres the issue, how do i pull it off the Heatsink, my fingers are burning

Let it cool down first..

You could try some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip around the edges to loosen that stuff up..