ARM releases new CPU and GPU designs!

Bratstech

Not every person is humerus. I always tell them that they should ARM themselves with more jokes.

Summary

ARM has introduced their new Armv9 architecture for CPUs and GPUs and is now previewing it in 2022 flagship android phones.

They Introduced 3 new CPU designs with their names being Cortex-X2, Cortex-A710, Cortex-A78. Arm isn’t just upgrading the performance cores. For the first time in four years, it’s also introducing a new “LITTLE” high-efficiency core, the Cortex-A510, which replaces the Cortex-A55 design that’s been used for major phones since it was introduced in 2017. It’s here that Arm’s promising the biggest jumps: up to 30 percent better performance, and 20 percent better power efficiency compared to the old model.

Quotes

"Arm is introducing three new CPU designs this year. First, the Cortex-X2: it’s part of Arm’s Cortex-X custom program that lets partners help design specialized cores for their specific use cases. A successor to last year’s Cortex-X1, it’s also the most powerful design in the lineup, promising up to 16 percent improved performance compared to last year’s model. There’s also the Cortex-A710, the new “big” core, promising up to 30 percent better power efficiency and 10 percent better performance than last year’s Cortex-A78." - The Verge

My thoughts

cool

Sources

Arm introduces its first Armv9 architecture CPUs and GPUs, previewing 2022’s Android flagships - The Verge

ARM introduces the first ARMv9 CPU cores (Cortex-X2, Cortex-A710, and Cortex-A510) plus new GPU technologies - Liliputing

ARM introduces v9, its first new chip architecture in a decade | Engadget

The title of OP is a clickbait. ARM simply makes the reference designs for the next generation of ARM chips, hence they do not compete with the likes of Samsung, Apple, Qualcomm, and others.

One thing is that with ARMv9, the likes of Apple Silicon can now finally compete with x86 chips when it comes to matrix computations, something AMD and Intel dominated and AS chips fall behind. This may not be a useful feature to most people but it is important for data scientists.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

The title of OP is a clickbait. ARM simply makes the reference designs for the next generation of ARM chips, hence they do not compete with the likes of Samsung, Apple, Qualcomm, and others.

One thing is that with ARMv9, the likes of Apple Silicon can now finally compete with x86 chips when it comes to matrix computations, something AMD and Intel dominated and AS chips fall behind. This may not be a useful feature to most people but it is important for data scientists.

haha I got the title wrong I was writing about Microsoft teaming up with qualcomm and I got the tabs mixed up cause I had to go do something. my bad

I'll be curious to see real world benchmarks for this - especially as compared to the M-series SOC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'll be curious to see real world benchmarks for this - especially as compared to the M-series SOC.

It'll depend on how each manufacturer will implement it, since they could use different lithographies, clock speeds, peripherals, etc etc.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, igormp said:

It'll depend on how each manufacturer will implement it, since they could use different lithographies, clock speeds, peripherals, etc etc.

Of course - ARM doesn't manufacture any of these references themselves. Not anymore anyway.

But what will a Qualcomm or Samsung implementation of these look like? How will they compare to the M1 (or the successor to M1), etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

How will they compare to the M1 (or the successor to M1), etc.

Poorly. Very poorly.

SPECint:

X1 - 41.30

X2  - 46.91 (estimate, based on Arm's +16% number)

M1 - 69.40

SPECfp:

X1 - 59.29

X2 - ???

M1 - 104.10

Even if we get as big of an improvement Arm says (which I am not so sure about, since that hinges on chipmakers implementing 8MB of L3 cache), it is still way behind Apple's current chip.

Apple is honestly like 3-4 generations ahead of Arm.