Gsync, on or off?

LilPach

I play competitively so my question is should I be using gsync or not. I understand it adds input delay, is this significant, or is gsync beneficial for competitive play. Game is fortnite and I play 240hz with a rtx 3070. Maybe an important detail is this is not an official gsync monitor just a certified gsync compatible monitor (originally free sync).

Just now, Tech87 said:

I believe most competitive players turn gsync off, along with most visual fidelity and resolution, to crank up the fps and keep input lag low.

Sounds good, never knew if any pros actually use gsync since they never talk about it and it’s not mentioned on pro settings websites. I figured they would prefer the least input delay

38 minutes ago, LilPach said:

Sounds good, never knew if any pros actually use gsync since they never talk about it and it’s not mentioned on pro settings websites. I figured they would prefer the least input delay

In theory yes, more fps = less input delay but only as long as you're not maxed out on GPU usage or CPU usage, then the input lag gets worse than actually playing at lower fps so watch out for that. 

Fortnite does Support NVidia Reflex 

If you want to understand what is latency and how it can be improved, give this a read:

Introducing NVIDIA Reflex: Optimise and Measure Latency in Competitive Games

Blurbusters made a test on input lag and G-Sync 

G-SYNC 101: Optimal G-SYNC Settings & Conclusion | Blur Busters

On their last page they have a FAQ

G-SYNC 101: Closing FAQ | Blur Busters

TLDR: 

Turn on G-Sync, use Fullscreen-Mode, Activate NVidia Reflex