Help! GeForce update has either destroyed my pc or was just really bad timing.

UniformGoose

Hey guys, 

Having a issue with a pc that I build about 9 months ago. I have a MSI 3070 a ryzen 5800x a Samsung m.2 as my only drive everything is name brand no weird cheap parts corsair psu gskill ran etc. Pc has ran good up untill a few days ago.. Hundreds of hours on it. What happened was I updated by GeForce driver and a few hours afterwards while just in discord and some light duty gaming my screen went black and then came back on. A few minutes after it went black again and I had to restart my pc. Thinking the driver was to blame I've tried reinstalling and tried the studio version instead of the gaming one. Nothing changed and my pc continued to go black after less then 5 minutes being on. Then it went to BSOD with a nvlddmkm.sys error. Frustrated and grasping for straws I reset my pc and installed a clean windows thinking it would put my driver to an older version. Continued to crash and now won't get to the sign in screen just goes to a BSOD and days windows won't start. I've tried safe mode and still no go. I apologize I can't get the dump file for the BSOD since I didn't know I should have done that while I could still get into windows and now it's too late since I can't get in anymore. One other thing it does is when the ROG screen is up when you turn it on where it gives you options to go to bios it'll freeze and there is green spots all over the screen and then goes to black. I plan on taking it to a local computer shop after the weekend but any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, UniformGoose said:

Hey guys, 

Having a issue with a pc that I build about 9 months ago. I have a MSI 3070 a ryzen 5800x a Samsung m.2 as my only drive everything is name brand no weird cheap parts corsair psu gskill ran etc. Pc has ran good up untill a few days ago.. Hundreds of hours on it. What happened was I updated by GeForce driver and a few hours afterwards while just in discord and some light duty gaming my screen went black and then came back on. A few minutes after it went black again and I had to restart my pc. Thinking the driver was to blame I've tried reinstalling and tried the studio version instead of the gaming one. Nothing changed and my pc continued to go black after less then 5 minutes being on. Then it went to BSOD with a nvlddmkm.sys error. Frustrated and grasping for straws I reset my pc and installed a clean windows thinking it would put my driver to an older version. Continued to crash and now won't get to the sign in screen just goes to a BSOD and days windows won't start. I've tried safe mode and still no go. I apologize I can't get the dump file for the BSOD since I didn't know I should have done that while I could still get into windows and now it's too late since I can't get in anymore. One other thing it does is when the ROG screen is up when you turn it on where it gives you options to go to bios it'll freeze and there is green spots all over the screen and then goes to black. I plan on taking it to a local computer shop after the weekend but any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

Time to get DDU & do a clean out in safe mode...

Studio drivers are for 'work' cards only...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

How would I go about doing this if I can't get into windows? 

3 minutes ago, UniformGoose said:

How would I go about doing this if I can't get into windows? 

Have you tried to Shift-Restart the PC to get to Troubleshooting reboot?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

I'd say about half the time it gives me a the blue menu screen to try and troubleshoot reboot. It usually tries to repair then just says it's failed and goes to black. I've got it to let me into windows twice so far for 2-3 mins so if I get in there again I should try to download and run DDU before it goes black? 

If you've really reformatted and reinstalled windows, DDU will do nothing different, DDU is what you use when you want to either switch GPU brand, or reinstall your driver, it's practically the same as reinstalling windows, only less nuclear.

This sounds like a problem with the GPU, not drivers, if the problem happens outside of windows drivers have nothing to do with this, I'd say to go to MSI's website and ask for an RMA, your card should still be under warranty. Though before that you can try to reseat the card, it's probably not that, but it can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the input guys. I did do a clean install of windows and I'm sure when I looked at the driver afterwards in the control panel it was an older version not the current that I had installed. I have reseated the card, ram, and m.2. Must have just been funny timing with the driver update and it messing up. I'll get ahold of msi and ask for an RMA. I do have another rig with an asus strix 1080. If I put that card in this pc that would confirm its the gpu correct? 

2 minutes ago, UniformGoose said:

I do have another rig with an asus strix 1080. If I put that card in this pc that would confirm its the gpu correct? 

yep, pretty much. if the 1080 works the problem is with the 3070.