Pixel 4A

Jonboy12

Is now a really stupid time to buy a pixel 4a? It seems like the 5A might be coming out soon.

Do you think it should be cheaper to get the pixel 4A used from Amazon once the 5A comes out?

Do you think the chip shortage is going to cause problem?

Do you think they're probably going to be shooting for a more expensive model anyway? Sorry for the stupid questions

2 hours ago, Jonboy12 said:

Is now a really stupid time to buy a pixel 4a? It seems like the 5A might be coming out soon.

Depends on if you think you'll need the performance upgrades the 5A should in theory provide. But even 10 months after its release, the 4A is still a very solid phone for the price. But it should also be noted that the 5A hasn't even officially been announced yet, so there's no telling when we'll actually see it in stores.

Do you think it should be cheaper to get the pixel 4A used from Amazon once the 5A comes out?

Most likely yes. You should even be able to get it cheaper new as well. Just because the 5A is out doesn't mean there won't still be new 4As floating around.

Do you think the chip shortage is going to cause problem?

Don't really have much insight into this, other than that it doesn't seem to have majorly affected other recent phone launches like the Samsung Galaxy S21

Do you think they're probably going to be shooting for a more expensive model anyway? Sorry for the stupid questions

Google was arguably the king of budget/mid-range android phones with the Pixel 4A this past year. I doubt they'll want to give up that title by making the 5A more expensive.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Depends on if you think you'll need the performance upgrades the 5A should in theory provide. But even 10 months after its release, the 4A is still a very solid phone for the price. But it should also be noted that the 5A hasn't even officially been announced yet, so there's no telling when we'll actually see it in stores.

Most likely yes. You should even be able to get it cheaper new as well. Just because the 5A is out doesn't mean there won't still be new 4As floating around.

Don't really have much insight into this, other than that it doesn't seem to have affected other recent phone launches like the Samsung Galaxy S21

Google was arguably the king of budget/mid-range android phones with the Pixel 4A this past year. I doubt they'll want to give up that title by making the 5A more expensive.

This is very helpful and comprehensive

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

You forgot Chinese phone brands?

Or you going to move the goalpoast?

There's a reason I said "arguably the best". Because it's an opinion. But please do me a favor and google "best budget Android phone 2021" and see if I'm the only one who thinks that.

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Also getting a used phone that originally comes with a 3,140mAh battery... god bless

I agree that this would definitely be a bad idea. Hence why I suggested buying a new 4A if/when the price drops.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

I would spring for a new Pixel 4a. The rumors go that the 5a is basically a 4a 5G and will cost more, so the 4a might remain the best value unless you're eager to have 5G... and a new battery will help you wring the most out of the phone until you're ready to upgrade again.

On 5/23/2021 at 2:45 AM, huilun02 said:

You forgot Chinese phone brands?

Or you going to move the goalpoast

Thank you.

As for the Chinese brand phone, that's not really good option for me personally.

Having a really good camera is very important to me, above a lot of other considerations and make a pixels don't matter as much as the work they've done on it and how refined it is and the pixel has one of the best cameras in the price range.

I also love the commitment to software support.

But I realize other than those things you could get a Chinese smartphone and probably get a good deal better in some ways than the pixel

On 5/23/2021 at 2:45 AM, huilun02 said:

3,140mAh battery... god bless

Hmmm, over the past few days I've actually been thinking of possibly getting a used pixel 4xl, fairly cheap, premium build waterproof, and a bigger battery.

23 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

agree that this would definitely be a bad idea. Hence why I suggested buying a new 4A if/when the price drops.

What do you think about me getting a used pixel 4 xl?

Bigger battery, water proof, and the lack of a headphone jack bothers me but only on a theoretical level

22 hours ago, Commodus said:

new battery will help you wring the most out of the phone until you're ready to upgrade again.

What do you think about an amazon renewed pixel 4 xl, bigger battery,

1 hour ago, Jonboy12 said:

What do you think about an amazon renewed pixel 4 xl, bigger battery,

Not super-thrilled. It'll also chew through battery sooner due to its processor, and it's a bit older than the Pixel 4a so will lose OS support that much sooner. It would be faster, but that would only matter if you expect to be demanding.