DeepMind to stay connected with Google

Bratstech

DeepMind to stay connected with Google

Summary

Parmy Olson has reported that Google has ended a yearslong negotiations between themselves and the AI company DeepMind. The company wanting independence from Google have been trying to make deals and plea but in the end Google said no. The reasoning for DeepMind wanting independence from google is that "...the powerful artificial intelligence they were researching shouldn't be controlled by a single corporate entity". This result isn't that surprising however because the Google execs have said time and time again that the company's future lies in AI. 

Quotes

"According to Olson, DeepMind told staff the talks were over “late last month.” One suggestion from DeepMind’s founders was apparently for the company to have the same legal structure as a nonprofit, “reasoning that the powerful artificial intelligence they were researching shouldn’t be controlled by a single corporate entity, according to people familiar with those plans.” But Google wasn’t on board with this, telling DeepMind it didn’t make sense considering how much money the company has poured into DeepMind." - The Verge

My thoughts

I kind of have to agree with DeepMind on this one. I feel like it should be like ARM where the tech is backed by all sorts of companies. No one company should have all the say on powerful AI like this.

Sources

DeepMind reportedly lost a yearslong bid to win more independence from Google - The Verge

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-unit-deepmind-triedand-failedto-win-ai-autonomy-from-parent-11621592951

Well, yes, I get their point...

... but I also don't see a safe future in them running solo given the state actors out there who'd be more than happy to grab the tech behind DeepMind.