(Guide) Using an NVIDIA Tesla K80 for Gaming on Windows

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2021 at 4:35 AM, 2s0ckz said:

Учитывая постоянную нехватку графических процессоров, я видел несколько сообщений в Интернете об использовании NVIDIA Tesla K40 (версия GTX Titan Black для центров обработки данных с 12 ГБ видеопамяти) для игр, поэтому я хотел поделиться своим опытом использования Tesla K80. , что по сути представляет собой два K40 на одной плате.

These cards can be found pretty cheap on eBay and Amazon right now, and they are absolute monsters with 4492 CUDA cores and 24 GB total memory. I bought mine off of Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Tesla-K80-Accelerator-Refurbished/dp/B07GJ45V3D) about 2 months ago for $200, but they are still going for $300 at the link above.

Basic Considerations

1. The Tesla K80 draws 300W and uses a CPU 8-pin cable, so you'll need a decent power supply with two CPU outputs.

2. You will need a BIOS with the option to enable "Above 4G decoding" (I’m using an ASUS Prime Z490-A mobo).

3. You will need to be running at least Windows 10 version 20H2 (I'm running 21H1).

4. You will need a CPU with integrated graphics (I'm using an Intel i9 10850-k), or a second GPU with display output.

Cooling the K80

Because Tesla cards are designed for servers and use passive cooling, you will need to rig up some DIY active cooling. One option is to buy a 3D printed adapter for a blower fan off of eBay.

What I did was I removed the heatsink shroud via the eight 1.5mm hex screws on the sides, and then peeled off the clear plastic cover that was glued on the inside. This exposes the heatsink on the rear of the graphics card.

r/pcmods - (Руководство) Использование графического процессора NVIDIA Tesla K80 Datacenter для игр
r/pcmods - (Руководство) Использование графического процессора NVIDIA Tesla K80 Datacenter для игр

I bought a full-length GPU cooler for $50 (https://www.amazon.com/anidees-Graphic-GIGABYTE-Addressable-AI-GP-CL/dp/B07Y6CY6GL/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=gpu+cooler&qid=1621551180&sr=8-4), which blows air into the graphics card through the opening where the clear plastic used to be. If you're not worried about aesthetics, there are some cheaper GPU coolers that go for about $20.

This setup keeps both GPUs at about 35°C on idle, and around 60°C under load, but it uses 4 PCI slots.

Enabling Graphics

The Tesla K80 is a computing GPU, so Windows will not recognize it as a graphics processor by default, though it can be used for computations and neural network training, etc. In order to trick Windows into using the K80 for graphics, these are the steps that I followed:

1. Включите «Декодирование выше 4G» в BIOS.

2. Установите последнюю версию драйвера NVIDIA Tesla K80 для Windows ( https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/174135/en-us )

3. Перезагрузить

4. Измените реестр Windows:

1. Перейдите в меню «Пуск» и введите «Regedit», введите.

2. Перейдите к: компьютер\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001 

3. Экспортируйте свой реестр, чтобы сделать резервную копию.

4. Удалите запись: AdapterType .  

5. Создайте 32-битное двойное слово: EnableMsHybrid и присвойте ему значение 1.   

5. Перезагрузить

6. Переключите GPU из режима вычислений (TCC) в режим графики (WDDM) в командной строке:

1. Перейдите в меню «Пуск» и введите «CMD».

2. Щелкните правой кнопкой мыши «Командная строка» и запустите от имени администратора.

3. Запустите nvidia-smi -L , чтобы получить список графических процессоров и их идентификационные номера.   

4. Запустите nvidia-smi -g {ID} -dm 0 , где {ID} — это идентификатор графического процессора, который вы хотите использовать для графики.

7. Перезагрузить

8. Назначьте исполняемый файл игры для запуска с помощью K80:

1. Щелкните правой кнопкой мыши на рабочем столе и перейдите к настройкам дисплея.

2. Прокрутите вниз и нажмите «Настройки графики ».

3. Найдите .exe-файл игры, которую вы хотите запустить с помощью K80.

4. Нажмите на игру в списке и выберите «Параметры» и выберите «Высокопроизводительный» графический процессор NVIDIA Tesla K80 .

Разгон (править)
Мой K80 имел ограничение тактовой частоты графического процессора 562 МГц и ограничение тактовой частоты памяти 2505 МГц. Я обнаружил, что графический процессор остается стабильным (без каких-либо изменений напряжения) при тактовой частоте 849,5 МГц и тактовой частоте памяти 3505 МГц.
Эти настройки можно изменить либо с помощью MSI Afterburner, либо путем прошивки VBIOS по этим инструкциям:  https://linustechtips.com/topic/1058561-simple-tutorial-ish-for-kepler-and-probably-maxwell-ii-bios твикер/

Выводы

В целом, я думаю, что это может быть довольно хорошим вариантом для тех, кто не смог заполучить новый графический процессор. Эти карты не так уж полезны для крипто-майнеров, поэтому они обычно были доступны. Кроме того, многие центры обработки данных избавляются от этих карт в пользу более новых вариантов, повышая их доступность.

Лично я переключил только один из двух графических процессоров своего K80 в режим WDDM, потому что в основном использую эту карту для научных вычислений. Точно так же я разогнал только графический процессор WDDM (путем прошивки VBIOS; MSI Afterburner разгонит оба графических процессора). По сути, теперь у меня есть один K40 на 12 ГБ для научных вычислений и второй K40 на 12 ГБ для игр. Для игр, которые я тестировал, он работает со средней скоростью 60 кадров в секунду на высоких настройках.

Источники:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gaming-on-my-tesla-more-likely-than-you-think/171185?fbclid=IwAR2QMYGD-LFsX7mMjBEspR48zMUR010cqSEEBe8b49YjHTY7aAIZcFSYfzY

https://www.overclock.net/threads/gaming-on-a-tesla-m40-gtx-titan-x-performance-for-a-thert-the-price.1777611/

Hey 2s0ckz,
I did everything according to your instructions, but I still have Graphics Settings, High performance" NVIDIA Nvidia Quadro K600 GPU
I'm running, Windows 10 version 21H2
my workstation Supermicro-X10DAX- Cpu 2x E5-2696v3
Quadro K600 for display output, Tesla K80 Dual GPU
Please help me solve the problem 
Thanks

Graphics2.jpg

Graphics.jpg

• 1 year later...

I followed this guide and got the K80 set up.

However, the card I want to use for display output is also an nvidia card; when I installed the K80 driver, the main card's driver was uninstalled and I'm stuck at a low resolution now. How can I have drivers for both cards installed simultaneously? Is this even possible?

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to run this card on an old HP Z800 Workstation? I have 32GB of RAM and two Nvidia GT 710 cards running along with it. I can see the Tesla K80 in Device Manager, but I can't seem to get it to take. My goal is to continue running my 3 monitors if possible still.

Also, my BIOS is pretty old and does not show the option to enable "Above 4G decoding". I've searched all over the placed and tried disabling several bits of hardware and ROM options as per many internet searches suggested. Kinda stuck. My system is old yes, but does what I need and is pretty robust for an old clunker. I just want to be able to edit videos and such, which is why I purchased the K80. Thoughts?

Thanks!

On 9/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, ntbarone said:

Also, my BIOS is pretty old and does not show the option to enable "Above 4G decoding".

You won't be able to use it then. The K80 requires this to run properly.

elephants

Am I doing this wrong? Actually I know I'm doing it wrong lol. Please help!

error 1.PNG

list of GPU's in CM.PNG

6 minutes ago, gmcchamp99 said:

Am I doing this wrong? Actually I know I'm doing it wrong lol. Please help!

error 1.PNG

list of GPU's in CM.PNG

card shows up.PNG

I followed this guide but my pc crashes and refuses to boot until i uninstall the nvidia driver through Windows Safe Mode. In safe Mode i can see there are no issues with both gpu's. They are clearly listed in DevMgr without errors.

My specs:

Win10 Enterprise x64 (22H2)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Ram: 16.0 GB 2x 8gb Crucial

Gigabyte B250M-D3H

Mining: Enabled

Above 4G decoding: Enabled

Fastboot: Disabled

DevMgr display shows: Large Memory

Edited by joslohan

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I have went though every correctly and when I restarted windows after the cmd part I get the windows loading screen then after that no display at all out of my normal gpu or my igpu any ideas this is kinda odd for me might I have done something wrong?