Moca adapter not working, but is working?

DotzHyper
Go to solution Solved by DotzHyper,
33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Still the IP address your using is not valid with the network you have. Comcast uses the 10.0.0.x addressing. So you will have to change to that. Secondly you need to make sure its outside the range of the DHCP server or you will have issues down the road. I dont have a Comcast gateway siting in front of me to know where all those settings are. But there somewheres. 

Given it still doesnt work with auto. Im going to guess its an issue with wiring. Ensure that what ever splitter your using is rated for Moca. While Non Moca splitters can work, it can cause interference from what I have heard. The easiest way to check if your wiring is good is to either connect a Cable box or the gateway to that line. If they work, then you know its good, if they dont, well that means that wall outlet is not connected to anything. The issue is Apartment comprelexe dont run Coax "Properly", so some times you have to do some digging. 

Yeah, it works fine on my tv in the living room. It must be some terrible wiring, the moca led doesn't light up in my room I didn't even notice it.

So I just took the Moca adapter (2.5 by translite) out of the box. I set my computer's ip and am connecting fine to the admin. Also, I can ping the ip and get great results. The troubleshooter said that the default gateway I put was not valid, I have it as what it was before changing my ipv4. 10.0.0.1

I am now using cloudflare dns since i needed a manual 

subnet mask was auto

The adapter's lan indicator flashes like there's power but not a solid connection. Windows is saying that there is an "unidentified network". How do I fix this? or how do I find the gateway that I should be using?

52 minutes ago, DotzHyper said:

So I just took the Moca adapter (2.5 by translite) out of the box. I set my computer's ip and am connecting fine to the admin. Also, I can ping the ip and get great results. The troubleshooter said that the default gateway I put was not valid, I have it as what it was before changing my ipv4. 10.0.0.1

I am now using cloudflare dns since i needed a manual 

subnet mask was auto 255.255.255.0

The adapter's lan indicator flashes like there's power but not a solid connection. Windows is saying that there is an "unidentified network". How do I fix this? or how do I find the gateway that I should be using?

Your default gateway is the address to your router. IP address info should be handed out by your routers DHCP server. 

Also you said you took the Adapter out of the box, as in one? Generally you would need one connected to the router as well. Some times all in one modem/routers will support Moca but thats up to the ISP/up to the hardware manufacture. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Your default gateway is the address to your router. IP address info should be handed out by your routers DHCP server. 

Also you said you took the Adapter out of the box, as in one? Generally you would need one connected to the router as well. Some times all in one modem/routers will support Moca but thats up to the ISP/up to the hardware manufacture. 

My router has moca supported.

6 minutes ago, DotzHyper said:

My router has moca supported.

What router do you have? 

2 minutes ago, DotzHyper said:

it's an xfinity router. Don't know the model but it looks like this and I think it is this one

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/6/21035595/comcast-wifi-6-new-router-gateway-xfi-advanced-security-ces-2020

Ah Xfinity. I have them as my ISP. 

From a little digging it seems you might need to enable the feature. The last time I dug thru an Xfinity gateway when setting up my aunts service I noticed that some features and settings can only be set via one of their Apps or online. Just ensure that the feature is enabled. 

Found this on the Xfinity forums: 

@BroncoTrader  In order for MoCA to work in your home, the coaxial cabling must be network in a "Home Run" method as suggested by the MoCAlliance. Refer to this link for best practices http://mocalliance.businesscatalyst.com/technology/Final_Best-Practices-for-Installation-of-MoCA_170516rev01.pdf.

Try the following 2 steps 

1.  Find the point of entry for your Comcast service and exam the coaxial wirings to the rooms.  It is usually in the garage, basement or attic.   If all the coaxial wires are routed through a coax splitter then that's a good start.  You may buy/borrow a coax test tracer and trace the signal between the 2 points in the house.
  2.  Make sure the coax splitter used is MoCA compatible.  That is the frequency supported should support MoCA range from 1125 - 1525 MHz.  

The adapter should communicate directly with Xfinity Gateway with MoCA or the other MoCA adapter in the house if all the coaxial wires are linked.

Its at least a place to start. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ah Xfinity. I have them as my ISP. 

From a little digging it seems you might need to enable the feature. The last time I dug thru an Xfinity gateway when setting up my aunts service I noticed that some features and settings can only be set via one of their Apps or online. Just ensure that the feature is enabled. 

Found this on the Xfinity forums: 

Its at least a place to start. 

Do you think I need one of those 10$ moca poe filters?

Just now, DotzHyper said:

Do you think I need one of those 10$ moca poe filters?

It does help reflect the signal back in to your home and stops your signal from going out to Comcast network. Technically you should have one if you're using MoCA.

But even without it, it should connect. Id first verify that Moca is enabled on their gateway. Check to make sure your coax is connected correctly as well. To me if its not connecting it almost sounds like the coax is not on the same splitter. OR you have too long of a run, as 300 feet I think is the max range Moca can go. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It does help reflect the signal back in to your home and stops your signal from going out to Comcast network. Technically you should have one if you're using MoCA.

But even without it, it should connect. Id first verify that Moca is enabled on their gateway. Check to make sure your coax is connected correctly as well. To me if its not connecting it almost sounds like the coax is not on the same splitter. OR you have too long of a run, as 300 feet I think is the max range Moca can go. 

It's an apartment, should't be that. I think the only way is that it isn't on to be honest. The coax signal is strong  on my translite moca adapter in my room, just not the wifi. 

Just now, DotzHyper said:

It's an apartment, should't be that. I think the only way is that it isn't on to be honest. The coax signal is strong  on my translite moca adapter in my room, just not the wifi. 

Yeah apartment complexes run Coax all the wrong way. My aunt has a coax that leads from the master bedroom, thru a second bedroom, all the way in to the living room where the main coax is. And you would use a splitter to provider video services to the master bedroom. It was pretty dumb. 

But the fact is you never know in an apartment. You could try the MoCA filter but if the adapter is not connecting to the Comcast gateway its either the wiring is not right or the settings in the gateway are wrong. Not sure if the adapter has settings but the Comcast gateway doesnt support anything above Moca 2.0, so if there is a setting for setting that, that could be it as well. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Yeah apartment complexes run Coax all the wrong way. My aunt has a coax that leads from the master bedroom, thru a second bedroom, all the way in to the living room where the main coax is. And you would use a splitter to provider video services to the master bedroom. It was pretty dumb. 

But the fact is you never know in an apartment. You could try the MoCA filter but if the adapter is not connecting to the Comcast gateway its either the wiring is not right or the settings in the gateway are wrong. Not sure if the adapter has settings but the Comcast gateway doesnt support anything above Moca 2.0, so if there is a setting for setting that, that could be it as well. 

Where can I find these settings you're talking about? I don't see them on the xfi app.

4 minutes ago, DotzHyper said:

Where can I find these settings you're talking about? I don't see them on the xfi app.

You might have to log directly in to the gateway thru a web browser. See the issue is I dont use Xfinity's shitty gateways, I refuse to let my family give them another $156 a year in rental fees. If you cant find the settings call Xfinity, they have a back door in to that gateway, they should be able to flip any setting you need. Granted the CSR might not know what Moca is, but its worth a shot. 

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You might have to log directly in to the gateway thru a web browser. See the issue is I dont use Xfinity's shitty gateways, I refuse to let my family give them another $156 a year in rental fees. If you cant find the settings call Xfinity, they have a back door in to that gateway, they should be able to flip any setting you need. Granted the CSR might not know what Moca is, but its worth a shot. 

trying to log into the gateway, the username is admin, right? and is the password my xfinity password? because that isn't working.

trying to log into the gateway, the username is admin, right? and is the password my xfinity password? because that isn't working.

I think its admin with the password being password. Unless you changed it. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

got it, thank you. Let's see if I can find it.

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You were right, I just need to find where I actually turn it on.

mocaoffugh.PNG

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So it is now on for my network, and I did restart it. I still don't have my ethernet working, though. I know we are so close.

So it is now on for my network, and I did restart it. I still don't have my ethernet working, though. I know we are so close.

Id try to reboot the adapter and maybe your computer. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Did both of those, the adapter I did multiple times. I'll show you what the windows diagnostic tool says

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

When I put in the IP:

windows diagnostic:

I tried restarting the router as well. I tried all of those besides contacting

Not sure what the ip message means entirely, though

edit: the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, i thought I needed to hide that

moca1.PNG

Moca2.PNG

1 minute ago, DotzHyper said:

When I put in the IP:

windows diagnostic:

I tried restarting the router as well. I tried all of those besides contacting

Not sure what the ip message means entirely, though

moca1.PNG

Moca2.PNG

Set it to obtain the IP address automatically. Comcast doesnt use the 192.168.1.x addressing on their gateways its the 10.0.0.x that they use. Just let the Comcast gateway handle DHCP, its much easier. You NEVER set a static address unless you know how the DHCP server is set up. Because you NEVER use an IP address that is within the range of the DHCP server as you could then have two devices with the same IP which will cause a conflict. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Set it to obtain the IP address automatically. Comcast doesnt use the 192.168.1.x addressing on their gateways its the 10.0.0.x that they use. Just let the Comcast gateway handle DHCP, its much easier. You NEVER set a static address unless you know how the DHCP server is set up. Because you NEVER use an IP address that is within the range of the DHCP server as you could then have two devices with the same IP which will cause a conflict. 

With auto it doesn't work either, the moca device told me to use it so i tried again while taking that screenshot. I'll put it back but it still doesn't work

the default gateway is not available. (with the moca ip)

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP config  (auto)

18 minutes ago, DotzHyper said:

With auto it doesn't work either, the moca device told me to use it so i tried again while taking that screenshot. I'll put it back but it still doesn't work

the default gateway is not available. (with the moca ip)

"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP config  (auto)

Still the IP address your using is not valid with the network you have. Comcast uses the 10.0.0.x addressing. So you will have to change to that. Secondly you need to make sure its outside the range of the DHCP server or you will have issues down the road. I dont have a Comcast gateway siting in front of me to know where all those settings are. But there somewheres. 

Given it still doesnt work with auto. Im going to guess its an issue with wiring. Ensure that what ever splitter your using is rated for Moca. While Non Moca splitters can work, it can cause interference from what I have heard. The easiest way to check if your wiring is good is to either connect a Cable box or the gateway to that line. If they work, then you know its good, if they dont, well that means that wall outlet is not connected to anything. The issue is Apartment comprelexe dont run Coax "Properly", so some times you have to do some digging. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, it works fine on my tv in the living room. It must be some terrible wiring, the moca led doesn't light up in my room I didn't even notice it.