Folding - GPU Usage at 100%? Unable to reduce at all

So I have finally taken the plunge and last night I was going to leave my PC working away but when I ran a few tests my GPU was making out which is not what I wanted.

So I'll explain a little. I wanted to leave the PC working away constantly, and especially at night, but I wont want it maxed out. I just wont want my PC's GPU and CPU maxed constantly for long periods of time as it will take away from the overall life of the PC and I was thinking that 50-60% would be fine. 

So when I tried changing settings to achieve some sort of setting that did not max everything out I could not. I can get the CPU top stay around 50-60% but my GPU maxes out no mater what I do.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Ethnod
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

First of all what are you doing? Mining folding etc?

Interested in Business and Technology

Sorry, Folding lol DOH!

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I don't know anything bout that sorry :/ only mining here

Interested in Business and Technology

GPU folding is either 100% or nothing. But as long as your temps are good and have good ventilation then it should be fine.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

When your slider is on Medium or Light your CPU well run a bit lower, allowing you to use your system normal and leave the GPU disabled for folding. When your system goes Idle - the CPU ramp to 100% and the GPU starts. Now, as long as you are not running any serious overclocks and temps, you are ok, you won't seriously affect your system.

If you wonder what you temps might be - put the slider at Full and observe for a few hours...

Now, consider - most of the cores today are made to last years under normal use. And I mean years. Under 100% load I would still expect them to last many years. Well beyond the time you will be looking to upgrade. The main things that kill a core isn't so much 100% utilization but heat and voltage. Running at 10% utilization but at 1.6V will kill a CPU super fast. :)

So, if you have a mild to no overclock and able to adequately manage temps, you really shouldn't have any issues for some time...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

what i did is underclock my gpu like 10% to control temps because after 2-3 hours it would get toasty it still runs at 100% but not as hot which helps.

@Whaler_99

Thanks for replying man, appreciate the info. I think I'll keep doing it from time to time but nothing like constant for the moment. I'm looking to upgrade this case (turn it in to a Positive Air Pressured case) and either upgrade the cooling or get a new PC. When I do that I'll probably either left with 1 or 2 servers and I'll probably leave them running 24/7 when I do (on idle that is :D)

For the moment I think I'll just have it running idle low when its being left on already for something else, until I get the air pressure sorted so I am happy with temps ans so on.

But its good work and well worth doing so you will see more from me 

@Whaler_99

Thanks for replying man, appreciate the info. I think I'll keep doing it from time to time but nothing like constant for the moment. I'm looking to upgrade this case (turn it in to a Positive Air Pressured case) and either upgrade the cooling or get a new PC. When I do that I'll probably either left with 1 or 2 servers and I'll probably leave them running 24/7 when I do (on idle that is :D)

For the moment I think I'll just have it running idle low when its being left on already for something else, until I get the air pressure sorted so I am happy with temps ans so on.

But its good work and well worth doing so you will see more from me 

Sounds good and looking forward to it!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99