Planning build

Go to solution Solved by Tech87,

I think the MSI B550-A PRO ATX is a nice board. Just make sure it has all the inputs/outputs you need

I wouldn't worry about having your storage as nvme, just your main boot drive. General sata SSD is still a nice selection for storage.

Get as much space as you think you would need, keeping in mind modern games can eat up 50GB a piece.

Budget (including currency): $1850

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s9XzcT

im new at building pc so i was wondering if i pick compatible parts and the best ones for my budget

Just now, Tech87 said:

What's the main use case going to be?

gaming and basic editing 

There's a chance that B450 motherboard isn't going to support the ryzen 5600x out of the box.

You're better off to go with the newer B550 chipset to be safe.

Also, I'd exchange the main WD Blue drive for an NVME drive. They give a nice performance boost, and are usually only a small bit more.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

The 5600x is a nice CPU for gaming, but doesn't perform quite so well on multi-threaded tasks due to its limited 6 cores.

I just put a system together with a 5600x, and it's performing great for me, but just wanted to mentioned that.

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

The 5600x is a nice CPU for gaming, but doesn't perform quite so well on multi-threaded tasks due to its limited 6 cores.

I just put a system together with a 5600x, and it's performing great for me, but just wanted to mentioned that.

do you have any recommendations for a NVME drive?

If you're going to stick with the B450 chipset, I would say the Western Digital SN750 is a nice choice, and if you're going B550, you can take advantage of the PCIE Gen 4 with a Samsung 970/980 Evo Pro/Plus. [Whichever is the best deal]

A good tip with the B450 boards is that if they have 'max' in the name, then they typically support the newer Ryzen 5000 series.

Otherwise you will want to make sure the box has it explicitly labeled to support the Ryzen 5000 series.

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

A good tip with the B450 boards is that if they have 'max' in the name, then they typically support the newer Ryzen 5000 series.

Otherwise you will want to make sure the box has it explicitly labeled to support the Ryzen 5000 series.

what about the MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard

also how much storage

8 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

If you're going to stick with the B450 chipset, I would say the Western Digital SN750 is a nice choice, and if you're going B550, you can take advantage of the PCIE Gen 4 with a Samsung 970/980 Evo Pro/Plus. [Whichever is the best deal]

should i get in the samsung 970/980 m.2

I should be a little more clear.

The B450 boards will support the newer Ryzen 5000 series chips, but in some cases, a bios update will be needed, and if that's the case, then you would need a ryzen 3000 series cpu or older to update the system.

1 minute ago, Tech87 said:

I should be a little more clear.

The B450 boards will support the newer Ryzen 5000 series chips, but in some cases, a bios update will be needed, and if that's the case, then you would need a ryzen 3000 series cpu or older to update the system.

yes i understand that, but i picked a replacement Motherboard MSI B550-A PRO ATX and i was wondering if thats a good replacement instead of the Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard, also how much storage would i need for the NVME if it were to be the samsung 970 evo plus?

I think the MSI B550-A PRO ATX is a nice board. Just make sure it has all the inputs/outputs you need

I wouldn't worry about having your storage as nvme, just your main boot drive. General sata SSD is still a nice selection for storage.

Get as much space as you think you would need, keeping in mind modern games can eat up 50GB a piece.

2 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

oh, ok so 250 GB would be a solid ground for the NVME and 1 TB from the other samsung SSD

13 minutes ago, Jose cardona said:

also how much storage

should i get in the samsung 970/980 m.2

I'm a big fan of the Samsung drives for their great performance, and class leading warranty.

The 980 is a little faster, but both are great.

4 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

I'm a big fan of the Samsung drives for their great performance, and class leading warranty.

The 980 is a little faster, but both are great.

oh ok thank you for your support!