3080 FE VRAM Temp

SDSchlager

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or if there is a thread already for this. I recently have been checking out my 3080's temps as I heard they have major temperature issues. I noticed that just at the title screen of the new Resident Evil game I'm hitting VRAM temps of 100 degrees, I was wondering if the forum would recommend trying the thermal pad mod fix or if temps below 110 for extended periods of time (8-12 hours) is nothing to worry about like NVIDIA has told me.

If the mod seems to be the way to go I was looking at 2 packages of Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x2mm and one of Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x3mm. I'm just a little hesitant as these cards aren't cheap and I haven't done this before.

With what these cards are worth, i'm going to keep my piece of mind with an untouched card and just let Nvidia replace it for me if there is a problem. No way i'm going near it with a screwdriver. (3090 FE here)

5 minutes ago, rickeo said:

With what these cards are worth, i'm going to keep my piece of mind with an untouched card and just let Nvidia replace it for me if there is a problem. No way i'm going near it with a screwdriver. (3090 FE here)

That's kind of where I am at right now too these things aren't cheap by any means if you can even find them.

29 minutes ago, rickeo said:

just let Nvidia replace it for me

If you're talking about RMA, you're not getting your card back

I think no one I know have gotten a 3000 series GPU back after trying to RMA it, all they get is a refund and the manufacturer turns and sell it at a higher amount because the price of gpu are still rising

As for OP, any OC on the VRAM? Every 100-200 MHz raises the temp by 2c from my experience

You may also try undervolting the card by reducing power limit, but that would hurt your performance slightly

I really wouldn't worry about it unless it's hitting 110c and throttling, ride out the waves of gpu scarcity before you attempt to re-pad your GPU

I broke my fan connector on my 3090 gigabyte while re-padding it, I fixed it though

It does drop the temp by 20c in my case with the exact pad you're looking at, but I'm risking $3000 here lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

If you're talking about RMA, you're not getting your card back

I think no one I know have gotten a 3000 series GPU back after trying to RMA it, ask they get is a refund and the manufacturer turns and sell it at a higher amount because the price of gpu are still rising

As for OP, any OC on the VRAM? Every 100-200 MHz raises the temp by 2c from my experience

You may also try undervolting the card by reducing power limit, but that would hurt your performance slightly

I really wouldn't worry about it unless it's hitting 110c and throttling, ride out the waves of gpu scarcity before you attempt to re-pad your GPU

I broke my fan connector on my 3090 gigabyte while re-padding it, I fixed it though

It does drop the temp by 20c in my case with the exact pad you're looking at, but I'm risking $3000 here lol

Yea, I've been kicking it around in my head all day and kind of figured it's not worth risking the card as long as I'm not throttling, at least until things settle down market wise.

57 minutes ago, SDSchlager said:

Yea, I've been kicking it around in my head all day and kind of figured it's not worth risking the card as long as I'm not throttling, at least until things settle down market wise.

I would say if it aren't comfortable with doing it, not to worry. They are high but are allegedly okay. 

I have the 3090 fe and had the same concern. I was very concerned with those temps though and did it anyway as I didn't want it going dead due to thermals either.  I am typically very comfortable doing that and it still makes me nervous. The thermal pad mod does help though. Dropped a good amount, but water cooling did much better. 

6 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

I would say if it aren't comfortable with doing it, not to worry. They are high but are allegedly okay. 

I have the 3090 fe and had the same concern. I was very concerned with those temps though and did it anyway as I didn't want it going dead due to thermals either.  I am typically very comfortable doing that and it still makes me nervous. The thermal pad mod does help though. Dropped a good amount, but water cooling did much better. 

my only reservation is how hard they are to come by right now, makes it hard for me to feel confidant rolling the dice on it

13 hours ago, SDSchlager said:

my only reservation is how hard they are to come by right now, makes it hard for me to feel confidant rolling the dice on it

Oh I get it. That was my same reasoning for doing it. I heard of a few unlucky people that their card failed and instead of getting a replacement or a fix, they were just refunded the purchase price. But yeah, I get it.