Platform upgrade while I wait for GPUs

Budget (including currency): £350 - selling some flight sim gear to fund this, so budget is speculative right now

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Resident Evil (RE Engine games inc Village), Warzone. Would like to stream occasionally.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Currently got a stock speed 4770k, 16GB DDR3 and a lightly OC'ed GTX 980.

Been looking at a Ryzen 3600, Gigabyte B550M DS3H motherboard & 16GB of Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 - I'm only really looking to continue gaming at 1080p/60fps for the next year or so until I can get some cash together for a GPU (if they're even available in a year) and even then, I don't have any plans to upgrade to anything beyond 1440p. Any thoughts on this? I've mentioned before I have a little one on the way, so going higher end isn't really an option just now!

Thanks!

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

If you wish to save the money, for 1080p60 gaming then the 2600X will still be a good choice. IDK about RE Village, and you will probably be loading the CPU heavily in warzone, but you can also save and get a B450 board too. Your choice of three items aren't a bad choice for that budget, but do you currently have an SSD you are using? Because I would downgrade to a 2600X and B450 and use 50-60 dollars to upgrade to an DRAM-less NVMe drive. My WD SN550 1TB cost me $55 in the States and is has been wonderful. Again, only if you don't already have a SSD of 512GB or bigger. Because Warzone alone will fill the entirety of a 128GB SSD. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

I currently have three SSDs in my system - a 120GB Samsung 840 Evo as my boot/system drive, a 240GB 840 Evo and a 500GB WD Blue as my main drives for gams, alongside a 2TB Barracuda for storage. 

My thinking behind a B550 board was to allow for easy upgrade to a 5000-series chip in 12-18 months (or so)... but I suppose if I had a 2600X I could easily update the board to allow for that. Speaking of the 2600X, how much of an improvement do you think I'm likely to see over the 4770k?

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

10 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

The budget king right now for price/performance is the Intel 11400.

The tricky thing is finding an affordable motherboard that doesn't suck. (Known VRM thermal issues)

That's a good point - any recommendations within £350 or so?

I know the b560 tomahawk works fine and so does the gigabyte b560m aorus pro.

Outside those two boards, I'm not sure.

I do know that there are several or more b560 boards that will reduce clocks speeds by up to 30% causing significant performance loss.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Sorry - the £350 budget is for the CPU/board/memory combined. Those boards are both out of my budget a bit!

There's always the option to go all out AMD: the APU version of the 3600 is the Ryzen7 Pro 4750G, which can be found on the web for about 300-350 quid. The cheaper option is the Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G, which in the same shop changes hands for a "mere"  200x 1 GBP coins. Even Linus considers the AMD APU's to keep their value longer and higher after the GPU market has cooled down.

Spoiler

I bought from this shop, good price, fast delivery as advertised, friendly&helpful replies, CPU was as advertised (AMD FM2+ A10 Pro series). I'd buy there again should the opportunity arise)

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Appreciate the suggestion - but again those options are likely to be outside my budget once a motherboard and RAM are thrown into the mix!

Okay so my budget has increased slightly - and I think I can grab a 5600X instead of a 3600!