Deciding to upgrade.

Budget (including currency): 200-350$ CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming , Streaming , School work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Processor:

Intel Core i3 2100

Motherboard:

Gigabyte tech

H61M-D2P-B3

DDR3 8GB

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti

750W Coolmaster Masterwatt

Asus VE247 Monitor

so i recently had my old PSU shoot sparks out of it and replaced it with the new one luckily nothing was damaged. but ive been meaning to upgrade so any suggestions would be great , im looking at wanting to upgrade my GPU , and possibly what else i could upgrade. looking for budget to like 350 range

since you have a working lga 1155 motherboards you can probably get a pretty cheap i5 2500k or that generation's i7   and used 16 gigs of ddr3  and if you dont have one already, an ssd is nice to have as well. gpu wise. I would look out for a used 1050ti, or 1060 6gb  when prices finally drop to normal. I would not pay for than $100 for a 1050ti nor would I pay more than $150 on a used 1060 but Im coming from a different position where I can choose. 

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

since you have a working lga 1155 motherboards you can probably get a pretty cheap i5 2500k or that generation's i7   and used 16 gigs of ddr3  and if you dont have one already, an ssd is nice to have as well. gpu wise. I would look out for a used 1050ti, or 1060 6gb  when prices finally drop to normal. I would not pay for than $100 for a 1050ti nor would I pay more than $150 on a used 1060 but Im coming from a different position where I can choose. 

Sorry im very basic on my knowledge of parts , would the i7 be the motherboard or processor chip? And would that be compatible with my current motherboard? Currently it has two slots for ram and its split between 2 4gb cards also if i do upgrade to a i5 9400+ would i need to upgrade the ram as well or would it still run?

1 hour ago, Blackraaine said:

would the i7 be the motherboard or processor chip

that would be the processor and a i7 2700 or 2700k should be compatible with your motherboard. if you look at kijiji or facebook marketpklce you can find old chip for pretty cheap and would be a decent boost compared to your current i3. if you want i5 9400+ you would need to upgreade your platform entirel meaning new ram and motherboard. and you would need the specifc compatible motherboard as well. for your budget I was suggesting upgrading your cpu specifically to chips comapatible with your motherboard. it should be compatible with chips that are compatible with LGA 1155, I was also suggesting 16 gigabytes of ddr3 RAM but honestly the biggest boost your gonna get is getting an i7 and the rest the best gPU you can afford. which right now is probably a gtx 970, and possinbly a 1060/1050ti but the new and used market is godawful right now

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

that would be the processor and a i7 2700 or 2700k should be compatible with your motherboard. if you look at kijiji or facebook marketpklce you can find old chip for pretty cheap and would be a decent boost compared to your current i3. if you want i5 9400+ you would need to upgreade your platform entirel meaning new ram and motherboard. and you would need the specifc compatible motherboard as well. for your budget I was suggesting upgrading your cpu specifically to chips comapatible with your motherboard. it should be compatible with chips that are compatible with LGA 1155, I was also suggesting 16 gigabytes of ddr3 RAM but honestly the biggest boost your gonna get is getting an i7 and the rest the best gPU you can afford. which right now is probably a gtx 970, and possinbly a 1060/1050ti but the new and used market is godawful right now

ok , i was thinking of the i7 2600 and the gtx 1060ti

28 minutes ago, Blackraaine said:

ok , i was thinking of the i7 2600 and the gtx 1060ti

that's definitely a noticeable upgrade over your i3 and 750ti.

Just curious here as well if i wanted to step up my pc what type of motherboard would you suggest or would buying a prebuilt be better? I bought this base kit a really long time ago and gradually upgraded it.

In order to recommend a motherboard, we need to know what processor will go on it. You can't put any processor on any motherboard, the two need to be compatible. That's why you usually start by choosing a CPU for a new build, and then you pick a motherboard that will be compatible with that processor. Getting a prebuilt PC is a good option if you don't know much about compatibility and such. But doing it yourself might teach you a lot too. It depends on how much time and money you want to invest into it.

Also if i were to go to get a gtx 1060(K) would they all be compatible? / the ram be able to switch from ddr3 or am i restricted to a gpu thats ddr3 compatible?