My Thinkpad T440p is refusing to boot from my SSD since I installed another OS on a testing drive

LloydLynx
Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

I ended up having to reinstall GRUB to /dev/sda using the Debian rescue media. I kinda think this laptop uses some sort of key system for operating systems that causes this behavior, even though secure boot is disabled, but I don't know for sure. It boots up fine now, and I have this thread for future reference for myself or anyone else.

I'd still like to know for sure why my Thinkpad screwed up after booting another OS. If anyone knows why it did, please say.

My SSD has Debian 10 on it. I took out my SSD and put in a spare HDD so I could install and play with another OS. When I was done, I removed the HDD and put back the SSD. Now it's refusing to boot from the SSD. Selecting the SSD from the boot devices screen blanks the screen then kicks me right back to the boot devices screen. I've tried playing around with boot order, messing with UEFI vs Legacy, deleting the "debian" entry from the UEFI list, and resetting the BIOS. I had initially installed Debian on the SSD as UEFI with secure boot disabled and it's stayed disabled this whole time.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I ended up having to reinstall GRUB to /dev/sda using the Debian rescue media. I kinda think this laptop uses some sort of key system for operating systems that causes this behavior, even though secure boot is disabled, but I don't know for sure. It boots up fine now, and I have this thread for future reference for myself or anyone else.

I'd still like to know for sure why my Thinkpad screwed up after booting another OS. If anyone knows why it did, please say.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain