Port Forwarding for Minecraft

papiinaction

So ive setup my minecraft server but port forwarding is giving me an issue so our network uses the isp provided router and then an orbi mesh network i have tried forwarding the port on the orbi and then portforward on the isp router with the orbi ip address it still doesnt work and yes it in the operating system the port that its on is allowed though the firewall both tcp and udp

Since you didnt explain, id assume You are running Stock MC or Spigot in a CMD Window on Windows 10? And You have Allowed these Ports to go through Completely in Windows Firewall and in Your Router? 

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

To recap this is your set-up:

Internet -> ISP router ( port 25565 to ORBI IP on port 25565) -> ORBI (port 25565 to your machine IP on port 25565) on both TCP and UDP?

This looks fine to me, so I would look into the firewall like LamoidZobieDog suggested.

But yeah, with the little information given, we can only make guesses about what might be the issue.

To debug this, I would suggest you to try connecting step by step. First see if you can access the server localy in the first place, if it does then try to connect another machine to your ORBI network and see if you can connect to your minecraft server, if yes then you know your server is running properly. Then you connect your machine to your ISP router, and try to access your server by using the ORBI ip. If it works, then the ORBI is configured properly. Lastly, ask a friend to connect to your public IP to your server, if he is still unable to connect to you, then there might be an issue on your router configuration itself or with your ISP. Some ISP uses double NAT due to the IPv4 shortages, and thus in order to have a server, you would need to contact your ISP to ask them to port forward their NAT. (Which might not be possible, due to policy reasons...?). If the latter is true, then there is not a lot you can do, and might have to resort to solutions such as hamachi...

What you also can try is using IPv6 if your ISP supports it. Then you only need to allow incoming traffic on both routers on port 25565. Then use the IPv6 global address of your minecraft machine to connect to. However I'm not familiar with Windows at all, so you might have to look it up.

Thank you both, I got the port forward working, I'm using MineOS to run my minecraft server but every time I connect to the web ui via local ip address my whole internet connection goes until I close the tab anyone knows what could cause this.

Try launching a ping to 1.1.1.1 in a terminal to see if you keep your internet connection while you connect to your UI server.

There are only 2 reasons I can think of. The first one, is that the UI is pretty heavy on your computer (together with your minecraft running I assume). And thus you get the impressions that your computer cannot connect to other services on the internet as the loading of pages are really slow. However, if you wait long enough they should appear in the end.

The other reason, I thought of, (but unlikely). If you are accessing the UI from another computer, and that the page is constantly sending new information. Like a video stream for example. Then you might saturate your home network and thus not being able to access other websites at the same time. If that is the case, then look if you can still use your home network with another device (your phone for example). If your network is saturated, you shouldn't be able to connect to the internet either, or at least really slowly.

In the website itself, look at the console (using inspect element) to look at the traffic generated by the page itself. (Or also using hardware monitors to look at the CPU usage, and internet access as well.) Another tool is wireshark, where you can sniff all packets on your network. So you can see what type of information might saturate your network.

I don't personally know anything about MineOS, so I am afraid I cannot help a lot more than that. (If it is a problem related to the distro.) I have run some servers before, but I usually just run the java jar-file through command line. Which for a small server of 4/5 people is enough I think :). (You could even automate the whole process running everything in docker, if your technically inclined ;) ) Maybe this MineOS distro is a bit too aggressive on network optimization etc...?

I uninstalled MineOS and made a script to do what I was using MineOS to do I was just lazy and tried to take the easy way out. What I was reading on forums is that is has a lot of problems so I just went back to Debian.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i dont know anything about MineOS other then its the "easy" way to do it and allows for less control. personally i prefer a Spigot CMD window in windows 10. allows for Easy Access to everything and you can still Manage basically Anything you want. i dont Dev anymore but i did for Over 5 Years. 

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!