Verified Actual Datahoarders when?

Zerrymause

With Chia likely driving up storage costs, when will there be a program to get MSRP high capacity drives into the hands of verified actual datahoarders?

Taking guesses.

There's nothing stopping someone from using Windows 7 without the internet, besides the one-time license check. You can even download update KB packages from Microsoft and install them offline still. Windows 8/10/11 might be useless without internet, but Windows 7 and Vista aren't. They're actually pretty great offline gaming OS, very stable and performant for period games that are obtainable without DRM.

Maybe once there's an actual shortage? Hard drives are available at the same prices as always here.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

3 minutes ago, Zerrymause said:

With Chia likely driving up storage costs

Damn chia plants!

Verified Actual Gamer Information might have some information about drives

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

I've been monitoring it for the last few weeks (because I was planning on doing a big system upgrade coming weeks) and here in the Netherlands prices have gone up, but not a lot.
Just a few euro's (€3 - €7) per item so far.

Also Ryzen tends to stay a bit more available over here than I see happening in the US.
GPU's and stuff like Intel NUC's is still a nightmare though.

Building and repairing PC's for many years / Previous head of Apple Repair Center Team NL /

Audio Engineer / Daily Driving Linux since my parents basement

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professional Purposes and on the go: MacBook Pro Retina 15" / Apple Mac Mini 2019 (i7)
Flight Simulation / Gaming / Daily: Self built [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 32GB DDR4 3200 / GTX 1660 OC / Windows 10 Pro / Fedora KDE (dual boot)

Plex Media Server + Home Assistant: Intel NUC

Data Server: i7 860 / 24GB DDR3 / 10TB / unRAID
Mobile: OnePlus Nord 2 / Lenovo IdeaPad Duet / Apple iPad Air 1

57 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Maybe once there's an actual shortage? Hard drives are available at the same prices as always here.

All the external hard drives on Bestbuy Canada has already gone up by $80 and on backorder.

Back in 2011-2012 when Thailand was flooded and HDD factories seized operation, it took about a week for the storage prices to explode with 300%+. Whatever happens though we won't be on the same page as the GPU shortage. Storage in general is a much cheaper product than a GPU. You might not like the price compared to the current or previous prices, but you will be able to afford one. I doubt there will be some this stupid to try and scalp HDDs and SSD to sell for $1000+. We might see 2 and 3 times price increase, which will make $100 drive into a $300 one and there won't be a HDD for less than $100, but it's not as bad as the GPU costing more than the rest of the system. Plus we are heading for another crypto crash in few months, so there will be A TON of cheap, used GPUs once again.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |