Cant enable 144hz, HDR or Freesync on new monitor

Hi,

Recently I purchased the Gigabyte G32QC 32inch 165hz monitor with HDR. On my pc I am unable to go above 120hz in windows (only shows 60hz and 120hz), there is no ability to turn on HDR in windows and cannot enable freesync in the Radeon Software. 

My video card is old: Sapphire Vapor X R9 280x but it is connected via display port with the cable that came in the box. The video card has DP v1.2.

As far as I can see, there is no ability to change the refresh rate or HDR directly on my monitor. I can enable freesync directly on the monitor but not in my Radeon Software. I can attempt to force a custom refresh rate in the Radeon Software but it doesnt always work states there was a problem or its not supported.

I am really confused as everything would indicate that I can use 144hz and above. I know the card does not have the power to run games at 144-165FPS but at least the refresh rate should be able to be selected in windows.

This is the manual for my monitor: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/GIGABYTE_G32QC_UM_English_1.00.pdf

The only thing I can think of is that its something to do with the age of my card or maybe the quality of DP cable that came in the box? What do you think it could be?

Windows 10 64bit.

Asus Sabertooth Z97 MK2 motherboard

Intel i7 4790k

Sapphire Vapor X R9 280x with latest Radeon drivers installed.

16gb Ram

Please see screenshots. Grateful for your help.

120hz.JPG

hdr.JPG

freesync.JPG

At 10bit color, DP 1.2 can only drive up to 1440p@120Hz. 1440p@165Hz is only possible with 8bit. Since the monitor is 10bit, you're stuck at 120Hz.

HDR isn't supported at all until DP 1.4 and up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

8 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

At 10bit color, DP 1.2 can only drive up to 1440p@120Hz. 1440p@165Hz is only possible with 8bit. Since the monitor is 10bit, you're stuck at 120Hz.

HDR isn't supported at all until DP 1.4 and up.

Thanks for the info, well I just switched to 8 bit in the Radeon software and still only get 120hz, is it still because the gpu has DP 1.2 and the monitor is designed to be 10bit even though I changed it to 8bit in the software?

And good to know about HDR will need to wait to I can get my hands on a new GPU.

10 minutes ago, Slaydin said:

Thanks for the info, well I just switched to 8 bit in the Radeon software and still only get 120hz, is it still because the gpu has DP 1.2 and the monitor is designed to be 10bit even though I changed it to 8bit in the software?

And good to know about HDR will need to wait to I can get my hands on a new GPU.

Can't say for sure, but I would imagine, yes. I think the signal is still going to be 10bit, because that's what the monitor expects. However, there might be some way still to make it work, but I don't know it.

That said, 10bit color is worth the trade. 120Hz is still a good refresh rate, and honestly already more than you're likely to be driving in anything but eSports titles. 8bit color tends to have ugly banding in gradients, so the image is going to look much better with 10bit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

25 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Can't say for sure, but I would imagine, yes. I think the signal is still going to be 10bit, because that's what the monitor expects. However, there might be some way still to make it work, but I don't know it.

That said, 10bit color is worth the trade. 120Hz is still a good refresh rate, and honestly already more than you're likely to be driving in anything but eSports titles. 8bit color tends to have ugly banding in gradients, so the image is going to look much better with 10bit.

Ah true, thanks for that. Im happy with 120 now until I get something like a 3080 in the future anyway.

It's just so strange as the monitor has display port 1.2 as well and is made to go upto 165hz so 8bit colour should be fine to also use as well HDR as it's supported.. even though hdr came after 1.2. All bit a confusing