What is Linux most user friendly and secure version

hello! 

I've been worried about my privacy recently even after I adjusted the privacy sittings it shows that System uses more than 18 GB each month even it reached 23 GB which is way to much, I've searched how to fix it and it didn't work . Also I have 8gb of ram and core i7 8th gen and  windows is taking a lot of my recourses I will upgrade my system ,but I believe it can serve me a bit longer I only use it for web programing and sometime for python(pycharm) but not much and reading pdf so I decided to move to Linux ,but I don't know which one is the easiest to use and the ones that can install program that doesn't support Linux  like acrobat pdf reader and rapid php my friend told me, ubuntu has a way that can install windows apps ,but he also told me that it keeps crashing and not so stable 

So can you help me to choose the right one for me.

Thanks 🌹

pasted-image-0-3.png

Linux Mint is an excellent bet. It's Ubuntu-based, but with a focus on stability and long-term support, and the Cinnamon desktop environment that it comes with is well laid out so should be easy for you to use coming from Windows.

Why do you need Adobe Reader anyway? Mint comes with a PDF reader built-in already.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Ubuntu and Manjaro are rather user friendly. I've never stuck with Linux for long, but those are two of the distros I've tried.

As for reading PDFs, there is definitely an alternative out there that is built specifically for Linux, so you don't need to worry about getting Acrobat over.

When it comes to Windows programs that don't run on Linux though, there's no good user-friendly option, aside from sticking with Windows, or using Windows in a VM. Wine can emulate Windows programs in Linux, but I was never able to get anything to install, even the programs that they listed as compatible.

As for hardware resources being taken, you could also consider upgrading to 16GB of RAM, as 8 is only really enough for casual use these days. Your system is likely very bloated if it is lagging on Windows, as 8GB RAM and an 8th gen i7 are still rather capable today. If your only issue is with hardware resources, consider reinstalling Windows or giving it a good clean, and then it will run much better. I was able to run Windows with zero issues on a 3rd gen i3, 4GB RAM and a slow HDD, so I wouldn't be surprised if your system is insanely bloated.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

9 minutes ago, ASUS ROG said:

hello! 

I've been worried about my privacy recently even after I adjusted the privacy sittings it shows that System uses more than 18 GB each month even it reached 23 GB which is way to much, I've searched how to fix it and it didn't work . Also I have 8gb of ram and core i7 8th gen and  windows is taking a lot of my recourses I will upgrade my system ,but I believe it can serve me a bit longer I only use it for web programing and sometime for python(pycharm) but not much and reading pdf so I decided to move to Linux ,but I don't know which one is the easiest to use and the ones that can install program that doesn't support Linux  like acrobat pdf reader and rapid php my friend told me, ubuntu has a way that can install windows apps ,but he also told me that it keeps crashing and not so stable 

Thanks 🌹

pasted-image-0-3.png

I'd try Debian stable branch and install Wine to add compatibility for some Windows apps, note that not all Windows apps will work on it and some that work might not be perfect. But it's got plenty of Linux friendly, open source alternatives to choose from if the Windows versions don't work and you will find the resource usage of Debian to be second to none, it's really lightweight and will make your PC last for years to come, though your PC is Windows capable when you strip away all of Microsoft's bloated rubbish, heck I run a system with 4GB RAM and an i5 8250U on Windows 10 and with the right optimisations it runs flawlessly. Debian is also what Ubuntu is based upon so most if not all Ubuntu packages should play nicely.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

Acrobat PDF Reader

RapidPHP

Don't rely on running programs through WINE, use Linux Native Alternatives when possible.

Distros I recommend

In terms of New Users coming from Windows to Linux, I have personally found that users have a easier time with KDE Neon and PopOS!.

My suggestion, just download a few Distros and play around in the Live Boot Environments.

4 hours ago, ASUS ROG said:

hello! 

Thanks 🌹

pasted-image-0-3.png

fedora

4 hours ago, ASUS ROG said:

hello! 

Thanks 🌹

pasted-image-0-3.png

Fedora is highly secure, has all the packages, has relatively newer packages than Debian and is just rock stable. Everything works as it should. Definitely reccomended, unless you are using NVIDIA.

28 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Fedora is highly secure, has all the packages, has relatively newer packages than Debian and is just rock stable. Everything works as it should.

Hmmm... that's not the experience I've had with Fedora...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Hmmm... that's not the experience I've had with Fedora...

Fedora is really reliable. It does have problems with stuff like wifi and nvidia. But once it is setup, no one looks back

13 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Fedora is really reliable. It does have problems with stuff like wifi and nvidia. But once it is setup, no one looks back

Thing is, somebody new to Linux is not going to want something which is a pain in the ass to set up, and they aren't going to want to have to build software from source to get it to work (software with existing Debian packages is far more common than RPM ones in my experience).

By all means use Fedora if that's what you like, but it's really not ideal for a newbie.

pythonmegapixel

So as a conclusion  Manjaro  is the most user friendly 

and others are more private secure 

Thanks

1 hour ago, ASUS ROG said:

Thanks

No not really.

In terms of Security, Manjaro will get patches long before Ubuntu, but it will also be the first to get new vulnerabilities.

In terms of Privacy, they are all pretty much the same, it will mostly come down to the Packages you decide to use.

In terms of User Friendliness, it depends on your definition. By my definition, Arch is the most User Friendly, but for the majority that may actually fall onto Ubuntu for its pre-configured packages and automation.

11 hours ago, ASUS ROG said:

hello! 

Thanks 🌹

pasted-image-0-3.png

Well Parrot OS Home is a good option

If you want to know if you can be tracked contact me at flowingriver2020@protonmail.com

#AntiPartyParrots

9 hours ago, ASUS ROG said:

Thanks

No it isn't.

Manjaro is good, but unless you are someone who wants new packages, stay on debian or ubuntu. While the AUR is amazing, manjaro community is small, as the arch forums do not like it. If your question was already asked by someone else. you will get a well detailed answer. But if it isn't you will need to wait for some time. Also it has a ton of dependencies. But overall, it is a pretty good distro.

Since you are a new user, try Pop_OS! or Mint. Both will be really boring, but everything just works.

The most user-friendly Linux Distro I've tried is without a doubt Neverware Cloudready. It's essentially a free version of ChromeOS, so it's an extremely simplistic OS that you really can't screw up. It also looks quite modern.

If you want a more capable OS, I'd say it's down to either Mint or some flavor of Ubuntu. I personally prefer Ubuntu because Mint visually looks very dated and tended to be buggy in my experience. 

As others have said, you don't need Adobe Reader for PDFs, as there are many open source alternatives. Also, you can just open PDFs in your browser. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

30 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

The most user-friendly Linux Distro I've tried is without a doubt Neverware Cloudready. It's essentially a free version of ChromeOS, so it's an extremely simplistic OS that you really can't screw up. It also looks quite modern.

I'd say describing that as a "Linux distribution", while technically correct, is a bit disingenuous, as when people are looking to switch to Linux, they aren't generally wanting ChromeOS!

If you want a more capable OS, I'd say it's down to either Mint or some flavor of Ubuntu. I personally prefer Ubuntu because Mint visually looks very dated and tended to be buggy in my experience. 

Have you tried Mint recently? It certainly used to look dated, but Cinnamon in particular looks pretty clean and modern now.

Honestly I find that a lot of the bugs in Mint are the same as the ones in upstream Ubuntu, though there are undoubtedly some differences.

30 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

As others have said, you don't need Adobe Reader for PDFs, as there are many open source alternatives. Also, you can just open PDFs in your browser. 

Agreed.

12 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

In terms of Security, Manjaro will get patches long before Ubuntu, but it will also be the first to get new vulnerabilities.

Yes, that's true. Ubuntu/Mint often seem to be a couple of kernel versions behind Arch and Manjaro, and of course being less "bleeding-edge" distributions they'll get fewer patches, but also fewer new problems.

That doesn't just apply to security, either. I used to use Ubuntu, but switched to Manjaro because kernel support for my wireless card in my laptop was added. I don't particularly like Manjaro that much, so as soon as the new kernel which supports my card filters down into Ubuntu I'll probably switch back, but for now the presence of a more recent kernel is something I value.

10 hours ago, jedifry said:

Well Parrot OS Home is a good option

Parrot is designed first and foremost for forensics/pentesting - if you're not into that you might as well just use Ubuntu Mate or something like that.

pythonmegapixel

Canonical has a questionable track record at best

If you want to know if you can be tracked contact me at flowingriver2020@protonmail.com

#AntiPartyParrots

39 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Chrome OS? Seriously?

3 minutes ago, jedifry said:

Canonical has a questionable track record at best

That's an interesting point, and it's the reason that, for a long time, I really liked Mint. Their main editions are currently Ubuntu-based - however, they've generally been very good about pushing back against Canonical's antics - see the fact that they now build their own Chromium because of unwanted changes from Canonicalthe fact that they require users to manually enable Canonical's Snap package manager, and their parallel version based on plain Debian specifically in case Canonical or Ubuntu ceased to exist..

I still do really like Mint, but for now I can't use it due to a few driver issues on my current machine. Also Mint does have quite a lot of issues with packages being very out of date in the repositories, though, and if you want the latest bleeding-edge stuff then Mint simply doesn't offer it. I think what we're learning here is that there are multiple distributions for a reason, and different people have different priorities!

pythonmegapixel

Isn't current Mint based on Debian ?

#AntiPartyParrots

3 minutes ago, jedifry said:

Isn't current Mint based on Debian ?

Well, sort of. The mainstream editions of Mint are based on Ubuntu. However, the same team maintains Linux Mint Debian Edition, which uses Debian as the base instead, and if Ubuntu ever went away, LMDE would become the mainstream.

From the LMDE download page:

LMDE is a Linux Mint project which stands for "Linux Mint Debian Edition".

Its goal is to ensure Linux Mint would be able to continue to deliver the same user experience, and how much work would be involved, if Ubuntu was ever to disappear. LMDE is also one of our development targets, to guarantee the software we develop is compatible outside of Ubuntu.

LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but without using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead.

Also - please remember to quote the posts you are responding to using this button: image.png.2232fd0f1c80b346aa0e5b8b87ead382.png 

pythonmegapixel

2 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Chrome OS? Seriously?

It's a linux distro that was modified to be basically a free version of ChromeOS.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

That doesn't just apply to security, either. I used to use Ubuntu, but switched to Manjaro because kernel support for my wireless card in my laptop was added. I don't particularly like Manjaro that much, so as soon as the new kernel which supports my card filters down into Ubuntu I'll probably switch back, but for now the presence of a more recent kernel is something I value.

If your biggest concern is the kernel, my go to Kernel on Ubuntu is https://liquorix.net/ It stays fairly close to upstream.

I am not positive if they pull in the latest firmware tree, but you can clone it from upstream if needed and just do "make install"

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

My wife Runs KDE Neon, as Arch is complicated for her and I am just not a fan of Manjaro personally. Since we play around with newer hardware though I always make sure she has a more upstream kernel and mesa build.

6 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

If your biggest concern is the kernel, my go to Kernel on Ubuntu is https://liquorix.net/ It stays fairly close to upstream.

Thanks for the recommendation there mate

I don't really have time to go and set up my system again and in any case Liquorix don't seem to have reached the 5.12 kernel (which I think is still in beta at the moment anyway) but when I have time and when 5.12 is out of beta I'll probably give that a go.

pythonmegapixel

4 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Thanks for the recommendation there mate

I don't really have time to go and set up my system again and in any case Liquorix don't seem to have reached the 5.12 kernel (which I think is still in beta at the moment anyway) but when I have time and when 5.12 is out of beta I'll probably give that a go.

5.12.4 is the latest stable (I'm still behind on 5.12.3), mainline is 5.13

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga