Refurbed Old PC

mfgrim1

Hi i cleaned out my old pc to give to my nephew, i fitted a new SSD and it wont post, nothing else was changed since i last used it which was about a year ago.

FX8350

R9 290X

Sabertooth 990FX 2.0

RM750 PSU

vengance ram sticks (can't remember the mhz)

The problem seems to be BOOT_DEVICE_LED where it won't get past that on startup, the led stays red, screen is black. So i'm guessing it's trying to use the old boot order before i put in a fresh SSD, i've tried different sata cables, sata slots on the mobo and power connections.

So then i tried clearing the CMOS with the jumpers, and took the mobo battery and cleared again - didn't work.

Lastly i tried to flash the bios via USB but the mobo doesn't recognise the .CAP file on the usb even after i renamed it according to what the manual instructed (ST990R20.CAP)

I'm at a lost guys - i just want to give my nephew a working PC

5 minutes ago, mfgrim1 said:

Hi i cleaned out my old pc to give to my nephew, i fitted a new SSD and it wont post, nothing else was changed since i last used it which was about a year ago.

FX8350

R9 290X

Sabertooth 990FX 2.0

RM750 PSU

The problem seems to be BOOT_DEVICE_LED where it won't get past that on startup, the led stays red, screen is black. So i'm guessing it's trying to use the old boot order before i put in a fresh SSD, i've tried different sata cables, sata slots on the mobo and power connections.

So then i tried clearing the CMOS with the jumpers, and took the mobo battery and cleared again - didn't work.

Lastly i tried to flash the bios via USB but the mobo doesn't recognise the .CAP file on the usb even after i renamed it according to what the manual instructed (ST990R20.CAP)

Just to clarify can you get into the bios or it wont even boot

5 minutes ago, mfgrim1 said:

FX8350

R9 290X

Sabertooth 990FX 2.0

RM750 PSU

I mean if it was a simple boot order issue you should still be able to get into the bios and change that. If you can't reach the bios then it's definitely not a simple boot order issue. 

27 minutes ago, FatApe79 said:

Just to clarify can you get into the bios or it wont even boot

i can't get into the bios, i boot it and it's just a black screen

Just now, mfgrim1 said:

i can't get into the bios, i boot it and it's just a black screen

Ok make sure all the cables are plugged in and the ram is in all the way- thats what got me last time. Also the video cable is plugged into the graphics card not the motherboard right?

correct cables are in, video is plugged into the graphics card yes. Starting to think the mobo is dead? 🤔

I'd reseat gpu, ram, all connectors, ssd...

Edit : HDMI or DisplayPort ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.