Is the reference Nvidia cooler "Good enough"?

MexicanAnimal

Hi all!

Well, I'm building a new rig, and I am going for a green/black colour scheme.

I am going with a G1 Sniper board, a H105 for the cooler and corsair SP120's for fans, and I'm doing custom colouring for those interchangeable rings.

I was having some issues with the GPU, I know I want to go with the 780, but I was only looking at aftermarket coolers, and completely forgot about the reference, which would work perfectly with the color scheme.

But my question is, is the reference cooler good enough? I do want to to do a bit of OC'ing, not too much though.

Thanks in advance! 

It's good enough, but don't look to overclock too much, you'd be better off buying a windforce and dyeing the cooler shroud green or something.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

The reference cooler should be good enough for what you are doing. I'm not certain how far you can overclock your 780 with that cooler, but I'm sure you can overclock it a bit. Don't quote me on it, though.

unlike amd one nvidia refrence cooler is fanfuckingtastic and it looks baller so yeah if it matches go for it

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Please don't double post. The reference cooler is good enough for what you want to do.

I didn't, I posted once as soon as the website went down, at least for me, and it double posted.

Ok thanks

The reference cooler is actually really good. I got around 60-70C temps with a good OC, though I regretted not getting an aftermarket card.

The reference cooler should be good enough for what you are doing. I'm not certain how far you can overclock your 780 with that cooler, but I'm sure you can overclock it a bit. Don't quote me on it, though.

unlike amd one nvidia refrence cooler is fanfuckingtastic and it looks baller so yeah if it matches go for it

Alright so it's good enough, but sadly the reference card is somehow more expensive than an ACX here in Aus, soooo now I don't know what to do, and I might go for a windforce, the windforce is about $100 less expensive than reference :/

A stock Nvidia cooler (780 in particular), unlike a stock Intel cooler, is more than capable to handle overclocking and looks amazing.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Alright so it's good enough, but sadly the reference card is somehow more expensive than an ACX here in Aus, soooo now I don't know what to do, and I might go for a windforce, the windforce is about $100 less expensive than reference :/

Cheaper and a better cooler. I don't see a problem with that. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Cheaper and a better cooler. I don't see a problem with that. 

Yeah, but I sorta wanted stock cooler for aesthetics :P But better cooling! :D

Hi all!

I am going with a G1 Sniper board, a H105 for the cooler and corsair SP120's for fans, and I'm doing custom colouring for those interchangeable rings.

I was having some issues with the GPU, I know I want to go with the 780, but I was only looking at aftermarket coolers, and completely forgot about the reference, which would work perfectly with the color scheme.

But my question is, is the reference cooler good enough? I do want to to do a bit of OC'ing, not too much though.

Thanks in advance! 

I have two GTX Titans obviously with a reference cooler. It does fine, I was actually quite surprised.

Today, my temperature for both GPUs is 35 Celsius, with the ambient temperature being 25 Celsius, so I'm quite happy with that.  

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have two GTX Titans obviously with a reference cooler. It does fine, I was actually quite surprised.

Today, my temperature for both GPUs is 35 Celsius, with the ambient temperature being 25 Celsius, so I'm quite happy with that.  

Wow, nice build! That must've cost a fortune, especially with Aussie prices :P

Alright thanks, I might go with the reference :D

Yeah. IMO the reference cooler is the sexiest of all coolers for the 780/780ti/titan/titan black.

Wow, nice build! That must've cost a fortune, especially with Aussie prices :P

Alright thanks, I might go with the reference :D

You should be fine, Melbourne's weather is finally cooling down. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Hi all!

Thanks in advance! 

sigh* i want to build a rig using the 780 and i think the reference design looks amazing but its really not worth it to me considering the r9 290 costs about 100$ less for the same performance

The stock cooler is generally regarded as pretty good for the GK110 cards, specifically the 780 however. I cannot say if the others are actually that great but I do know that the 780's has been reliable for many people, enough so to make it questionable as to whether or not you're actually getting much out of an extra $80~?+ for an EVGA Superclocked ACX gpu. (Edit: This was just as a random example. If I were to elaborate though, EVGA cards are really friggin' expensive to me and not much better, if at all better, than other brands in general.)

They are great, here in melbourne my reference GTX 680 (Before I got the DCUII one) I got it to push to 1250Mhz and only hit 64C under load. On the stock fan. They sure are solid. I'm quite sure they would be better for the 700 series too! :D

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

Just pick the card that looks the best to you.

The reference cooler is actually really good. I got around 60-70C temps with a good OC, though I regretted not getting an aftermarket card.

The stock cooler is quieter than the acx..

Overclocked my 780ti when testing my components,prior to hooking up my water cooling loop. As I see it you fine with stock cooler, the difference you see in benchmarks is just as varied between brands as it it is between samples of same product (silicone lottery). Over clocking so easy (just a mousclick) if I were you I'd run it stock clocked and just OC it when needed.I can't speak for how much lifespan of the gfx card is affected (doubt anyone can for sure).

For a green build I like the looks of the stock cooler too.

Hive Fire - Build of the Month March 2014.

Simple 760t Mod - erly ideas for Corsair 760t Mod