Any Linux solution for a laptop with a broken had drive?

Hi,

one old laptop I was using just had a hard drive failure.

I don't really want to bother (trying to) open the computer and see if I can change the drive.

I know the laptop is still working since it can still boot Batocera from a SD card.

What Linux distro, if any, would you recommend for boot & use from an external USB hard drive, USB key or SD card?

By the way, the laptop comes with a dual core i3, 8GB of ram and a touchscreen (said screen being the main reason I don't want to get rid of it yet) and is mainly used for education, YouTube and some games with my daughter.

Thanks

Anything basically.

I regularly use Ubuntu from SD/USB.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

There's no distribution that is specifically better for booting from a pendrive. Try keeping startup services at a minimum to get better performance as pendrives tend to slow down significantly under heavy use (i.e. loading a bunch of services at the same time).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Anything basically.

I regularly use Ubuntu from SD/USB.

I've found SD to be painfully slow in xubuntu, which is supposed to be pretty light. Was i slow for you too?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

A tad slow but perfectly usable

That's on a fast UHS-I U3, 90MB/s writes microSD and good USB 3.0 reader.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I tried using Slax this way, but it was a pile of crap. 

Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu. 

Also, replacing your laptop HDD with a new one or a cheap SSD is easy. It's usually just a few screws you have to move. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I'd put Ventoy on a good USB stick and after installing it try antiX.  With 8GB RAM, it should scream off of a USB3 flash drive and give the functionality desired.

Then, you could put other distro ISOs on it and compare.

There's another thread in here about how to do that.

Only a touchscreen or do you have a USB kewyboard, too. ?  Choose distro accordingly, but give Ventoy a try -- you should like it