High cpu usage but only on CPU1 until i open task manager

Go to solution Solved by MD Utsho,

Alright everyone 
If anyone is also facing this problem 
First of all you should do full scan of your drives, 
For me this didn't work cause the file which was running in backgrounds can't be detect as virus even with Malwarebytes 

I've tried many monitoring software, even with those software this virus treated them like task manager, So it disappeared instantly from those too 
Until i found remote process explorer which worked well
And i've found something called unarchiver.exe was using 25% of my cpu means 100% on core1 of my 4 core cpu. 

And after searching about this on google i've also found that ContentManagement in task scheduler starts this unarchiver.exe every 15min 
So i've deleted both of them (unarchiver.exe file which is about 200mb+ and ContentManagement in task scheduler) 

File location (
C:\Users\Windows 10\AppData\Roaming\unarchiver)

Some people in reddit said this started when they installed cracked version of Hitman 3, I did the same too :_: so maybe this was the culprit. 

It's been 30-40min i'm working on my PC, nothing is popping up like before, or those file is recreating like other viruses do. 

I'll keep monitoring this and keep this post updated if i see something else again.

Also thanks everyone for your suggestions.

image.png.3e939582ba3c7d5de93e82ec09390ee2.pngimage.png.12291937a200fd29a7a7abbabad0b838.png

Thank you so much for posting this. Have been looking for a fix for this problem for ages now. Found the unwanted "unarchiver.exe" file exactly where you sayd it would be, and the task scheduler had the task you were talking about.

I deleted those and have not had the problem again as of yet.

Thanks again for all your effort! 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I was having a similar problem although the files were different.

I use an HP pavillion laptop, it comes integrated with an app called "Omen Gaming Hub"(to which i'll refer as OGH for brevity) that monitors pc performance and serves as a companion for games. I recently noted that my CPU usage was higuer than normal even when my laptop was idle.

Since OGH would show the processes that are consuming more resources, I quickly identified the culprits:strange_update_process.png.ee44abb9a2783783b4b5041875405a60.png

Those two strange "update" processes were using a lot of my CPU. However since OGH doesn't allow to find more information about the processes running, I quickly went to the task manager to find, hopefully, the root of the problem. To my surprise, the moment I opened task manager the processes dissapeared and CPU usage went back to normal... and would start again a bit after closing Task Manager... After that, I decided to google a bit.

Strangely enough, searching the app name "update_2021112022..." didn't produce any results. I used a more general "processes that stop running when task manager opens" and I stumbled upon this thread. After installing Remote Process Explorer and searching the location of the processes, I found this:

posibleculprit.png.a7aead8c2eeae64248580b7f4cd91a75.png

"Up8d76c_12957" was the folder where these "updates" were installed. Also, the fact that "TheFastestMouseClicker" was installed at pretty much the same time catched my eye. Of couse my next move was uninstalling the autoclicker with the uninstall file that was inside the folder. It ran a few seconds and both folders were removed and CPU usage went back to usual. 

I post this here hoping that ppl googling for the process name or the folder name find this.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, Foxhound101 said:

Thank you so much for posting this. Have been looking for a fix for this problem for ages now. Found the unwanted "unarchiver.exe" file exactly where you sayd it would be, and the task scheduler had the task you were talking about.

I deleted those and have not had the problem again as of yet.

Thanks again for all your effort! 

That's Awesome, 
Glad I could help. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem, found the "unarchiver.exe" file exactly where you indicated it would be. However, my case is a little different. It seems this virus blocked me out from opening Task Scheduler, Services and who knows what else.

I get this message whenever I try to open any of those programs, and I can't find anything online on how to fix it. Any idea?

It's been more than a decade since I had to deal with a virus like this. It's really scary that none of the antivirus I tried could find it.

Capture.PNG

On 12/26/2021 at 5:27 AM, David Rochin said:

I had this problem, found the "unarchiver.exe" file exactly where you indicated it would be. However, my case is a little different. It seems this virus blocked me out from opening Task Scheduler, Services and who knows what else.

I get this message whenever I try to open any of those programs, and I can't find anything online on how to fix it. Any idea?

It's been more than a decade since I had to deal with a virus like this. It's really scary that none of the antivirus I tried could find it.

Capture.PNG

Just delete that "unarchiver.exe", but if somehow this virus still recover itself and you can't open Task Scheduler or any other services, 
Then just reinstall windows. Don't keep any previous files, completely format C drive before installing. 

• 3 months later...

Hi, I know the topic is old, but it helped me solve the problem.

I just wanted to add that the file on my computer has a new name: "archiver.exe" !!!

The windows were installed 2 months ago.

Unverified information from the Internet: The file is a coin miner trojan.

Whenever this happens it's easiest to do a clean install and start fresh, then avoid installing any pirated apps/games or any from shady websites. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing this. Helped me confirm my suspicion about Archiver.exe that was constantly at 100% usage on 6 threads... Appears to be the same thing with a slightly different name. 

Question for someone who may know. I was able to locate the file in appdata and get rid of it. I confirmed how I got the virus and deleted the source. I deleted all the regedit entries I felt confident enough in deleting. I ran a full sweep on a bunch of recommended anti-virus/malware programs. Anyone have any other suggestions to further sweep or ways that I can confirm that my system is clean? I'd really rather not reinstall Windows if I don't absolutely need to.... 

Fun fact, not a single AV/Malware detector picked up this specific file. Even when I turned off all the regedit entries and pointed Windows Defender/MalwareBytes directly at it, they all said it was clean. 

Oh and by the way, special mention for the Xbox Game Bar.... This is the second time(100% my fault) it has tipped me off to having a virus that auto-kills itself when Task Manager opens. If you didn't know, Game bar has a lighter version of task manager called Resources. So far it doesn't appear to trigger the self destruct routine in these tricky bastards. If it didn't tip me off who knows how long this thing would have been running before I caught on....

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for all the info! I have been going insane over this issue for a week seeing idle CPU temperatures hover between 70-80°C then jumping back to its normal 35-40°C range as soon as I open Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Absolutely nothing showing up on malware scans. But sure enough I found Archiver.exe sitting exactly where you said it would be, as well as the ContentManagement file in C:/Windows/System32/Tasks. Files were created the same day I first opened up a recently released cracked game, despite scanning it beforehand. Deleting seems to have fixed the problem. Stay safe out there gamers. 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:51 PM, vares said:

Thank you so much for all the info! I have been going insane over this issue for a week seeing idle CPU temperatures hover between 70-80°C then jumping back to its normal 35-40°C range as soon as I open Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Absolutely nothing showing up on malware scans. But sure enough I found Archiver.exe sitting exactly where you said it would be, as well as the ContentManagement file in C:/Windows/System32/Tasks. Files were created the same day I first opened up a recently released cracked game, despite scanning it beforehand. Deleting seems to have fixed the problem. Stay safe out there gamers. 

Do you remember which game it was, or which crack you used? So what we can know which scene is actually doing this to us. 
However for me I'm not exactly sure, maybe It was Hitman 3, But don't know which crack it was.  

On 7/29/2022 at 4:25 AM, MD Utsho said:

Do you remember which game it was, or which crack you used? So what we can know which scene is actually doing this to us. 
However for me I'm not exactly sure, maybe It was Hitman 3, But don't know which crack it was.  

Had the same issue with that Archiver.exe for a week now after installing a Forza Horizon 5 repack I presume. Thanks for posting this, finally I can sleep with my fans not drilling a hole in my head if I have to leave the pc running. The weird thing was that The pirate bay proxy site was hacked that day and redirected me to fake TBP proxies with fake torrent files too, only realised when opened the first archive I downloaded, so I'm not entirely sure which repack exactly it was, but I had multiple versions of EMPRESS and CODEX repacks, although CODEX always worked great for me in the past. My guess is either those fake torrents or one of these repacks had something to do with it (tho I will personally blame this new "empress" cus codex saved my tiny childhood wallet one too many times, but the torrent files could've easily been replaced, so idk anymore).

This is what I get for pirating a single game after 10 years of buying them -_- 

Check your torrents kids :)